Level Up (A5E) (+) Project Chronicle: Class Conceits and Narrative Role

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Here's what I wrote for the Druid... I fear it's gonna be less than exciting for you, in particular, @vincegetorix
Hey, no prob, just throwing some stuff, see what sticks :p

So, for the Circle of Tempest, there was some cool paragon path for druids in 4e that you could use as inspiration:

1627518844337.png
1627518884838.png

1627518960668.png
1627519004445.png

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Current thoughts:

1) Non-Concentration "Storm Effect" which is made intentionally flexible. Wind, Rain, and Lightning all as options for the cost of a Wild Shape use. Make it last 1 minute and let them use Bonus Actions to call down low-damage Lightning Bolts, gusts of wind, and the like.

2) Electric-Focused extra spells. Not just Lightning Bolt, but Shocking Grasp and Lightning Lure.

3) Once per long rest big storm effect. Calling up a Sandstorm, Fog, or Thunderstorm which covers a massive area for a while. Sort of "Control Weather" as a class ability rather than just a spell.

Tales and Chronicles

3) Once per long rest big storm effect. Calling up a Sandstorm, Fog, or Thunderstorm which covers a massive area for a while. Sort of "Control Weather" as a class ability rather than just a spell.
Maybe something like the Dream Druid's ''cast a some spells as ritual for free after a long rest'' ? Stuff like Wind Walk, Change Weather etc as rituals for free at the end of a long rest?

If not, the UA mystic has some nice storm-themed spell-like abilities in the form of a few disciplines (Mastery of weather, Mastery of Air, Mastery of Ice).

Steampunkette

Supporter
Maybe something like the Dream Druid's ''cast a some spells as ritual for free after a long rest'' ? Stuff like Wind Walk, Change Weather etc as rituals for free at the end of a long rest?

If not, the UA mystic has some nice storm-themed spell-like abilities in the form of a few disciplines (Mastery of weather, Mastery of Air, Mastery of Ice).
Oh... that is a -brilliant- idea. They're not going to be used, anyway. Might as well plunder the work that was previously done.

... well poop. I popped it open and yup. Copywritten. Can't steal from it.

Tales and Chronicles

... well poop. I popped it open and yup. Copywritten. Can't steal from it.
Is your endgoal to publish your setting for monetary gain? If not you can always use stuff from it just for your table.

Anyways, without using the same wording and mechanics, the ideas behind those spells are still usable. IIRC the psi point cost of Disciplines is the same as the spell point option from the DMG, so I think (?) they could be translated pretty easily into spells and rituals, if you wanted to.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Is your endgoal to publish your setting for monetary gain? If not you can always use stuff from it just for your table.

Anyways, without using the same wording and mechanics, the ideas behind those spells are still usable. IIRC the psi point cost of Disciplines is the same as the spell point option from the DMG, so I think (?) they could be translated pretty easily into spells and rituals, if you wanted to.
Right now my intention is to work on the thing and see where it goes. But I'm trying to be flexible enough to make sales should that time come.

All the artwork, for example, can be yanked out of it with a simple link erasure. It's just there for formatting purposes and personal inspiration.

GuyBoy

Hero
Right now my intention is to work on the thing and see where it goes. But I'm trying to be flexible enough to make sales should that time come.

All the artwork, for example, can be yanked out of it with a simple link erasure. It's just there for formatting purposes and personal inspiration.
I truly hope that you do decide to publish. This is a wonderful setting, rich in ideas and created in a very cool way on these boards, so it is almost alive.
Teerka’s sandalled feet are already walking the sands of your world.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So I'm going over my notes for the Herald and preparing to write them up either today or early tomorrow (Hubby is off work and I try to spend my days off with him) and I find myself at a sticky wicket.

I do want to have them as both Divine or Arcane characters, as previously noted. I want them to be unique heroes and narratively extremely rare (Even if, in play, you might see a whole party of Heralds). And I want them to feel like particularly potent and powerful characters. They're meant to be Gilgamesh, Hercules, and other figures of practically mythic power and importance...

... should I reference Isra and Ukada? Should I use Moadi as an example of a Herald? Should I recontextualize their Heraldic Sermon as powerful speech about Ideals and Ways to Achieve them rather than a generic understanding of religious speech meant to create converts?

I feel like that may be a direction to take their overall narrative that could be really cool, but the Herald is also a class with a big ol' pile of lore tied to it and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going too far afield as it is...

What are your thoughts?

GuyBoy

Hero
My tuppence worth:
Always use the legends and lore of your world, in terms of Isra and Ukada, and any other popular tales.
In terms of Heraldic Sermon; maybe something to inspire others to follow to the ends of the earth? I’m thinking Jason (of Argonaut fame) as a good example of a Herald. Or Cuchulain.
Not sure how to put this in game terms as I’m more story than mechanics.

Tales and Chronicles

My fear with this line of thought is that it force the idea of Heroes = X class, while in reality each class can be ''the Hero''. Hercules might well be a Berserker (uber strength) or a Ranger (monster slayer). Beowulf can be a high level Fighter, or a drunken Monk or even a Bard (with the bullcrap he says about himself :p ).

In short, I fear the Herald/Paladin already too close the the idea of the ''Main Character''. I think doubling down on how unique, mythic, important and legendary they are might be trap.

But that's me, I'm probably an outlier on this. :)

Remove ads