Pun Pun

paradox42

First Post
Eh, the program's easy enough to adjust when necessary. Just need to see v6 of the Challenge Ratings appendix, and whatever final method you come up with.

On that note, the Neutronium Golem's extra power relative to the Leviathan comes from two places: first, its bigger hit die, and second, its extra VSCs. Perhaps those need to figure in to the calculation of "HD Modifier" somehow, to determine what portion of the EL is "kept back" for the recursive part of the calculation? For example, I'd certainly call a d1000 hit die more powerful than a d10 hit die, which is what normal Constructs get. So perhaps the multiplier of 0.35 isn't correct. Of course, this would mean the Orichalcum Leviathan's multiplier is higher too, though not as high as the neutron star, since it gets d100.

I do understand that they're abilities of the various divine tiers, but I'm just saying maybe their addition to CR adds more than once (in effect), unlike other such abilities.

Hi paradox dude! :D

paradox42 said:
Eh, the program's easy enough to adjust when necessary. Just need to see v6 of the Challenge Ratings appendix, and whatever final method you come up with.

On that note, the Neutronium Golem's extra power relative to the Leviathan comes from two places: first, its bigger hit die, and second, its extra VSCs. Perhaps those need to figure in to the calculation of "HD Modifier" somehow, to determine what portion of the EL is "kept back" for the recursive part of the calculation? For example, I'd certainly call a d1000 hit die more powerful than a d10 hit die, which is what normal Constructs get. So perhaps the multiplier of 0.35 isn't correct. Of course, this would mean the Orichalcum Leviathan's multiplier is higher too, though not as high as the neutron star, since it gets d100.

I do understand that they're abilities of the various divine tiers, but I'm just saying maybe their addition to CR adds more than once (in effect), unlike other such abilities.

Possibly, but I don't see how incorporating the bigger Hit Dice helping me rebalance the Neutronium and Orichalcum constructs CRs vis-a-vis the Time Lords.

It is a thorny issue to be sure.

Clearly the problem lies with virtual size categories. Perhaps I should just take each as a divine ability (as per Divine Immensity). Although off the top of my head that looks like it could make the CRs too low...?

I don't think the larger Hit die are much of an issue. Its not like having the bigger Hit die grant even better saves or 2/1 Bab progression. The bigger Hit die just mean the monster is tougher. Rating the CR using Ascension should be accurate enough.

As for virtual size: It clearly favors fighter-types. The only thing slightly unbalancing about the VSCs are the scaling natural Armor bonuses. After about 5 or so VSCs, the creature has insane AC. (Except touch attacks get 'em)

The best bet might be just to weight VSCs on their STR, DEX and CON mods. (What is that weight anyway? 6 or 12 ability mods = 1 LA / 1 CR? Looking at 17 total mods, so about a +1, since the Nat AC isnt always useful. The wielding heavier weapons might also be worth +1 too...)

Remove ads