Psionics question

milo

First Post
Could you create a psionic item that is equivilant to a belt of giant strength or gloves of dex using animal affinity? If so would this stack with the normal magic items. I know that bull's strength and the other spells stacked with animal affinity.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Theoretically, you could create such an item, and I think It would stack with everything else, since the power increases the score and doesn't add an enhancement bonus. But it's up to your DM, and he may not be happy with you increasing an ability score by 10 or more just by items...

dcollins

Explorer
By default, you cannot create anything that is not listed in the core rulebooks (DMG). Anything else is a "New Item" only allowed, and with rule determinations made by, the DM (per DMG p. 178).

milo

First Post
I was just thinking of something like a monk with two arms of nyr and belt of giant strength +6, gloves of dex +6, and animal affinity versions of each for +4. For a grand total of +14 to strength and dex.

Mahali

Explorer
I don't know if it made it to an errata but Bruce Cordell said (on the message board that he posts to) that Animal Affinity provides an enchancement bonus.

I would trust the author of the Psionics book over the Sage on psionics matters. When it comes to psionics, the Sage has been wrong many times. Animal Affinity, as written, is unbalancing. Take a look at Affinity Field for even more unbalance involving Animal Affinity.

To email the author, go to brucecordell@yahoo.com

Ds Da Man

First Post
Well Milo, I don't know what the book says, but I know what I would say, "Hell yea, mister Kugar w/animal affinity!"
Seriously, I bet Joe says no. I also heard Mal, Kitara, and Midian drew "the good cards". Joe and I talked though, and we are going to say only 2 levels gained per session max. Still, 10 to 12 in one night, and one draw, woo-hoo!
Remeber to bring my books back buddy!

Shirt Guy John

First Post
When does Animal Affinity apply?

As above, my question is if Animal Affinity applies directly to your base stat or if it applies instead to your current stat score. If the latter, wouldn't it be because of the max of an animal's ability score? In theory anyways, though I'm sure it probably wouldn't come into question (Although I don't have the MM in front of me and I don't know max animal stats).

Another question, with animal affinity, can you base the increase off of any animal type creature (ie. Legendary or dire)? If so, you can probably disregard the above.

Remove ads