• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtest: Warlock Updates

I also believe, dire radiance should be changed to con or cha... OR a star pact warlord should get cha to his AC instead of int...

this way you are not that dependant on 3 stats... (2 stats is enough)

I'm assuming by Eldritch Bolt you mean Eldritch Blast? If so, it always was a RBA. I don't see anything called Eldritch Strike, though. Where was that?

Eldritch Bolt is a hexblade power from HoFK. Eldritch Strike is from the Player's Handbook Heroes miniatures; it can be taken instead of Eldritch Blast and counts as an MBA.

Destil

Explorer
I think the Star Pact still needs some work... I'd like to see Dire Radiance get switched to a Con or Cha power, for example, or else get a second Star Pact option. Cut down on their MAD a bit.

-O

The only thing I've seen as potential feedback so far is that Dire Radiance and a handfull of other star warlock powers should be Cha or Con or they should just drop Cha entirely and all starlock powers should be Con.

Also, they should remove the pact descriptors from the power names, for the same reason they did so with Arcane Power (leaving it on ones with pact-specific kickers would be fine).

mkill

Adventurer
Making Dire Radiance as Cha or Con would be the very first thing I'd do if I rewrite the PHB warlock. This has been a major bugbear for 3 years by now. In fact, all Star Pact powers should be switched to Cha or Con, similar to what has been done for Sorcerer King pact and Infernal to some extent.

The other problem with both Dire Radiance and Hellish Rebuke is that it is unclear whether the follow-up damage can be dealt once, or always when the condition is fulfilled. There is a consensus on the Charop boards, but that doesn't mean it's general practice at all game tables. Both powers need a rewrite.

Eldritch Blast: Just make it a class feature already, FFS. The Mage has set the right precedent with Magic Missile.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm playing a balanced stat dwarf Starlock right now, and while I agree with some of what was said, I don't know that boosting damage is the way to go. (Ditto reducing the Starlock's MAD.) Boosting the probability that damage will be done is perfectly acceptable to me.

So, I'm 100% behind some of the revisions that add "Miss" effects. However, looking at the power, Fury of Gibbeth (Dragon Annual), we see a high-damage power with nifty secondary effects that uses a Starlock's tertiary stat (Int) for its targeting...but with a +2 bonus on that roll.

There's no reason that one or more of the Starlock- or any Warlock- powers simply get an accuracy boost similar to that mentioned above. Miss effects are nice, but hitting for full effect is nicer.

Last edited:

Psikus

Explorer
I think prime shot needs to go and warlocks gain a flat +1 bonus to attacks against cursed targets.

I wouldn't do that... I have always liked prime shot, because it makes ranged characters who would otherwise sit and shoot from a safe distance have a reason to care for positioning. It's not terribly strong, but I'd look for different places to give a boost to the class.

On a related note, I deeply hate the Called Shot feat, because nothing should grant that kind of damage boost, and much less to the ranger class. Unfortunately, this doesn't belong to this batch of errata, but I'd really like to see it toned down to a +3, at most.

Remove ads