• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Railroads, Illusionism, and Participationism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I think we should make a distinction between game mechanics (like in Apocalypse World and Burning Wheel) that oblige a GM to use their authority in certain directed ways and one (like in FATE and Numenera) grant limited authority to players based on some limited currency. They are as different from each other as they are from games that lack teeth on these measures.

I dunno, man. They aren't identical, certainly, but at the very least, unless my understanding is wrong, the PbtA mechanic at hand demands the GM (assuming they're playing the game in a way that's been indicated to be against the spirit of the game) create a change in the environment that moves the players purposes forward in some fashion. That's obviously far less precise than things like the Adventure mechanic or Cortex Asset creation, but it doesn't seem different in kind.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Perhaps 'none' might be technically incorrect, but D&D and other trad games give the player almost no authority on such department and it is basically always subject to GM veto. Now I explicitly mean authority during the game, in character creation there might be more setting contributions from players.

I was about to say, there's always at least some during character creation, but if you're drawing the line at during play--it at least gets a lot more fussy about how much authority is really authority. But you're correct that traditional GM-on-top approaches pretty much do at least assert GM authority to veto, well, anything a PC does in-game.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I dunno, man. They aren't identical, certainly, but at the very least, unless my understanding is wrong, the PbtA mechanic at hand demands the GM (assuming they're playing the game in a way that's been indicated to be against the spirit of the game) create a change in the environment that moves the players purposes forward in some fashion. That's obviously far less precise than things like the Adventure mechanic or Cortex Asset creation, but it doesn't seem different in kind.

The only way I could see someone confusing FATE and Apocalypse World for one another is if they viewed all roleplaying games as fundamentally being storytelling games and viewed the only role of mechanics being distribution of authority. These games are like fire and water. They both share the similarity of not being air, but that's where the similarity ends.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I will also note that there are important issues of scale with this question. While there's a subset of people who don't even want a player coming up with their parents name, its pretty rare to see someone get particular concerned about that (it might have been a case in some really hard-core old school simulationist-uber-alles types, but I don't recall hitting it even among them). That's why I said the "this perfectly normal sword I bought with starting gold is really my father's sword" isn't an issue for almost anyone; it doesn't have any significant impact on play unless its developed much further in some fashion.

Things that set up big play state events tend to be viewed differently by a lot of people; that's why even in games that let players do them, there tend to be mechanical limiters of some sort (metacurrency, die rolls, or both). And the farther you get up the scale, the more likely this is to be true: people who won't care much about a player developing his home village (because, again, unless worked into play, it probably will never be more than background color) will still have some issues with someone developing the nearby country his parents fled from when he was a child (because most likely that development will, or at least should, have ripples that effect a lot of other parts of the campaign). That doesn't mean no group ever is allowed to do that (mutual development of campaign among the players and GM is, after all, a thing) but it does mean there's people for whom its not considered appropriate, either for themselves or others in a game they're playing.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The only way I could see someone confusing FATE and Apocalypse World for one another is if they viewed all roleplaying games as fundamentally being storytelling games and viewed the only role of mechanics being distribution of authority. These games are like fire and water. They both share the similarity of not being air, but that's where the similarity ends.

Yet I see people lump them together all the time, so to some people at least those are important elements they share.

(I see the distinction more--among other things, PbtA is far more focused on the play importance of failure than Fate or Cortex--but I think to some people that's getting down into the weeds more than they care about).

Aldarc

Legend
Yet I see people lump them together all the time, so to some people at least those are important elements they share.

(I see the distinction more--among other things, PbtA is far more focused on the play importance of failure than Fate or Cortex--but I think to some people that's getting down into the weeds more than they care about).
But are they lumping them together for this reason? There is a lot of context missing as to why these games may be discussed together, including - much as Campell points out - on the virtue of being more storytelling oriented games that have different philosophies from D&D/BRP-style TTRPGs.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm curious how you feel your position (as a big time 4e advocate...like myself) on Spout Lore and Story Now content generation squares with your 4e love (which is riddled with Story Now generation and stance drift).

It would seem to me that someone cognitively captured or preoccupied (pick whichever word you feel describes your disposition) by this particular strain (as it pertains to TTRPGs) of internal causality modeling you're espousing would fall on a particular side of the edition war fault line (eg not the side you appear to be on!) of Martial Dailies and Come and Get It and Streetwise and Damage on a Miss and Fail Forward Consequence Generation and Warlords Shouting Back HPs (to use the edition warrior's trope that attempts to hang 4e D&D by the damage : HP internal causality petard) after a vicious combat with any capable D&D foe (take your pick)!

How do you feel your position on Spout Lore and Story Now content generation in Dungeon World squares with your love of 4e (particularly these things above)?
Okay. Started replying to this earlier but kept getting distracted. I like how 4e did things. Some of this comes from my "gamist" values--which are also part of why I like Dungeon World, e.g. its "carrot" alignment model or rewarding failed rolls with XP--it can use a linear XP chart (your next level is always 7+current level XP away) because, as your stats increase, you'll roll fewer 6- rolls, and thus naturally level up more slowly--but this is diegetic, because it's literally representing your character having less to learn from things they're good at doing.

With 4e, I have no problem accepting a rather abstracted idea of what a combat round is because a combat round is an inherently and expectedly abstract thing. I see no more issue with "will my hit land or not" than I do with "will I have an opening for my Come and Get It maneuver." Further, there are several places where, like the above example with XP, I see 4e mechanics as being the flavor, that is, there's no separation between understanding what the mechanic means and understanding what the flavor is, with the 4e version of Lay on Hands being my (heh) ready-to-hand example. It was always kinda boring to me prior to 4e (and 5e returned to that form), where it was just a pool of points. In 4e, it is literally "I give of myself, to replenish you." You are sacrificing some of your own vitality in order to restore someone else's; the flavor (making sacrifices for others) is literally the mechanics (you spend a surge but someone else gets the healing). Many of the other things you mention are similarly...not a problem for me. I have zero problems with Warlords being fantastical without being magical; they are warriors who can go toe-to-toe with bus-sized fire-breathing lizards, they're already fantastical, there's no loss of groundedness by taking a very slightly generous interpretation of the whole "if you can keep someone's homeostatic equilibrium up, they can survive otherwise fatal wounds" thing that really does happen IRL.

I don't see hit points as representing anything more than...hit points, an abstract measure of your staying power. They can be luck, or grit, or stamina, or a bit of actual meat, or a ton of other things--that's not quantum in my book, it's just that the mechanic from the outset does not commit to a singular thing it represents, in exactly the same way as "a hit roll" or "a saving throw" does not commit to a singular physical thing it represents, it's just a mechanic that intentionally covers a huge variety of (at best) vaguely-related events.

My issue with the causation thing WRT the "caper" and similar is very specifically how it ties the causality into knots, which I'll cover more later. It bothers me a great deal to have "evidence" (presumptively carriers of facts about something) that only exist because of some prior event....but whose significance cannot, even in principle, exist until after someone (player or DM) declares what their significance always was. But like I said, I'll come back to that as I respond to pemerton.
Well, that's not how I use it, how @Manbearcat uses it, how @Ovinomancer uses it, or how Ron Edwards uses it.

If Force just meant the GM deciding something then it would not be a very useful analytical tool, because nearly every moment of RPGing involves the GM deciding something (eg if a player has their PC approach a NPC to talk to them, the GM has to decide what the NPC says; that is not, per se, Force as any of those I just mentioned use the term).
Then I have been understanding the term incorrectly, so I apologize. However, looking it up...I'm not getting very good/useful definitions. One usage even seems to exactly reflect the way I described it: "Jesse: I'm just still a little confused between Narrativism and Simulationism where the Situation has a lot of ethical/moral problems embedded in it and the GM uses no Force techniques to produce a specific outcome." Now, admittedly, it sounds like Jesse got something wrong there as Ron corrects them, but it certainly isn't helping things. The only other thing my google-fu turned up was the provisional glossary, which wasn't very helpful: "Force: A Forge term for control over the protagonist characters' thematically-significant decisions by anyone who is not the character's player. It is considered an awkward term by Ron Edwards because of (1) its sense of imposed mandate and strength-in-control, and (2) its parodic Star Wars connotation. Originally called "GM-oomph" (Ron Edwards), then "GM-Force" (Mike Holmes)." (I could not find a non-provisional glossary, so I assume this is the best I can get.)

I still don't know how you would reconcile this with your stated preference for backstory-based mysteries. I mean, if you decide this at a particular moment of play, it was not something written in your notes that the players might have learned, by provoking you to reveal it via their action declarations, at some earlier moment of play.
Because there isn't already-obtained evidence that could (apparently) point literally anywhere until someone (a player on a good roll, me on a bad roll, whatever) declares what they mean-and-always-meant. This is literally discovering the evidence in the moment and realizing what it means in that same moment. There is never any period where the evidence, from a "Doylist" perspective, points in seven different directions until it doesn't; there is only the evidence and its meaning generated in the same moment. The players get deceived by NPCs all the time, so it's hardly a bizarro thing that "super rich person" ends up having nefarious connections (really, it's almost a surprise if such folks don't have such a thing somewhere! You gotta be at least a little ruthless to get to the top.)

Again, my issue isn't "it wasn't in my notes" (I accept TONS of things from my players that were never in my notes). It isn't "the group discovers something together, me included," because I quite like it when my players reveal things of that nature in some contexts. It's very specifically:
1) there is already-acquired, extant evidence which (logically) must point to something specific (e.g. "don't touch the murder weapon! We need to dust it for prints!" or "the body had a torn-off piece of costume clenched in its fist--the murderer must not have noticed it being removed!"), the players just don't know what these things might mean yet
2) the player rolls an attempt to discover more about the situation
3) because of the result of that roll, whether good or bad, someone declares that, now, all of the extant evidence points toward Suspect Q instead of Suspects M, N, O, P, or R
4) As a result, the guilt-declaration makes the clues point to the person who, now, always was guilty.

That very specific thing--declaring that a particular person did the deed, so now the evidence reflects that--is what bothers me. It is the past being rewritten so that it always did support whatever the present now says, for good or for ill, no matter what.

Essentially...I cannot see this as an example of "principled" authorship. It feels inherently unprincipled, because it means the clues were worthless (as in, they had literally zero ability to indicate who actually was guilty) up until the moment that guilt was declared, and then they become retroactively damning. That bothers me, a great deal.

I don't see how this is to be reconciled with what you said just above, about going with something like such-and-such a NPC was secretly one of them.
I dunno what to say then. No one among us has a problem with that sort of thing. It doesn't feel like a caper-being-solved. It feels like a dramatic reveal. Perhaps it helps that they only knew a very small amount about this person? There wasn't any "evidence" to point wrong ways, really--they had a single meeting with her, proposed the honey-trap caravan, and executed it. Her being secretly a cultist would have been a nasty shock, but would not have triggered any "the pieces were all there, we could've seen it" things, unlike other things that (I personally) would call actual mysteries, things being pieced together from evidence, rather than mere shocking reveals or unknown things.

(I very much feel like I'm struggling incredibly hard against a wall of insistent terminology; "mystery" being taken at its absolute broadest possible meaning, aka "literally anything that isn't yet known," as opposed to the pretty clear "murder caper" meaning I had been using; treating ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING that might be a reveal or twist as having to work exactly the same way when...it doesn't have to, because some things can be built up to over time while others are sudden and dramatic without such prior work and that's okay.)

I don't see how you can avoid this. <snip> RPGing is rife with this sort of thing.
You take me to mean more than I intended to claim. Again, you're hyper-generalizing this to literally all possible situations and...that's not what I do.

It really, truly is exclusively about the piecing-it-together thing, about reasoning through it from evidence. If there was never an opportunity to collect evidence, then it's not a "mystery" as I'm using the term. If there was, and those things are established, then whether I prepped them or not, they need to point to something. Evidence that is somehow empty of explanatory content until after one declares what it explains...isn't evidence, it's just a prop, a plastic facsimile. The pearls have been outed as mere glass beads, the diamond is merely paste, the dagger.

And if these things aren't empty of explanatory content, then they can't just be subject to player declarations. The players are inherently hemmed in, unable to freely declare whatever-they-like if they roll well (just as I am unable to freely declare whatever-I-like if they roll poorly).

The player saying, "Hey, I wanna find a candy shop," and us improvising that out? Has literally nothing to do with this. Completely different field. There is no evidence nor any gathering thereof, there is no reasoning-through-it process. There is no possibility of "the player declaration makes the evidence mean what the player declared." There is no possibility of the good-or-bad player roll rewriting the evidence so that it now means, and as of now always has meant, whatever was declared. There's just..."hey, do sweet shops exist?" "Sure, this is a big city, there's tons, what in specific are you looking for?" "Well, back in Jinnistan, we had some awesome food at the hotel when the sultan paid for our stay, I figured there was probably some candy in there...and I've never had candy before, let alone posh Jinnistani candy. My mind has been blown and I want more." "Alright, awesome, you head over to the fancy-pants shopping district (where people give you the stink eye due to your decidedly non-posh appearance) and..." etc. That's not uncovering the solution to a "mystery" (as I am using the term) via reasoning about evidence. It's certainly declaring things about the world, but not making past evidence conform to present declarations.

I'm still curious as to what RPG you have in mind here.
Dungeon World. Isn't that what we've been talking about? Isn't that the whole problem you've had with my stuff, that there was already a murderer and evidence to find and that that is Absolute Anathema for playing Dungeon World Correctly™? Because I'm coercing my players into behaving exactly the way I always planned and just pulling the wool over their eyes about any perception of "freedom" or "choice" or the like?

Arilyn

Hero
Yes. I love Fate, but for all the critics claiming that it's not a real rpg, that players can wish anything into existence, Fate, at its core, is a pretty traditional rpg. It has innovations that some players find tricky to wrap their heads around like aspects. Fate points take centre stage, which may be loved or hated, but these are just game mechanics. The play loop is quite traditional. And I agree, Fate feels very different from AW.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity

On the foundational level the entire philosophy of how Fate and Apocalypse World operate is completely different. Both operate in a way that is philosophically different than GM as Storyteller D&D, but could not be more different from one another if they tried. FATE is at heart a game of cooperative storytelling where GMs and players collude to tell a story together. Apocalypse World represents a rejection of that collusion. A complete and total rejection of it in damn near every way. It instead asks to follow the fictional situation to its end. For players and GMs to just bring it without a particular end in mind.

I literally don't know how anyone who has direct experiences with these games could say they are even close to the same sort of experience. In my experience that lumping together only really comes from people who lump everything outside the mainstream together.

Thomas Shey

Legend
But are they lumping them together for this reason? There is a lot of context missing as to why these games may be discussed together, including - much as Campell points out - on the virtue of being more storytelling oriented games that have different philosophies from D&D/BRP-style TTRPGs.

For most people not at least part way over into those games penumbra its all of a piece. But I've seen the topic at hand come up about all of them repeatedly (most commonly about Fate, but that's largely because its so central and, well, brute force there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads