• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

You clearly didn't work in a secondary school in the 2010s!
I feel like I'd question who teacher believes the "cool kids" are. 80% of teachers would get that wrong imo!

As for rest, yeah, no thanks mate, science, archaeology and history all utterly refute that notion that vague wishy-washy mostly-imagined patterns are real and details are "missing the point". That's Guardian/Times/Telegraph columnist nonsense, frankly. And not the good columnists either!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What @Micah Sweet hates is lore that replaces or sits alongside existing/older lore. They, correct me if I am wrong, believe it is lazy to not incorporate old lore into new lore. So change is generally ok, if there is a story/lore reason for it. Not saying I agree, just what I have gathered after many conversations regarding lore with MS.
You are correct, that is my problem. Adding is fine. Adding retroactively is fine if it can be made to make sense. Removing or changing old lore (which I regard as changing the history of the imaginary world) is my issue.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I can relate to the debt thing for sure.
Debt is stressful enough. Going into debt because your decent job is now basically paying garbage compared to cost of living and realizing there is very little you could have done to avoid it is…crushing.

I absolutely get why a lot of folks get mad at optimists. I just wish they’d admit that thier pessimism isn’t any less a bias than our optimism.

Dire Bare

Legend
Planescape was undoubtedly humorous. But it played into the trend for pretending to understand philosophy - seen as a sure-fire path to romantic success in the 90s. Lots of people took it seriously, not understanding the joke (also true for a lot of Neil Gaiman readers). As for vampires, sure they have long been popular and continue to be popular in some circles, but they had a big explosion in mainstream popularity in the 90s (spawning rapidly forgotten TV shows like Ultraviolet). Then they where replaced by zombies, who where replaced by - well, I don't spend so much time in secondary schools these days, so I don't know what the cool kids are currently into, but I've watched plenty of trends ebb and flow.

In the middle school where I teach . . . it's anime/manga. I also see a lot of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson.

I feel like I'd question who teacher believes the "cool kids" are. 80% of teachers would get that wrong imo!

As for rest, yeah, no thanks mate, science, archaeology and history all utterly refute that notion that vague wishy-washy mostly-imagined patterns are real and details are "missing the point". That's Guardian/Times/Telegraph columnist nonsense, frankly. And not the good columnists either!

Tell me you don't work in the public schools, without telling me you don't work in the public schools.

I am indeed British, and have only worked in British schools (state and private). I have no idea what is cool in US schools. I've also been semi-retired since Covid, so my info is a couple of years out of date.

In the context, by "cool kid" I mean those who are into whatever is currently popular. The dedicated followers of fashion, as the Kinks put it.

Clearly, the kids who are actually cool are the ones who think for themselves, and therefore cannot be categorised.
Sure with that definition of "cool kid" I agree. Those were always the second-rank "cool kids" at most in my experience, but that's from inner London schools and those elsewhere may differ.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads