• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question for those who played the "Baldur's Gate" cRPGs (spoilers)

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
If this game were done in 3e, would the protagonist be considered a Tiefling (since s/he's an offspring of an evil deity Bhaal)? Just wondering.

It's said that Bhaal mated with many different races (as seen in ToB, there's even Dragon Bhaalspawn). Would they all be part Tiefling? Is there a way tocreate such a character in 3e?

TIA

Nifft

Penguin Herder
From what I've read, the template wasn't well liked by those who care about such things.

Tieflings aren't really the right thing, since they're supposed to be a race which has evolved long enough to breed true, and from humans & many different evil outsiders over many generations rather than one mortal, one deity, and one generation.

But never forget: the best granted Bhaalspawn power has always been Quickened Reload Game. That's tough to model in P&P. Perhaps some free Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel? ;)

Cheers, -- N

Wycen

Explorer
I guess it partly depends on how you are looking to portray or run the character. They were built as human and had no knowledge of their nature/destiny. They died just like anyone else. In BG1 I'd say certainly normal.

Now in BG2, when you are aware of things, perhaps a change in 'type' would be appropriate. But tieflings are supposed to be weak blooded planar offspring. A cambion or alu-fiend (aka half-fiend in 3E) would have tiefling offspring. (I do not give merit to some wacky online chart about "vrock tielflings look like this and spinagon tieflings are spiky" that I saw ages ago). In my mind it is outsider -> half-nature -> tiefling or aasimar.

Although, you could use the tiefling abilities to similate a lesser powerful Bhaalspawn, I suppose. Someone like Sarevok could use the half-fiend abilities, as he was clearly more powerful than your average bhaalspawn.

Ultimately however, I don't believe using the tiefling as a base creature for the offspring of a god is appropriate. They should be entities fully in and of themselves, having their own unique status in life and crunchy game mechanics. Bhaal was a human god of murder, so maybe a free level of assassin or some other evil template.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Hmmm, alright then. Let me take this at a different angle:

Is it possible, for character creation purposes, to play either a Tiefling or Aasimar and not know it (in character)? Can they look human, and have the backstory "I was adopted, know nothing about my real parents," ect.? Or are there enough distinguishing characteristics that you'd know this person was not Human?

an_idol_mind

Explorer
The Bhaalspawn is definitely not meant to be a tiefling. There is a tiefling NPC (Haer'dalis) in the game already.

If a pen and paper version were run like the computer game was, the character would be whatever race he chose to begin as. The godly blood would be dormant for most of his life, and he would gain special abilities as the campaign went on.

Near the end of Shadows of Amn, the main character receives a ton of special abilities, including immunity to all mundane weapons. I think at this point a new type could be applied.

Dragonbait

Explorer
krunchyfrogg said:

Is it possible, for character creation purposes, to play either a Tiefling or Aasimar and not know it (in character)? Can they look human, and have the backstory "I was adopted, know nothing about my real parents," ect.? Or are there enough distinguishing characteristics that you'd know this person was not Human?

Possibly. I've seen some people tone the Planetouched features down to noting, and still take it as their race (that's not my personal style, but to each their own). They would not be able to use their spell-like abilities without a good story about how they were "taught a little trick by my uncle so-and-so". And the resistances would be a bit odd. Maybe they just think that they are really tough, or lucky, of gifted? One could probably come up with some good excuses that could explain why they are not aware of their true nature.

The_Warlock

Explorer
krunchyfrogg said:

Absolutely. Aasimar often look like their mortal parent but with a small distinguishing feature - ala metallic colored irises, or very gold hair, et al. Similarly not all tieflings have to have vestigial horns or a tail, they are stated to "usually" have distinguishing features which set them apart. But in both instances the "clues" could be very subtle if you wanted to play it that way. The issue is more that both get a very basic spell-like ability mechanically, so, in character, if they have the inherent knowledge to do it, they likely know that they aren't just a "normal human".

EDIT: Dangit! Must write shorter posts! Beaten to punchline again! Pfiffle! (chuckle)

Remove ads