Pulling out someone elses weapon.

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
If you force them to use pickpocket your limiting this to only those trained in pickpocket as you can't attempt pickpocket untrained.

Exactly. I like it that way. Also, the only reason that a disarm is so easy is because your target's weapon is right out there in front of both of you. That's it. When the weapon is sheathed, and you're not using pick pocket, then you're talkin' about some kinda wierd "touch attack - opposed attack roll - opposed strength checks (or dexterity for the defender) - AoO's, and that's a mess that I'd rather just avoid by leaving it up to the rogues. :)

kreynolds

First Post
RigaMortus said:
I believe the feat Snatch Weapon is probably what you are looking for.

Except that use of this feat requires the Disarm action, which isn't really appropriate for this situation. Also, it's only useful if you have a free hand, which the golbins should. As I said, Disarm is only so easy simply because your opponent's weapon is held at the ready right in front of you. Hitting his weapon isn't gonna be hard at all. Disarming someone of their weapon while it's safely sheathed within their scabbard, now that's totally different.

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
Damn! There's too many feats out there to remember them all :)

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I got fed up and typed them all up into a single word doc. Much, much, easier. Especially during character or NPC creation.

IceBear

Explorer
Ah...so that's where we differ. I don't see it as particularly in the realm of the rogue. If the rogue wanted to steal the fighter's sword and then taunt him into a fight and then fight him with his stolen weapon I'd go with pickpockets.

The player in my group that I could see trying this hates being told "No". He just says "I want to try...make it next to impossible to succeed, but I want to try. If I succeed then it'll only be cooler"

:D

So, with these kind of players this is why I wouldn't go with the pickpockets check :) Besides, while it isn't as simple as just a pickpockets check, I don't expect it to happen very often. If it does, *then* I might go the pickpockets route.

IceBear

IceBear

Explorer
kreynolds said:

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I got fed up and typed them all up into a single word doc. Much, much, easier. Especially during character or NPC creation.

Hmmmm - but it takes too much time that I no longer have. I'm trying to put all my Dragon and Dungeon magazines (along with all my CD backups) into a database so when I'm trying to find something it doesn't take a week. And I don't even have time for that :)

IceBear

Lord Ben

First Post
Here is what I'll probably do:

Pickpocket DC20 for the rogue to snatch a readied weapon from a sheath. It's meant to be pulled out quick and easy without fuss so that's why I have the DC that low.

DC15 reflex save for the fighter to figure out what's happening and "move" it out of the way. Step to the side, swing his hips, whatever you have.

That gives both the rogue and the fighter a decent chance of winning. DC20 is still pretty rough on a low-level rogue and DC15 reflex isn't THAT bad for a fighter by the time a Rogue can do a DC20 reliably. Fair to both parties IMHO and makes pickpocket a bit more useful as a skill for a PC rogue to have as well.

kreynolds

First Post
Lord Ben said:
That gives both the rogue and the fighter a decent chance of winning. DC20 is still pretty rough on a low-level rogue and DC15 reflex isn't THAT bad for a fighter by the time a Rogue can do a DC20 reliably. Fair to both parties IMHO and makes pickpocket a bit more useful as a skill for a PC rogue to have as well.

Yeah, but wouldn't that seem a little funny when the rogue gets a 42 on her Pick Pocket result but she is beaten by the fighter who got a 16 on his save?

Lord Ben

First Post
Shh!! You just nevermind that!! :)

Yeah, it's silly. But even a 10th level rogue will still have less then +20 on his check because there isn't any items that add to it that I know of.

Some things the game system just isn't designed to handle I guess. As DM's we must suffer with all these new things to torture our PC's with.

Remove ads