• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Set in the multiverse = set everywhere. That's so broad that setting becomes meaningless, since setting is more specific than that.
It’s very meaningful. The D&D multiverse setting has a ton of specific cosmological assumptions and built-in lore that, say, the World of Darkness setting doesn’t.

Charlaquin

I know when I order from Amazon, I put my mailing address as Earth. Since it's all the same planet, getting more specific than that is meaningless.
We just going to ignore the part where I said you can have more specific settings nested within broader settings, or…?

Charlaquin

A multiverse includes everything that can possibly be imagined. Therefore, the MCU multiverse and the Star Wars multiverse exist within the D&D multiverse, and visa versa.
No, those are vastly different settings. The Great Wheel isn’t a thing in the MCU multiverse, and the Bifrost isn’t a thing in the D&D multiverse (or, well, there might be something by that name, but if so it works differently).

It’s very meaningful. The D&D multiverse setting has a ton of specific cosmological assumptions and built-in lore that, say, the World of Darkness setting doesn’t.
The World of Darkness is part of the D&D multiverse. Ergo, when within the part of the multiverse that is the World of Darkness, the specific cosmological assumptions that apply to the world of darkness are true.

nevin

Hero
No, those are vastly different settings. The Great Wheel isn’t a thing in the MCU multiverse, and the Bifrost isn’t a thing in the D&D multiverse (or, well, there might be something by that name, but if so it works differently).
A multiverse includes everything that can possibly be imagined.......and no there will be an infinite number of bifrost's that works exactly that way and an infinite number that don't.

When did anyone use World of Darkness as a D&D setting? Do you have a link?
Same time as they used Gamma World. It's a hypothetical, but using settings from other RPGs (as well as books, films etc) for D&D is not a new idea. Back in the 80s I did crossovers with Doctor Who, Star Trek, and Golden Heroes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Same time as they used Gamma World. It's a hypothetical, but using settings from other RPGs (as well as books, films etc) for D&D is not a new idea. Back in the 80s I did crossovers with Doctor Who, Star Trek, and Golden Heroes.
But just you can do a thing, it doesn't follow that it's now part of the multiverse for everyone.

nevin

Hero
somewhere I have an old timeline from 1985 through Shadowrun into Gamma World. Even Ran a crossover DND game with a group of gamma world characters .

Remove ads

Remove ads