Pineapple Express: Someone Is Wrong on the Internet?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back to sandwiches for a moment…

If you really want to up your game on sandwiches and related dishes, try experimenting with the cheeses you use.

For instance, I’ve tried many different kinds on my ham sandwiches, and one unlikely pairing I found worked well was blue cheese. Use a good one- Stilton, blue castello, cambozolla- and the tangy cheese will play nicely with the salty ham.

Or consider the classic lox & cream cheese on a bagel. I subbed a garlic herbed D’affinois (a kind of Brie) for the cream cheese and was rewarded with a more complex and tasty dining experience. I bet a gournay (see Boursin) would also make for a nice change up.

And then there’s the simple perfection of a grilled cheese/ham & cheese. For most of my life, I made them either with American cheese or velveeta. But I’ve experimented with goudas, gruyères, havartis and others, and now it’s unusual for me to use fewer than 3 different cheeses simultaneously when I make one.

Beyond that? There’s a big world of breads, mustards, sprouts, herbs and so forth to experience.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Oh, I'm sure you have insights into this thread on a topic about which you know nothing and insist on not learning anything, good thing I'm not actually reading.

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Local joint has a Cuban on its menu made with local pastrami… it’s good… but that’s not a Cuban!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Local joint has a Cuban on its menu made with local pastrami… it’s good… but that’s not a Cuban!
That aforementioned culinary institute sandwich teacher has several Cuban variants on his deli’s menu. Don’t think any have pastrami on them, though.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
According to a certain thread, I'm "an elite" because I used to make art for a living.

I'm gonna call my mom and tell her that I'm one of The Elite. I think we could both use a good laugh.
Well, you are elite because you have the dedication, patience, and drive to learn a skill that most others could never learn and so dismiss out of hand or want a shortcut to. I don't know about "The Elite" though. That might go to your head. Settle down. You're not that elite.

Remove ads