What do you use Chat GPT for?

darjr

I crit!
Can’t they use that code?
Generally no. Often they don't understand the environment that code will be set in nor are they coders so there is a lot that gets missed, mostly with institutional issues and security and high end massive data streams. At least they couldn't for where that project was setup.

There are instances however were people are using the code they make. Which helps improve the code they hand over as examples of what they want. I do think that there will come a time where code they've written and used will need a more robust efficient or automated implementation.

Right now I also see a lot of mistakes in AI generated code.

darjr

I crit!
Can’t they use that code?
Also, now that I think about it, in many cases they don't want to be responsible for that code working day in/day out 24/7 (or as close as we can) nor do they want to support it for the broader user base.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, now that I think about it, in many cases they don't want to be responsible for that code working day in/day out 24/7 (or as close as we can) nor do they want to support it for the broader user base.
Would it be something you could use for a personal project?

darjr

I crit!
Would it be something you could use for a personal project?
I know people who have. I know great developers who have used it for their own projects. I know of projects where APIs are being investigated for a kind of user interface automation for workflows.

I would be very careful though. And you will have interesting issues.

Thourne

Hero
I know people who have. I know great developers who have used it for their own projects. I know of projects where APIs are being investigated for a kind of user interface automation for workflows.

I would be very careful though. And you will have interesting issues.
That sounds like the same interesting as in "May you live in interesting times".

darjr

I crit!
The best use I’ve seen of it for coding is when someone is stuck or don’t know the language or interface or libraries well enough. It can be like a customized “how to”.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I have heard of coders using it to prototype and shorten the development process--even if the code it produces isn't usable per se, it still saves time in making a first draft, so to speak.

Clint_L

Hero
I was curious what folks are using Chat GPT for.

I have Chat GPT 3.5 on my phone, and I’ve fiddled with it a little a few times. I don’t have any particular use case for it at present though other than curiosity so I’m mainly just asking it basic stuff I’d ask Siri or Alexa with similar results. Though the recent addition of voice does make it really start to feel like we’re in the future. Once the smart speakers all have this stuff embedded it’s going to be like Star Trek!

So what are you using it for? Do you have any special prompts you’re using?

I have for amusement asked it to write comedy skits a few times but those don’t work out too well. It definitely doesn’t do funny (yet).

(Note, I’m talking about ethical uses of the text chat stuff here rather than opening text whole AI art discussion!)
I've found that if you ask it to do funny, it's terrible. But if you ask it to do passive-aggressive, with a hint of sarcasm, it's gold.

I use it all the time as basically a research assistant. Where I used to Google articles and information, I now ask ChatGPT because I can be much more expansive in my search conditions. Gotta check those sources, though, 'cause it BSs. I also use it to flesh out things for D&D, like nonessential NPC backstory and stuff. Give it a few prompts and it's great at that kind of stuff.

It's also a really good proofreader.

Basically, I now have a really fast personal assistant who lies a lot.

The Soloist

Adventurer
Many people in the solitary rpg FB groups are using it as solo story generator and also as DM. Some claim it’s great while others say it forgets too many things after a while. I have not used it.

Remove ads