Pulling out someone elses weapon.

Lord Ben

First Post
Okay, we have a 2nd level Fighter with a longspear and we have 3 1st level Goblin Rogues. The goblins try to tumble to avoid the AO from the longspear, they make it. They know that the Fighter will cut them down if he can pull out his two weapons (amb/twf) so they try to pull them out instead.

1. Touch attack and pickpocket?
2. Pure pickpocket?
3. Something else?

I lean towards pure pickpocket since you don't need to make a touch attack to normally do pickpocket, but that's not in combat so I'm not sure.

kramis

First Post
should be hard

This is something that should be hard to do. There aren't any rules for this really, but I would allow a touch attack followed by a Pick Pocket check opposed by the figher's melee roll ... I'd even give the fighter magic bonuses on the weapon on his roll.

The touch attack AC should be high too, size bonus to weapon, plus hard to get at bonus, plus fighter's dex, etc.

I would probably also allow this after a successful grapple with another successful grapple check. Not sure what modifiers, if any, I'd apply to this method though.

Taloras

First Post
There is a feat in the Quintessential Rogue i believe that covers this. It only works at the beginning of the fight, in a surprise round, and you can only grab items that are open and that you could get to without difficulty

mikebr99

Explorer
M'Lord...

Pickpocketing skill is used to get something small off another person without them knowing it... DC10 for a coins sized object, DC20 for a small object.

I don't think there would be any way that the fighter wouldn't know/feel when his two weapons are being pulled out of their sheaths... maybe DC30???

I would use the touch attack idea then make opposed STR rolls for each Goblin to try and wrestle the sword away. Give the fighter a -4 to represent the fact that he is fighting against two different enemies at the same time, so he has to use only one hand for each of them.

Macbrea

First Post
This action is "Strike another object" and " Disarm with a open hand."

If you look up "Striking another object" you will notice you can attack worn items. They have a AC of the wearers Dex bonus +10 + deflection bonuses. This attack against the object is done as a Disarming maneuver. Opposed attack rolls. You will notice that this action provokes an AoO.

So, your scene would look like this:

Goblin 1 rolls in past your longspear and attempt to disarm you of your worn shortsword. Because you are using a longspear at the moment you cannot make AoO against a target adjacent to you. The goblin swings at your shortsword and hits. Please give me an opposed attack roll at your base melee vs the goblin.

If the player suceeds he keeps his shortsword, if the goblin suceeds and has an open hand he has the fighters shortsword in his hands.

Repeat process for the next two goblins.

Your player will be very annoyed at you for using goblins in this manner but they will at least feel its a matter of their skill versus the goblins.

Last edited:

Lord Ben

First Post
Macbrea said:
Please give me an opposed attack roll at your base melee vs the goblin.

Why would that be? It's just in an open sheath and readied to go so the fighter can pull it out. If the Goblin gets his hand on it then it's out of the sheath, there shouldn't be an attack roll on that.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I think I would use the Disarm attack for this. I would give the defender the +10 to the opposed roll for locked gauntlets to simulate the sheathed weapon. The goblin is making an unarmed attack, so he provokes an AoO. I would also rule that this action requires a full attack action unless the goblin had quickdraw, because it requires a MEA to unsheath the weapon. If the goblin wins the opposed roll, it has the weapon.

Lord Ben

First Post
Well, the figher also has quick-draw. That doesn't matter too much though because the fighter is the one that has it. But it still has to be VERY easy to pull from the sheath. And it should be a target number because the fighter doesn't really even have any say in the matter. He's using a different weapon and he shouldn't get any sort of opposed roll because it's just tucked in his belt, or in his sheath, etc.

Macbrea

First Post
I would give opposed attack rolls because the Fighter would naturally attempt to move his hip out of the way. Pulling something from someone elses sheath isn't as simple as it sounds.

Example:

Have a friend stand still with an item attached to his hip.
You will have an easy time taking the item.

Now, have you friend attempt to keep the item away from you.
It now becomes a matter of his skill vs your skill. Or opposed attack rolls to keep the item.

Remove ads