• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Predictive texting...

arjhay

First Post
Hey dudes! I just wonder if you are using the predictive text feature on your phone. It just came across my mind into what is much convenient to you in speed texting. I am using it especially when I am on a rush. How oftenly do you use it?

OakwoodDM

First Post
It's switched on by default on my phone. It is handy, provided you're careful with reading what it predicts. Often I have to go back and change 'he' to 'if' and other similar choices. Also, it's amusing with names, just to see what it comes up with first, for example, my friend Ian is third in the list of words that can be written with that selection of letters, after 'ham' and 'ibm'.

nerfherder

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
Talking is faster than typing. The only reason I'd want to text message would be anonymity.
Texting "Game on at Adrian's 7pm" once to my gaming group is quicker than ringing each one up and leaving messages for those that are in meetings or teaching. Plus I get 500 free texts per month on my plan.

I use predictive text all the time, but keep a careful eye on what it predicts, unlike some of the people that text me...

Cheers,
Liam

Infiniti2000

First Post
Definitely. I can't imagine using a non-keyboard without predictive texting and I even find the phones with tiny little keyboards very hard to use (so I just have a RAZR).
RangerWickett said:
Talking is faster than typing. The only reason I'd want to text message would be anonymity.
So, your answer to the OP's question is ... threadcrap?

Nyaricus

First Post
RangerWickett said:
[tangent]Ummm, your number comes up in your text message, so it's hardly 'anonymous'[/tangent]

And no, I don't use that Predictive Texting; I find it really annoying and I like to actually spell whole words as much as I can.

cheers,
--N

I use it but at the same time I know there are some words that it doesn't know (Aussie slang obviously didn't make it into the computer's language!) so I have to turn the feature off when I spell those words and then put it back on again. It's still quicker to do that than to write out the whole message without predictive text.

Olaf the Stout

OakwoodDM said:
It's switched on by default on my phone. It is handy, provided you're careful with reading what it predicts. Often I have to go back and change 'he' to 'if' and other similar choices. Also, it's amusing with names, just to see what it comes up with first, for example, my friend Ian is third in the list of words that can be written with that selection of letters, after 'ham' and 'ibm'.

My wife's name is Amy. Using predictive text I get any, boy, box, bow and cow come up before I get to her name. The last one always makes me smile for some reason! ;)

Olaf the Stout

arjhay

First Post
Nyaricus said:
And no, I don't use that Predictive Texting; I find it really annoying and I like to actually spell whole words as much as I can.

I do use predictive texting especially when i have to direct instructions. I found an easy tutorial that might help T9 Learn menu we all have our own choice :)

Galethorn

First Post
I've got mine turned on.

[tangent]I send texts when I want to send a message to somebody who is, at the moment, probably working or in class, and don't know if I'll then be in class or not when they try to call me back. I hate playing phone tag. Furthermore, I've got a loooong bus ride coming to and going from school, and I've usually got more than enough time to send off texts.[/tangent]

I've had some very funny experiences with the predictive software...for instance, "Holland!" is now an inside joke between me and my hapless friend who tried to type 'hello,' and missed one key. As well, it seems there's a distinct conflict between two fairly common four-letter words; 'Good' and 'Home,' which can be irritating.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads