• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pulling the plug

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
There was always something appealing and unique about every edition for me... up until 5e, that is. But to be honest, my (surprisingly) favorite experience has been with 4th Edition. Not that it was an easy sell for me, mind you. It took a while for me to warm up to it. When I did eventually buy into it, however, there were still a lot of aspects that I really disliked. So it was a real love/hate relationship with the system, but overall the positive outweighed the negative. In the end, the company seemed to finally began to hit their stride on the design end of things, but then suddenly shut it down just when they were winning me over again.

To me, 5e most closely resembles a revised 3rd (or 3.5) Edition, with just a sprinkle of 4e in it. So for those who may have opted out of 4e and feel like you've been waiting for a return to where 3e left off (and have not given in to the Pathfinder spin-off), this edition may appear to be your salvation. And if you lapsed since 2nd Edition and completely missed out on the D&D revival brought on by 3e, this is essentially your D&D Woodstock. Its nothing like the original, but you wouldn't know it if you weren't there, so have at it. This one is yours.

4e was the edition that broke my chain of support for D&D and, yes, for me 5e saves D&D's bacon (it's not my salvation, it's D&D's).
Interesting Woodstock analogy and I'd point out that there are a number of people who were at both the original and the 25th anniversary in 1994 (not me, I'm way too young) who felt the anniversary was better because it was able to bring a far more diverse group of celebrants together to share the experience. Whether you think the analogy holds with that idea as well, that's up to you, but I think it might.

DM Howard

Explorer
I felt the same way as the OP, I got rid of my 5E books because I didn't feel like it brought anything new to the table. Part of it might also be that I am less into Fantasy these days and more into Science Fiction, so Traveller gets most of my attention. I'll echo what others have said, play what you like and game on!

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I wanted to quickly express my appreciation for the support in maintaining this thread as an engaging and civilized discussion. I began making this post late last evening until I felt it was turning into a small rant and took some more time to gather my thoughts. I'm only human, but I try to do better.

Unrelated to my potential rant, I do want to respond to this real quick:

I find this curious, because to me 3.x had a number of fatal flaws (after 12 years of running and more of playing) that I can not stand that 5e completely avoids.

I'm not in any way debating what edition you like - that's the joy of different editions and even different systems (my current favorite fantasy RPG is not D&D). It's just curiosity in how 5e is like 3.x?

<snip>

I'm not going to split hairs on this, and I don't want this thread to devolve into an unnecessary debate. What I was trying to say is that 5th Edition more closely resembles 3rd Edition (and previous editions, for that matter) than it does 4th Edition. And in the context of what I was trying to say, I was implying that maybe some of the people who have lapsed during 4th Edition because they didn't like it, found it to be closer to the system they were more familiar with and expected it to be. That is all.

I do find it interesting, however, that you focused on the negative aspects of the 3rd Edition attempting to divorce any correlation from this new and improved edition. It was not meant to be a slight, though curious to see that invoked such a defensive response. That said, any response delving into the likes/unlikes between the system is more likely to derail this thread entirely. But I do feel it merits its own discussion... one which may already exist somewhere else on these boards. Good topic, though.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I do find it interesting, however, that you focused on the negative aspects of the 3rd Edition attempting to divorce any correlation from this new and improved edition. It was not meant to be a slight, though curious to see that invoked such a defensive response. That said, any response delving into the likes/unlikes between the system is more likely to derail this thread entirely. But I do feel it merits its own discussion... one which may already exist somewhere else on these boards. Good topic, though.

No problems. After loving 3.x when it came out, I was disillusioned after 12 years of running it. 5e corrected every big gripe I had about it. So seeing 5e and 3.x compared I found confusing. To me they are so very different.

But on retrospect of this, I see where they are similar in parts I liked. I had overlooked those in the fact that the parts I disliked had been removed.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I find this curious, because to me 3.x had a number of fatal flaws (after 12 years of running and more of playing) that I can not stand that 5e completely avoids.
Not incompatible with seeing a /lot/ of 3.x DNA in 5e. Maybe less of it is defective DNA? ;)

It's just curiosity in how 5e is like 3.x?
It's open-source d20 with an SRD. That's exceedingly 3.x-like, and something it shares with no other edition of D&D. You have all classes on the same 20-level exp chart, gaining 20 HD + 20xCONmod hps over those 20 levels. You have the Sorcerer and Warlock, even if they're quite different. You have spontaneous casting and prepped casting (even if the Tier 1 classes now have all the benefits of both). Etc, etc, etc...

(You also have bits from 4e: heal from 0, at-will attack cantrips, no AoO for casting, short-rest-recharge spells, ritual casting, healing word, witch bolt, thunderwave...)

issues I had with 3.x that I feel 5e fixed:
[*]Need for magic items to make the math work, even on NPCs.
Meh, long since 'fixed' by Inherent bonuses.
[*]Monsters/NPCs using very fiddly math that took forever at high levels to prep to run.
'fixed' in 4e, sure, and still fixed in 5e, 'cept for monsters/NPCs that use spells or have class levels, and CR not working so well. (Oh, there's another one, CR is the 3.x term, and, like 3.x, 5e CR's not that dependable.)

[*]Prestige classes (and feat chains to a much lesser degress) that required planning out characters from level 1 not to miss cut-offs.
'Big' feats reduce that issue, but sub-classes are still an irrevocable build decision, for instance.
Poor multiclassing: cherrypicking due to lots of 1st level features, BAB stacking but casting not, able to optimize way beyond straight-classed characters
Reduced, but also shifted around a bit. It's the same basic MCing system; casting stacks, but Extra Attacks (BAB) don't; reducing front-loading for MCing & putting off defining abilities until sub-classes are chosen does reduce (but hardly eliminate) 'dipping,' but it also makes 1st level kinda sucky in some ways. Optimization abuses are limited more by lack of material to synergize than robustness of the underlying system.

[*]Long combats (wall clock time)
3.x Novas could be quite fast.

[*]Able to unintentionally make characters that suck. (Hard to do in 5e unless you multiclass, and even then not so bad.)
Not /that/ hard, they just suck less compared to optimized characters because there's less grist for the optimization mill to get really abusive with. Also, it's achieved in part via BA and monsters being tuned for attrition-based challenge over 6-8 encounters, so it can 'break' the other way and get 'too easy.'

[*]Linear fighters/quadratic wizard (still there to some degree, but not as bad)
[/LIST]
Not as bad, yes, not fixed, but not quite as bad. Fighters get more out of extra attack and can Nova with action surge, they're cut down to virtually nothing compared to the 4e fighter, lose customizeability relative to the 3.5 fighter, but they're high DPR, tanky and high-impact in a way they haven't been outside of the most abusive 3.x builds, since 2e. Wizards get far more and far more potent dailies than in 4e, but relative to 3.5 they have fewer slots, and their spells scale with slot level rather than caster level - OTOH, their save DCs scale with character level instead of slot level, and they have at-will attack cantrips like in 4e. :shrug:

Also, 5e is tuned to balance the classes at 6+ encounters/day, while 3.x, to the extent it succeeded at all in doing so, aimed for more like 4 encounters (top-level spells, for instance, were particularly important to casters, because of the save DC issue, and casters could burn through lots of slots buffing up themselves and their non-caster allies). At the same time, rest-facilitating magic is still pretty easy.
The LFQW curve is certainly different, at least, but the traditional Tier-1 classes are still at the top of the (smaller/flatter) heap, and that, too, is a very 3.x thing.

I wanted to quickly express my appreciation for the support in maintaining this thread as an engaging and civilized discussion.
You kicked it off pretty well.
What I was trying to say is that 5th Edition more closely resembles 3rd Edition (and previous editions, for that matter) than it does 4th Edition.
Nod. That's a fair observation. 5e, to me, feels like it sits between 2e & 3.x on the evolutionary ladder, a 'missing link' between the TSR and WotC eras, as it were. ;P

Hmmm, 'a bridge between fans of different generations' might be a more appropriate metaphor. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The one thing I'd suggest (though probably too late) would be to keep the books even if you're not playing the edition; as there's always going to be something in there you can mine for whatever edition or homebrew system you do end up with.

I've got the core three* (PH, DMG, MM) for every edition, even though I've not played/run most of them; and also have other material (e.g. adventure modules, settings, magic item lists, etc.) for all editions.

* - or had; my 2e PH and MM seem to have wandered off somewhere.

And sooner of later it gets used. For example, so far in my current 1e-based game I've converted and run adventures from every edition except 2e and I've ripped magic items from every edition except 3e.

Lanefan

We have truly entered an era of such diversity and excellence in TTRPG design, that there is no need to settle. If WotC's present offering doesn't tickle your fancy, there is (a) no reason to "suffer" its shortcomings and certainly no reason to (b) act like a depraved, flailing child or a jilted lover and spend hours on the internet screaming the equivalent of "IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, NO ONE CAN."

So good on you for not acting like a depraved child or jilted lover. It seems, unlike what we saw with the last few edition changes (especially the last), that is what most folks who don't play 5e do this time around.

Imaro

Legend
Yeah I definitely felt like this with 4th edition, and honestly I wish I had come to a similar conclusion as you have before investing so much money into it. Others have noted that those who don't like 5e tend not to get as emotionally charged about leaving it but I'd also take note that there doesn't seem to be the same need in the 5e fanbase, as there was with previous editions, to tell you how you're just playing the edition "wrong" and that if you'd play it "correctly" you'd really come around to loving it. It's one of the reasons I think I tried and argued for so long about 4th edition.

Personally 5e is closest WotC has ever gotten to what I want out of D&D and I'm on a great second campaign (and will be starting another game in October with a different group of players) that I am co-DM'ing with a DM 1st timer.. but everyone's tastes are different and sometimes you (as well as others) just have to realize certain games aren't your cup of tea.

I can sympathize with the OP. I have the core 5e books, I am running two online campaigns, have run two online campaigns in the past, I have run one tabletop, and I am running another tabletop (at a glacial pace as we get to play only twice a year since we are in different countries)...but the game feels "cold" to me. Not sure exactly how or why, but there it is. To the point that in two weeks time the "glacial pace" campaign is going to be "downgraded" to either D&D 3.0 or AD&D 2e.
When I am finished with the online campaigns, it's entirely possible I am going to sell the books; I am not much of a hoarder or collector, and space is at a premium; if something doesn't get table time, I sell it.
And besides, I already have a modern version of D&D that I enjoy running, that is not even named D&D: 13th Age.

Arilyn

Hero
I can sympathize with the OP. I have the core 5e books, I am running two online campaigns, have run two online campaigns in the past, I have run one tabletop, and I am running another tabletop (at a glacial pace as we get to play only twice a year since we are in different countries)...but the game feels "cold" to me. Not sure exactly how or why, but there it is. To the point that in two weeks time the "glacial pace" campaign is going to be "downgraded" to either D&D 3.0 or AD&D 2e.
When I am finished with the online campaigns, it's entirely possible I am going to sell the books; I am not much of a hoarder or collector, and space is at a premium; if something doesn't get table time, I sell it.
And besides, I already have a modern version of D&D that I enjoy running, that is not even named D&D: 13th Age.

13th Age is my F20 game of choice too. I have fun with 5e, though. It's just never going to be my main game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads