RAGE OF DEMONS Minis From WizKids

Coming soon from WiKids are the official licensed Rage of Demons miniatures. Here's a quick look at three of them - the invisible blink dog, the air mymridon, and the the drow scout. These come in the Icons of the Realms series.

Coming soon from WiKids are the official licensed Rage of Demons miniatures. Here's a quick look at three of them - the invisible blink dog, the air mymridon, and the the drow scout. These come in the Icons of the Realms series.

rod_minis.png

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I believe WizKids did not have a booth at GenCon, and neither did Wizards. I could find no GenCon preview of these minis.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Anyone else wishing the gargantuan dracolich was some other color besides white? I don't know why, but I'm just getting kind of sick of all the white dragons. WotC did Icingdeath back in the day. Paizo has a big white too. How about a big green? I think there was a huge one in that last WotC set (Lords of Madness?) or thereabouts, but we've never had a gargantuan green, as far as I can remember.

There was a Huge green in Legendary Evils but it was the butt-ugly 4E version. Just sold mine now that thankfully 5E is back to the proper finned look.
And well, we are never gonna have a gargantuan green - the new gargantuans are like slightly over Huge.
WizKids/Paizo did a Gargantuan Green Dragon as a case incentive figure for the Pathfinder Legends of Golarian set. It is on a 4-inch round base.
View attachment 69608

evilbob

Explorer
So these look like they come in MtG-style "random boxes" - is that what other people are getting as well? (Unless your retailer just opens the boxes and sells them one-by-one of course.)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
So these look like they come in MtG-style "random boxes" - is that what other people are getting as well? (Unless your retailer just opens the boxes and sells them one-by-one of course.)
Yes, they come in random assortment boxes, except the special gargantuan case-incentive figure.

Mirtek

Hero
Yes, they came in these boses ever since WotC started the first line in 2003. The Rage of Demons minis will actually the 25th series (22 done by WotC before and this is now the 3rd since being outsourced to WizKids)

vandaexpress

First Post
They don't match the stated sizes in the Monster Manual. Adult dragons are meant to be Huge, but the WizKids dragons are mostly Large at best. The giants are all supposed to be Huge as well, and while the figures might be, they're squeezing them down onto Large bases. And while all four main elemental types are meant to be Large, the water and earth elementals are only Medium size.

So yeah, it seems like no one at WotC is bothering to make sure WizKids is doing all the figures so they're the right size for the RPG.

This has bothered me as well. Interestingly enough, I think that WotC knew that this was going to be the case back when they were still working on the core rulebooks, though. Check out p251 in the DMG, first paragraph. It specifically calls out a case where you're using a mini with a large base to represent a huge giant. I still don't like it. To me, the biggest annoyance is when it's a creature that's big enough to eat a medium-sized creature whole and it's not entirely clear that they could actually fit such a creature down its throat.

Fortunately, it seems that the 5e minis from GF9 are correctly scaled, at least. Here's the GF9 Remorhaz I used to inflict PTSD as a bonus action on my level 8 party a few weeks ago.

View attachment 69617
View attachment 69618
View attachment 69619

And yes... I have been waiting for a semi-relevant discussion to find an excuse to shamelessly display this bad boy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

pukunui

Legend
This has bothered me as well. Interestingly enough, I think that WotC knew that this was going to be the case back when they were still working on the core rulebooks, though. Check out p251 in the DMG, first paragraph. It specifically calls out a case where you're using a mini with a large base to represent a huge giant.
Hmm. I hadn't noticed that before. Boo!

GF9's minis certainly are pretty. My problem with them is that they come unassembled and unpainted - and are quite fragile. Doesn't seem worth the high cost to me. :(

vandaexpress

First Post
Hmm. I hadn't noticed that before. Boo!

GF9's minis certainly are pretty. My problem with them is that they come unassembled and unpainted - and are quite fragile. Doesn't seem worth the high cost to me. :(

The fragility is the only thing that really bugs me, especially on the smaller minis. As for the cost, at this point I only invest in them for iconic and/or "set piece" encounters (boss fights) where I want to stun them with the sheer size of the baddie (like a remorhaz). I hire out the assembly and painting to a local. I wouldn't recommend them except for boss creatures, honestly. They do amaze and entertain the players, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads