Pulling out someone elses weapon.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Actually a kind DM would allow the Fighter to use Quickdraw on his AoO action (if he has not used it yet). That is a gray area.

Again, if you haven't used your AoO, it would be reasonable for you to put your hand on the hilt of your sword instead of taking an AoO when the DM tells you the goblin is reaching for the sword.

Not quite right by the letter of the rules, but it appeals to my common sense.

Lord Ben

First Post
Quick-draw is already useful in numerous other ways. For instance when he's attacked he can drop the longspear and pull out his two weapons and still get a full attack. It doesn't allow you to take an action mid-turn.

jontherev

First Post
Why not use Quicker than the Eye, then pickpocket? Then, you don't have to worry about AoO's or anything...just reach in and pull it out. I guess you'd still need to be hasted to pull it off in one round though...or quickdraw. They won't even notice you took their own weapon until they feel it slice into them.:D Imagine having QttE, QD, and Expert Tactician. You bluff in melee, reach in to pull out foe's sword, use hasted action to attack, and then attack again using ET. That is so cool to be able to smack someone twice in one round with their own weapon.

kreynolds

First Post
jontherev said:
Why not use Quicker than the Eye, then pickpocket? Then, you don't have to worry about AoO's or anything

Pick Pocket doesn't trigger an AoO from your target, so it's not an issue. Unless you're talking about the AoO triggered by the movement of the goblins.

jontherev

First Post
kreynolds said:

Pick Pocket doesn't trigger an AoO from your target, so it's not an issue. Unless you're talking about the AoO triggered by the movement of the goblins.

Normally, entering someone's square draws a movement related AoO right? Plus, making a touch attack on their weapon would draw a AoO like grappling right? But, if they fail to even notice you...

kreynolds

First Post
jontherev said:
Normally, entering someone's square draws a movement related AoO right?

Yes, if you move more than 5-feet within their threatened space.

jontherev said:
Plus, making a touch attack on their weapon would draw a AoO like grappling right?

You don't need to make a touch attack to pick pocket someone's weapon from them.

jontherev said:
But, if they fail to even notice you...

Whether or not they notice you has nothing to do with the success or failure of the pick pocket. Remember, half of the skill is stealing, while the other half is all about not being seen.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
I still wouldn't use pickpocket, especially since it's limited to small objects. I don't consider a longsword a small object. Again, I can see anyone attempting this, not just a rogue, and I also see the DC to take the item as being made higher through the restriction of you trying not to be noticed.

Touch attack and then opposed Dex checks to see who's fast enough to pull the weapon away works for me.

IceBear

Lord Ben

First Post
You could also pick-pocket the mages spell-components pouch, that would hurt them big time.

I'm beginning to like a pure pickpocket DC instead of a reflex too. If a rogue is next to you it's always good to just kill him outright and not worry about it. Plus he has to use an action to do it and anyone in their right might would just clobber him after he did it. Rogue better move FAST after swiping someone sword.

Lord Ben

First Post
Lifting someones wallet (not designed to be pulled out quickly in combat) while their walking is probably just as tricky as pulling out their longsword (designed to be pulled out quickly) in combat. That's the closest skill there is to "taking something out of someone's pockets"

IceBear

Explorer
I just don't see why reaching over and pulling something off someone's belt NOT CARING if they notice you or not should be limited to rogues. I would allow anyone to try with a touch attack and opposed check. Now, if a rogue was in that position I could see allowing the rogue a pickpocket check to simulate his skill at doing this, but I'd stick with the opposed roll otherwise.

IceBear

Remove ads