• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: What Kind of Pet Person Are You?

What kind of pet person are you?

• Cat

Votes: 70 43.2%
  • Dog

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Bird

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reptile/Amphibian

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Rodent

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Insect/Arachnid/Crustacean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exotic (primates, swine, sugar gliders, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Multiple (e.g., cat & dog, amphibian & reptile, etc.)

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • None--not an animal person at all

Votes: 16 9.9%

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
reanjr said:
Wow. When I first saw this, I figure the huge love of cats was a statistical anomoly (not a big enough set). But it's staying there.

I agree with that, BTW, I just find it odd to see so many other cat people.
What is odd is that so many of us like cats and we are players of a game that interest cats...papers and book to lay on as we try to work, dice that make noise and roll about... :lol:

Kesh

First Post
Multiple. Dogs are the easiest to get along with. I love cats, but they tend to be neurotic (or psychotic, in one case... toes are not for eating!). I'd love to have a pet rat, or maybe a ferret. And, hermit crabs are kinda cute.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I like dogs, never owned a misbehaved one (after their first year that is, cause they tended to be a bit... silly that first year). I don't like cats, but I'll tolerate them.

ASH

First Post
I am a cat person. We dont have any right now because we live in an apartment, but I have 2 at my moms house. If I had to choose a second it would be a fish. I love fish, no real reason, but I have connections with fish on an unexplainable level.
I have never had a really great dog, but all i ever had growing up were farm dogs that were not trained well, so they were not much of the typical "Lassie, fetch this" kind of dog.

I would be open to getting a dog, when my kids get old enough to take care of it.

Meloncov

First Post
Am I the only Reptile lover here? And I though they were the iconic geek pet. However, I limit myself to my Igauna, as with outher reptiles you need to deal with live and or expensive food. And Igunas look like Psuedo-dragons if you make wings for them.

haiiro

First Post
I'm a cat person, but I became allergic to them a few years ago. Now I'm a cat person who appreciates not having cats. ;)

Over the years and at different times, I've had cats, hamsters, ferrets and snails, as well as two rescued pigeons and an anole. The snails were from a school science project -- they can self-procreate, so my one snail became three generations of snails over the course of a few months. At their peak, I had around 100 in the same tank. Eventually, they all died off.

...and at one point my ex-wife and I had five ferrets. It's nice to know there are things in life I'll never do again. ;)

Elf Witch

First Post
Meloncov said:
Am I the only Reptile lover here? And I though they were the iconic geek pet. However, I limit myself to my Igauna, as with outher reptiles you need to deal with live and or expensive food. And Igunas look like Psuedo-dragons if you make wings for them.

I have a red slider turtle and a bearded dragon. I used to have a garter snake and an Iguna. I had a rather nasty bite from a huge adult and that turned me off them. I gave mine away.

I would eventually like to get some leopard geckos and try my hand at chameleons.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Meloncov said:

I am, interested by some reptiles as pets. However, there are 3 major factors with me owning any reptiles of pets:

1. I own quite a few cats. I need to get a pet that the cats won't mistake as prey.
  2. I can't afford to get any sort of pet that could potentially harm my cats (esp. if the cat goes after it as "prey").
  3. I'm absolutely scared to death of snakes. I'll admit that some can be quite beautiful, but I can't stand being around or near them if I can help it at all.

Despite how much I love them, my cats can be dumb as rocks at times. Because of that, I pretty much keep them indoors. I also limit what sorts of pets I get along with cats--I got my 2 dogs when they were pups, so they would grow up around the cats & know "they're family." There were other, older dogs I would have eagerly taken in, but I couldn't take any chance of any of these dog turning on the cats (many of them grew up on my grandfather's property, & hunt anything that isn't bigger than them--except for the occasional automobile).

So, for me, I avoid getting any sort of pet that the cats could severely harm or be harmed by, & definitely not anythign I'm phobic of.

Elf Witch

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:
I am, interested by some reptiles as pets. However, there are 3 major factors with me owning any reptiles of pets:

1. I own quite a few cats. I need to get a pet that the cats won't mistake as prey.
  2. I can't afford to get any sort of pet that could potentially harm my cats (esp. if the cat goes after it as "prey").
  3. I'm absolutely scared to death of snakes. I'll admit that some can be quite beautiful, but I can't stand being around or near them if I can help it at all.

Despite how much I love them, my cats can be dumb as rocks at times. Because of that, I pretty much keep them indoors. I also limit what sorts of pets I get along with cats--I got my 2 dogs when they were pups, so they would grow up around the cats & know "they're family." There were other, older dogs I would have eagerly taken in, but I couldn't take any chance of any of these dog turning on the cats (many of them grew up on my grandfather's property, & hunt anything that isn't bigger than them--except for the occasional automobile).

So, for me, I avoid getting any sort of pet that the cats could severely harm or be harmed by, & definitely not anythign I'm phobic of.

I have a multiple pet household. I have cats and animals they consider prey. To have both you need to be careful that the "prey" pets have very secured cages that the cats cannot get into. And I am as careful as I can be when my birds are out with me. Of course a big birds beak can make a lot of cats think twice about tangling with them.

I keep my cats indoors because I do not want them to become statics. in urban areas the dangers of being killed or maimed from cars is very high.

As for reptiles I think bearded dragons are great for several reasons they don't get big enough to endanger a cat and they are very laid back. Mine got out once and the cats were to scared to go near him. They are not really curious because he does not have jerky moves that tend to exicite them.

Another good choice would be a turtle of some kind. I have a water turtle they reguire a lot of work to keep their tanks clean but land turtles don't have that issue and their shell provides some protection.

As I said in an earlier post I would like to get some leopard geckos. Now they would be in danger if the cats got into the cage or they got out. So I have been researching cage set ups that have secure locking lids.

It takes a little bit of thought and planning to have a peaceable kingdom. But it can be done.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads