OSR Preferred Initiative Style?

Which is your preferred initiative system for an OSR game?

• team initiative, combat sequence, no speed factors (or segments)

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • team initiative, but with speed factors

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Individual initiative, with speed factors

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Individual initiative, no speed factors (this isn't really TSR era, but more modern like 5e)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is labeled OSR because if you were playing a game that is considered OSR, but not needing to be married to a previous TSR era edition on how they handled it, which initiative system would you prefer?

*Speed factor includes things like segments for spell casting times, and weapon modifiers to initiative based on weapon size.

** This is not for how you prefer initiative in general, but for OSR specific game feel.

I voted the same. I assumed since speed factors will change often with the spells being used, it would be rolled each round. shrug
Most likely. But I have seen variants that were once every three rounds. Worked really well.

One other variant was once every 1d4 rounds. Rolled after your declared intentions. This one was quite fun too.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I like the GLOG style - everyone makes a check - those who pass go before the monsters, those who fail go after.

I've also been reading some intriguing argument about the benefits of side initiative - I think I will try it in my next game

Side initiative is great. This is what we've been doing for the last four sessions now and players like it a lot. It allows for a faster pace and new strategies. Players decides who goes first among them and react to the results.

I was doubtful but so far, I like it.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
After 20+ years using AD&D's speed factor, 3.5/5E d20 roll, and 5E variant (weapon speed), settled on a homebrew variant inspired by Greyhawk Initiative where general player choice of action determines the die you roll each round for initiative. How you apply this action on your turn and where you move is up to you. Been using it weekly since 2017 with a few groups (ironing out the wrinkles over time), and it's been a blast. It's quick, easy to learn, and removes the absurdity of predictable turns.

I've posted ad nauseum about this type of system before, but in summary the game moves a ton faster when everyone, including the DM, figures out loosely what they're aiming to do in advance rather than one at at time. The game moves even faster when the "honesty system" kicks in and the DM can trust his players without asking what they're doing during the "declaration phase." Players might still want to speak up if they're doing something that might impact others, such as casting a Wall of Fire, but many rounds, I've found a group that's played with each other long enough just...knows...what needs to be done without saying it.

Remove ads