• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question for those who played the "Baldur's Gate" cRPGs (spoilers)

Huw

First Post
Multiclass as Favoured Soul. After all, the character gains a few bonus cleric spells as the game progresses.

When I first saw the favoured soul, I immediately thought of Greek mythology, where all the heroes are children of gods, as well as Baldur's Gate. All I needed to do is drop the alignment restriction - after all, you don't have to be anything like your divine parent.

Squire James

First Post
Of the stuff immediately available to core D&D, I would say Half-Fiend would be the way to go. Their abilities scale by level, which is fairly close to how things went in the computer game. Obviously some of the abilities are there primarily to tempt the character to evil (it's hard for a powergamer to ignore Unholy Aura earlier than casters can get it)!

RedFox

First Post
How I would handle it:

I'd use two optional rules, one of which would be tweaked. One would be bloodlines, with the other being reducing level adjustments.

Rather than using the Bloodlines as-written, I'd use them but call them inherited templates with a +LA value equal to the number of levels the bloodline consumes. This allows PCs to buy off the LA of the templates, rather than get stuck with nigh-empty "bloodline levels." This seems to fit well with the Bhaalspawn in the games, which did not lose levels at any point, while still making an attempt at balance (through xp expenditures).

Bloodlines of Murder

First, I'd determine the Bhaalspawn strength. If the PCs are aware of their heritage, I'd allow them to choose the bloodline strength on their own. If not, I'd select it for story purposes, or roll it up randomly.

Table B-1: Bhaalspawn Bloodline Strength
% Roll* - Strength
1-25 - Minor
26-75 - Intermediate
76-100 - Major
* A character of an evil alignment gets a +5 bonus on this roll.

Then, I'd determine what type of bloodline to use, based on the PC's Alignment. This wouldn't be set in stone. If the PC changed from one alignment to another in-play, then they'd retain their previous abilities and powers, but I would "switch over" the bloodline from that point onward:

Table B-2: Bhaalspawn Bloodline by Alignment
Character Alignment - Bloodline
Lawful Evil - Devil
Any Good - Celestial
All other Alignments - Demon

Consider using dream sequences like in the games to represent the call of the Bhaalspawn power within the character. If Good characters don't reject the demands of Bhaal within them, they get the evil powers rather than the good powers for their next level.

hong

WotC's bitch
You get the Angsty Social-Outcast Loner template, from the concept popularised by White Wolf, and applied in all of Bioware's games from then on. And I say this as someone who wants to have Ray Muzyka's and Greg Zeschuk's manbabies.

Remove ads