RAGE OF DEMONS Minis From WizKids

Coming soon from WiKids are the official licensed Rage of Demons miniatures. Here's a quick look at three of them - the invisible blink dog, the air mymridon, and the the drow scout. These come in the Icons of the Realms series.

Coming soon from WiKids are the official licensed Rage of Demons miniatures. Here's a quick look at three of them - the invisible blink dog, the air mymridon, and the the drow scout. These come in the Icons of the Realms series.

rod_minis.png

BB Shockwave

Explorer
They don't match the stated sizes in the Monster Manual. Adult dragons are meant to be Huge, but the WizKids dragons are mostly Large at best. The giants are all supposed to be Huge as well, and while the figures might be, they're squeezing them down onto Large bases. And while all four main elemental types are meant to be Large, the water and earth elementals are only Medium size.

So yeah, it seems like no one at WotC is bothering to make sure WizKids is doing all the figures so they're the right size for the RPG.

Well, no-one says those are adult dragons, I always considered them Young Adults while the Mediums are Wyrmlings or so.
Yes, the giants are huges on large bases. Pathfinder has no huges either - something about production costs, there are always huge debates about that on Plasticrypt.

But really, the elementals? They can be of ANY size, it depends on their HD, at least it did back in the old days. The water and earth ones are mediums because they are weaker versions, simply.
But to be frank, I don't much care for any of these, I only care about the minis as toys/collectibles, as I don't use them in RPGs.

pukunui

Legend
Well, no-one says those are adult dragons ...
WizKids does themselves. Look at the descriptions for the various Attack Wing products. The green dragon (which I believe is technically Large) is identified as Claugiyliamatar, a famous green dragon from the Forgotten Realms who featured in the first D&D Epics adventure, Corruption in Kryptgarden. She is an ancient dragon, which in D&D 5e terms would make her Gargantuan, not Large.

Likewise, the silver dragon from Wave 2 is described as being "one of the most ancient of her kind", which again should put her at Gargantuan size.

Now, you could argue that the Attack Wing minis are part of their own game and therefore don't need to be sized according to the D&D 5e rules. That's fine. However, WizKids is then taking those minis and putting them in the "Icons of the Realms" series, which, as far as I can tell, *is* for use with the RPG. As an RPG player, I find it annoying that the official 5e minis aren't all the right size according to the 5e rules.

But really, the elementals? They can be of ANY size, it depends on their HD, at least it did back in the old days.
It looks like you don't actually play 5e. This is no longer the case. The elementals presented in the MM are all Large, and the minis have been modelled to look just like the ones in the book, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they all be the right size, instead of only some of them.

BB Shockwave

Explorer
I don't use Attack Wing. I use the minis to represent whatever I WANT them to represent. Why can't you do the same? You are using the minis for the boosters, not Attack Wing - use those as young adult dragons.
Officially, no there is no such indication - check the bases, it just says "Green Dragon". Even the Gargantuan Brass and Silver are labelled as "Brass Dragon" and the box says "Elder" - and well, so were the Elder Blue and Copper in Lords of Maddness. So this is fine for me as it is.

No, I don't play 5E. I collect minis to use to represent creatures I have liked since 2E, and I care very little what the current RPG (which I never played to begin with) says about them. An elemental is an elemental, and they come in all shapes and sizes and forms. I use Pathfinder, Mage Knight, Reaper and any other miniature that I think can represent a creature or race so-so. Like, the Mage Knight Sand Minion (just got one) makes for a rather good Mud Elemental, for example. And frankly if you want Large elementals, we have tons of such minis from previous DDM and Pathfinder.

As for Rage of Demons, I am sure to order a case from this, as so far I need all the minis I have seen. :)

pukunui

Legend
I use the minis to represent whatever I WANT them to represent. Why can't you do the same?
Because if I *want* to have a mini to represent an actual adult - or ancient - dragon, my options are severely limited. There's only one green dragon mini that's larger than Large, and it's that hideous 4e one with the nose spike (and is quite expensive on the secondary market, to boot). I've had to purchase the Huge size Elder Iron Dragon in order to have a reasonably generic-looking dragon of the appropriate size for an adult dragon.

On top of that, I already have plenty of Large dragons from DDM. I don't want any more. Plus, they're just too small and insignificant when you plop them down on the table next to the Medium size PCs. The bigger dragons are much more intimidating and impressive. (For the record, I've got Icingdeath and the gargantuan blue from the Icons series.)

No, I don't play 5E.
May I ask what you're doing posting in the 5e forums then?

BB Shockwave

Explorer
Because if I *want* to have a mini to represent an actual adult - or ancient - dragon, my options are severely limited. There's only one green dragon mini that's larger than Large, and it's that hideous 4e one with the nose spike (and is quite expensive on the secondary market, to boot). I've had to purchase the Huge size Elder Iron Dragon in order to have a reasonably generic-looking dragon of the appropriate size for an adult dragon.

On top of that, I already have plenty of Large dragons from DDM. I don't want any more. Plus, they're just too small and insignificant when you plop them down on the table next to the Medium size PCs. The bigger dragons are much more intimidating and impressive. (For the record, I've got Icingdeath and the gargantuan blue from the Icons series.)

May I ask what you're doing posting in the 5e forums then?

Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME for daring to post you guys information on the new minis... How dare I approach this thread when I am not a fan of the newest edition that'll probably last as many years as 4E did, or less ;)

thewok

First Post
I'm still disappointed that the dragons are all too small (just like the giants, and some of the elementals, and so on and so forth ... What's up with that anyway? Is WizKids just not paying attention? Does WotC not care that the minis don't match up size-wise?).
I'm not sure the dragons are too small. I think the Mediums are too big. Remember that the size category refers to fighting space and not just the size of the creature. Humans are not five feet wide. You can cram four humans into a five-foot space, but they can't fight properly.

My only wish is that they wouldn't make everything that could fly actually fly. I want some grounded flyers. Maybe even alt sculpts of the same size thing so I can do flying and not flying for a visual clue when playing.

pukunui

Legend
I'm not sure the dragons are too small. I think the Mediums are too big. Remember that the size category refers to fighting space and not just the size of the creature. Humans are not five feet wide. You can cram four humans into a five-foot space, but they can't fight properly.
The dragons are definitely too small to be adults, let alone ancient dragons. Tiamat, Bahamut and the case incentives are a better size.

And that still doesn't explain the discrepancy with, say, the elementals - all of which are Large in the RPG and yet only two of the minis are on Large bases, with the other two being on Medium ones.

JNC

First Post
Well, consider the old DDM line is DEAD. WidKids doesn't want a baggage filler role in this. WizKids and WotC want to cater to the 5th edition, just like the 4e minis catered to 4th edition. They are only printing minis that appear in the Monster Manual and adventures. This is good. Just B/C the dragon appears smaller than what someone might expect based on a Dead line doesn't count.

The wingspan alone makes the mini the size it is. I'd rather have appropriately sized wings than a big cramped pose dragon like the older line. Non-flying options would be nice, but there's only so many minis being created, I'll deal with it. Most are already made tho'.

This is a new line, I'd rather support it. If this line dies, then what? Base size isn't really as important as getting decent representations.
I never like any of the older gargantuans or the colossal. Orcus is cool tho'

New Tiamat is a nice addition to my horde, the old aspect is out dated. New Tiamat might not be the colossal it should be for collector purposes, but I'm better with than without. How big should the flying minis be. They already are really big, the size/scale compromise with wingspan is at a good ration. It's a new product and it's doing what it does well.

One big shame that history thought me is bitterness(and the economy) killed the 4E's ambition of providing great cheap minis to compliment 4-E's gameplay. So many great new 4E concepts that'll never see production. I hope this line goes on for quite some time, b/c it's already made some great minis.

Remove ads

Remove ads