D&D General Poll: Combat or Roleplay?

Main focus of a D&D game for you?

Hey all,

It is well-known that the main goal of all players is to mess with the DM and for the DM to kill the players. But outside that, I am curious to see what you all focus your attention on: combat or roleplay? Given the content of most threads, I have a suspicion, but that may be all wrong.

Choose your favorite campaign if you end up wanting to click both options.

Personally I love the roleplay when I DM and I encourage players to interact as much as they like (I even give XP for roleplay). In the game where I am a player, the DM sends us from one dungeon to the next so logically my character is getting optimized for combat. I vote roleplay though.

Both? But if we have to choose one, I would say roleplay depends on the DM and other players. Roleplay with some is okay, but not great. Combat with some is okay, but not great. But if you need to choose one, I would say the focus of most tables that I have seen is combat.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My fundamental focus of play is on conflict, although it doesn't have to be specifically combat. I like the focus to be on drama over planning and exploration.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If I had a D&D that was all roleplay and no combat, I'd happily play D&D.

If I had a D&D that was all combat and no roleplay... I'd never play D&D. There are dozens of better board games out there that I'd much rather play first.

There's a reason why the D&D miniatures and board games all had very short shelf lives. Because on their own without the character and narrative connected to them, the D&D combat rules as a whole just aren't that compelling.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I enjoy both, but my favorite is roleplay through combat.

I feel like combat and dungeon-crawling is actually the most democratic part of a D&D game. It gives everyone a turn, and usually all the characters have abilities that can be used well. Even a roleplay-heavy bard has a Vicious Mockery they can pull out.

I also think combat allows characters to show off who they are. And if you design it right, it can force characters to make difficult decisions in the moment (Grab the precious gem or help the dying NPC???) that create great roleplaying opportunities!

Remove ads