D&D 5E Philosophy of Greataxe vs. Greatsword

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Philosophy the first:

Look, it’s a straightforward optimization question. In 5e D&D a greatsword swings with 2d6 for an average of 7 damage. A greataxe has that impressive 1d12 damage die, but that’s only 6.5 average damage. Over the life of a campaign, you’re just straight up dealing more damage with a greatsword. That advantage is compounded by the great weapon fighting style, allowing for more frequent damage bumps from more frequent re-rolls. I mean sure, you get a uniform distribution with the greataxe, meaning that you can occasionally swing for crazy damage compared to the more reliable bell curve distribution on the greatsword. But you’re also increasing your chances of lower-than-average damage, and that means you run the risk of under-performing when you really need to put a baddy down. So unless you’ve got some special mojo going (half-orc barbarians with savage attacks and brutal critical are the most common use case) you’re always better off going for the greatsword.

Philosophy the second:

Me like smash. Me choose greataxe!

Your choice of weapon says a lot about who you are as a gamer. Are you trying to fit a badass mental image or are you trying to solve an interesting maths question? Of course, I’m willing to bet that there are other thought processes than the philosophies listed above. So how about it, guys? When it comes time to choose your weapon, how do you make your decision?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

ECMO3

Hero
Philosophy the first:

Look, it’s a straightforward optimization question. In 5e D&D a greatsword swings with 2d6 for an average of 7 damage. A greataxe has that impressive 1d12 damage die, but that’s only 6.5 average damage. Over the life of a campaign, you’re just straight up dealing more damage with a greatsword. That advantage is compounded by the great weapon fighting style, allowing for more frequent damage bumps from more frequent re-rolls. I mean sure, you get a uniform distribution with the greataxe, meaning that you can occasionally swing for crazy damage compared to the more reliable bell curve distribution on the greatsword. But you’re also increasing your chances of lower-than-average damage, and that means you run the risk of under-performing when you really need to put a baddy down. So unless you’ve got some special mojo going (half-orc barbarians with savage attacks and brutal critical are the most common use case) you’re always better off going for the greatsword.

Philosophy the second:

Me like smash. Me choose greataxe!

Your choice of weapon says a lot about who you are as a gamer. Are you trying to fit a badass mental image or are you trying to solve an interesting maths question? Of course, I’m willing to bet that there are other thought processes than the philosophies listed above. So how about it, guys? When it comes time to choose your weapon, how do you make your decision?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)
Aside from thematic purposes (which are broader than you alluded to) there are two other obvious reasons, first is cost and second that you found a magic or silver great axe.

To be honest though if you really want to be picky, there is no reason to use a greatsword either when a maul is available, does the same damage and is a lot cheaper to buy.

Horwath

Legend
They needed a d12 two-handed weapon, also it was d12 in 3rd edition and 4th edition.

as for flavor, you can always say;
I have a big sword/axe/hammer/spear, it's martial, two-handed, heavy, costs 50GP and it deals 2d6 of slashing or piercing or bludgeoning damage.

As a DM I will typically allow players to change the flavor of their weapons if the mechanical impact of that change is minimal or zero.

In the case of great sword vs great axe: Both deal slashing damage and cost around the same. So, if a player tells me that her character wants to buy a greatsword, but instead have it reforged and turn the pointy end into a comfortable handhold, and the add a sharp edge to the blunt end - effectively turning it into an axe - and then do 2d6 damage with that axe, then I would never object. Especially not if they are willing to spend a little gold on that.

Shiroiken

Legend
The weapons table is one of my biggest gripes about 5E, even though it doesn't really have that much an impact on the game overall. In general, I feel that axes are a lower level of technology than swords would be, which is why it's generally associated with barbaric creatures. Dwarves are an interesting exception to this, for unknown in game reasons. I feel the cost should reflect this, since better technological weapons would be harder to come by.

Horwath

Legend
The weapons table is one of my biggest gripes about 5E, even though it doesn't really have that much an impact on the game overall. In general, I feel that axes are a lower level of technology than swords would be, which is why it's generally associated with barbaric creatures. Dwarves are an interesting exception to this, for unknown in game reasons. I feel the cost should reflect this, since better technological weapons would be harder to come by.
one solution to this would be that you make base damage equal, then for difference in cost you give axes slashing damage and swords slashing&piercing, in most cases it won't matter, but those few resistance moments would make it worth is.

So "primitive" warrior might have an axe plus spear, while some city dwelling noble could get away with carrying only a sword and have the versatility.

Or make a version of pollaxe, with all 3 damage types and reach and you're good to go.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I suggested in a playtest survey to give fighters the ability to reroll a single damage dice Intelligence modifiers times per rest. Woulda made great axe warriors more common.

Remove ads