PDF vs Print materials

Victim

First Post
Interestingly, I found that the text file for BoEM2 was formated somewhat. In notepad, it's a worthless jumble, but when I opened it Word, everything lined itself up nicely.

I like PDFs. I have many, many page of free printing and am often up early enough to use computer labs during non peak hours, so I print stuff without interfering with anyone else. Also, I like having a CD with my books.

Finally, the limited space in my room makes keeping 3 different books open inconvient while I can easy keep one book open with the PDFs in windows to save space. I also don't have to dig books out of my gaming backpack all the time.

We've had an offer from a kind group whose name of course I can't disclose, but nothing concrete yet. Even if discussions did work out, it would be at least 6 months before the book saw print, due to time needed to re-layout it and inform distributors. I'd be thrilled if we could have a print release, but I'm remaining skeptical for the time being.

enrious

I'm a huge fan of pdfs for many of the above reasons - portability, cost, compact storage, etc.

I guess I also like it because it levels the playing field for the newcomers.

I've bought pdf books that I might not have read if they were print versions - like the Librium Equitis and Maidenheim. Having read them as pdfs, I know I would have been making a mistake by passing them up.

Sure I bought BOEM2 and Wild Spellcraft when they came out but I think I'd have bought them as printed material anyway. I'm enjoying the Complate Librum...Necromatic Arts and Maidenheim - put out by smaller publishers/names.

I also like the idea that maybe I'm encouraging someone to continue producing good ideas - like the old shareware model. I'm seriously considering some of the other products over at RPGNow, like some of the floorplans in the hopes that (if the product is good) the authors will be encouraged to write more.

And I know this thread is geared toward new material, but I must also say I'm a fan of pdfs because of the ESD files available from WOTC - how cool is it to get Kara Tur for $5?

gubaru

First Post
I like pdfs. It helps that I have access to a copier/printer combo that does duplex printing. I also like being able to get three pdfs for the price of a printed source book.

As far as pdf to print comparisons, I don't care much about the difference. I've never had any trouble reading them once they're printed and I don't miss the color.

TalonComics

First Post
One of the biggest draw backs to pdfs right now is this:
There are more gamers *without* internet access than there are with access.
So in a publisher's stand point you'd want to get your product to the larger audience. Plus, just as Gariig's post pointed out, it's very simple just to run copies off and give them to your friends instead of each of them buying the book. Pdfs are also very easy to dump on a warez site.

Not that many publishers are going to disclose this but I imagine pdf numbers versus print numbers are going to have a major gap inbetween them.

As a retailer of course I'm going to prefer print versus pdf as most retailers don't have any way to sell pdfs.

As a fan I like pdfs just because I can get a book and read it before it's actually printed. I bought BoEM both as a pdf and as a hard copy and I actually look at the hard copy more often than my pdf. I imagine it will be the same way when BoEM2 and If Thoughts Could Kill will be released. It's much easier for me to lug small printed books around than binder bound computer prints.

~Derek
www.taloncomics.com
Your Local Gaming Store Online!

enrious

TalonComics said:
So in a publisher's stand point you'd want to get your product to the larger audience. Plus, just as Gariig's post pointed out, it's very simple just to run copies off and give them to your friends instead of each of them buying the book. Pdfs are also very easy to dump on a warez site.

It's fairly easy to xerox a printed book as well. Having said that I will not dispute that it's probably easier to redistribute a pdf than a printed book - but in either case it isn't that difficult or expensive.

More's the pity...

Not that many publishers are going to disclose this but I imagine pdf numbers versus print numbers are going to have a major gap inbetween them.

Again, I won't dispute this statement. I simply know that for me I probably do prefer pdfs, but if I didn't have such cheap printing readily available I'd much rather spend $5-$10 more for a professionally printed copy.

As a retailer of course I'm going to prefer print versus pdf as most retailers don't have any way to sell pdfs.

This is perhaps a nutshell of the local vs. internet commerce in every industry.

As a fan I like pdfs just because I can get a book and read it before it's actually printed. I bought BoEM both as a pdf and as a hard copy and I actually look at the hard copy more often than my pdf. I imagine it will be the same way when BoEM2 and If Thoughts Could Kill will be released. It's much easier for me to lug small printed books around than binder bound computer prints.

The only thing I'd like to remark about this is that you are not limited to binders - you can get loose-leaf folders for around $.50 at any office supply company that are not rigid (therefore taking up less space) and even having a transparent cover (to show off the pretty cover page). These take up as little as one quarter the space required for a traditional 1" binder. So much the better if you have a printer capable of double sided printing.

Make no mistake, I love buying a printed product such as the FRCS or Relics and Rituals but by the same token I enjoy seeing some of the lesser well-known products like Maidenheim for an inexpensive product. It means that I can enjoy a diversity of material that I wouldn't have if I looked at pdfs or printed materials exclusively.

Hats off to you Derek, I have a great admiration for what retailers like you do for our hobby.

~Derek
www.taloncomics.com
Your Local Gaming Store Online! [/B][/QUOTE]

omedon

First Post
I love them for all the reasons stated above. Also I also do a lot of work planning my adventures on the computer and it is handy to not have to run and grab the book. Thanks to PDF's and progressive publishers like Monte I have a small library of PDF's on my PC. The only downside is they can be diffcult to buy for the credit card impaired. I have to get my brother or mother to purchase them for me.

PDF's the wave of the future. :)

Scarab

First Post
With stuff like the BoEM's, you hardly ever need to use everything at once, so a PDF were you can just print the pages you want to use is nice.

For adventures and pure sourcebooks, I prefer an "analog" copy. Rules stuff is perfect for the PDF format.

I tend to make copious amounts of notes from various books anyway, instead of dragging every book I might need with me.

UD

First Post
Re: Re: PDF vs Print materials

Having a laptop open is Ok for people who can afford one... Few students can :D

But the benefit of being a student is the high end laser printers churned out a black and white copy of BoEM2 in about 5 minutes, and at minimal cost to me (Subsidised printing costs!)

Darrell

First Post
Hmmmmmmm.....looks like I gotta speak up for the grognards. :)

Personally, I just don't like pdfs (or any other 'non-pre-printed' format, for that matter). I simply prefer purchasing--and using--a physical product.

In fact, _purchasing_ isn't even the issue--since (as a general rule) I also don't download the free stuff either.

The only exception so far has been the few pages in WotC's 'Tome and Blood' web enhancement that had the "Sample Wizards' Spellbooks" on them. I printed those pages (but didn't download/save them, oddly enough), and put 'em in my DM's Notebook.

So count one vote for 'print-only.'

Regards,
Darrell King

Remove ads