• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Playtest 6 Survey is Open

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It’s not about panic mode. This is how the Unearthed Arcana playtest process has worked since all the way back in the D&D Next days. It’s not a secret - WotC has openly and repeatedly said this is how it works, but for some reason people keep being surprised when WotC does exactly what they keep saying they’ll do, and keep doing.

It’s very simple: if the general response is “unsatisfied,” they don’t consider the idea good enough at base to be worth iterating on to bring it up to “satisfied.” On the other hand, if the general response is “satisfied,” they consider it a worthwhile idea, and are willing to do some iteration to try to bring it up to “very satisfied.”

We can certainly argue about whether or not that’s a good policy, but they’ve been very consistent in it for the past decade. Whether you think it’s a good policy or not, it should at least be clear that the most effective way to engage in the playtest process is to vote “very satisfied” if you want to see something preserved as-presented, vote “satisfied” and give feedback if you want to see something iterated on, and vote “very dissatisfied” if you want to see something abandoned entirely. “Dissatisfied” is mostly an ineffective response for achieving any specific goals; it moves the needle towards the thing being scrapped, but not as much as “very dissatisfied” does. I guess maybe pick that option for things you don’t really want, but could live with if they make it in?
Totally agree, this is the most commercially successful version of D&D ever and thus the most commercially ttrpg ever, this has been part of the model that created it. They are sticking with it, so they have some reason to believe that it is important to the success of D&D.
Claims about the validity or otherwise of the surveys, as a marketing tool does not take into account the other resources that WoTC have available to them and how this data and the question in the surveys are informed by other data available to WoTC because we do not know what that data is saying.
This model is extremely unlikely to change unless on of the 5e derived D&Ds become a serious competitor along the lines of Pathfinder 1e vs 4e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm sure if they put Thac0 back into the 24 PHB, there would be no problem, right?
Less than you might think: again, the math spread in the 2E books is the same as 5E, although the Monsters had higher AC then: 25 (aka -5) is the highest AC for any 5E Monster, while -12 (aka 32) appears in the Moantroud Manual it seems

Chaosmancer

Legend
Incorrect, the Divine Smote is worth 8d6+mod. As I said, Divine Smite isna four Spell Point ability for the Leve 1 Slot Flurry of Blows costs 1 Spell Poomt for each bat h of two.

Yes, I misspoke there. However, if you read my post, I did the math correctly. So, please respond to that.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Lets not forget: many damage bonuses, including divine smite, will be only once per turn in 2024. That alone means, that the 2024 monk will be relatively less behind than the 2014 monk.

Um... no? None of the math I've been talking about has the Paladin using smite more than once per turn. That is either a non-factor in the analysis or accounted for in the analysis.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I would like to see the math and the assumptions going on. Maybe but I missed it. Is it worse than 2014? Probably not. Maybe, because you can't spam stunning strike.

I think I remember the DnDnext Playtest, where monk damage went up several d6s as they leveled up. Maybe that would be the right kind of scaling for unarmed strikes...

D6 for starters. D8 At level 5. 2d6 at level 11. 2d8 at level 17. Or so.

Treantmonk lays out his math pretty succinctly

Also, you have to remember... most monks were never using unarmed strikes as their primary method of damage dealing. Every monk I ever saw at the table did 1d8+mod and then 2d8+modx2 for their main attacks... basically until they reached 17th level, because they used a Quarterstaff.

Even now, they would be incentivized to use the staff until 11th level when it jumps to d10's. Until that point, they are only getting the bigger damage die on the bonus action attack.

Remathilis

Legend
Less than you might think: again, the math spread in the 2E books is the same as 5E, although the Monsters had higher AC then: 25 (aka -5) is the highest AC for any 5E Monster, while -12 (aka 32) appears in the Moantroud Manual it seems
You are so adamant in defending your position that there are no systemic problems with 5e that you are willing to argue that "actually, Thac0 was a good thing and didn't need to be changed" because you can't admit that D&D rules sometimes need to change for the better?

Just when I think I've seen it all...

Remove ads