Pineapple Express: Someone Is Wrong on the Internet?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The most recent game I've seen where the trailing team pulled it off was a PWHL game, Montreal against Minnesota. Minnesota was up 3-2 with like 2 1/2 minutes to go. Montreal pulled their goalie, scored to tie it up, and then proceeded to score a 5v5 goal a minute or so later to win in regulation. I can't immediately think of a NHL example, but I know I've seen it.
Exactly. It’s chasing a ghost.

It’s the hockey equivalent to…

EA73F6C1-A41C-4BBD-9614-7CCBFB8FA483.jpeg

Ryujin

Legend
My buddy who played with me was a much better tactician and generally won the games. He was a big Federation stan, but since he was better at tactics he generally was able to win anyway...
It becomes easier if you know who you'll be going up against, ahead of time, and are able to modify your ships to suit. Going Fed works better, against Kzinti, if you can swap some of your Phasers for the point defence kind. If using the standard Constitution class then using the Command Cruiser variant, with the extra 360 degree Phaser bank as point defence, also helps. I haven't played in almost 40 years, but had fun when I did. Almost always played Fed.

Okay, subject got me thinking, especially since we are having pizza this weekend.

Everyone talks about pineapple on pizza, and they know it as Hawaiian. However, in Hawaii, it’s not pineapple and ham, but pineapple and SPAM.

Why on earth would you put Spam on pizza? Frankly, I don’t like Spam at all.

(Yes, I know we’ll invariably get the song).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
Okay, subject got me thinking, especially since we are having pizza this weekend.

Everyone talks about pineapple on pizza, and they know it as Hawaiian. However, in Hawaii, it’s not pineapple and ham, but pineapple and SPAM.

True story.

I once lived in a place where the local pizza joint would put spam on the pizza by default.

Yeah, that meant that if you ordered a cheese pizza, you would get a cheese pizza, with spam.

You actually had to say, "Cheese pizza, only cheese (or "no spam")" if you didn't want spam on it.

I don't have any rational explanation for this. And no, it wasn't in Hawaii.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Spam is popular because it is made of pork, is shelf stable, and has a long shelf life. Pork is a staple of the Polynesian, Pacific Islander, Hawaiian, etc diet so the cheaper, longer lasting Spam was adopted.

There is a debunked urban legend. Do not click that if you’re squeamish.

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario

Well, spam has a long shelf life, maybe even indefinite. Was pretty tricky getting refrigerated products to Hawaii for quite some time. So, they got a lot of spam there and folks took to it.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
Spam is popular because it is made of pork, is shelf stable, and has a long shelf life. Pork is a staple of the Polynesian, Pacific Islander, Hawaiian, etc diet so the cheaper, longer lasting Spam was adopted.

There is a debunked urban legend. Do not click that if you’re squeamish.
Despite identifying as a Mid-Westerner, I was born in Hawaii, to a military family. We moved when I was just a baby so I don't remember much, but my dad loves Spam and blames it on his time spent over there. Hawaii, being a small group of islands depends on having a large amount of their goods shipped there from the mainland US, or other places.. So lots of things, especially grocery staples end up being very expensive.

Like you said.. Spam is long lasting, and shelf stable. Plus it's packaged very densely and easier to ship large quantities of. Shipping equivalent amounts of fresh raw pork would require a lot more packaging space, and refrigeration.

Lastly, it's high in sodium, and people tend to love salt.

Even as a kid growing up in the southern US, and then in the Mid-West I ate a lot of Spam. Especially at breakfast.

Remove ads