Recruitment for The Mist and the Moon

Mythmere

First Post
For Jarsan only

For Jarsan only

The Cult of Dagnos

Everyone knows that Dagnos and his big clerics stand for the motto of “Be strong, drink deep, belch mightily.” Of course, there is considerably more to the Cult of Dagnos than one might imagine, and there is more to some of his clerics than one might guess.

In most rural settlements, the worship of Dagnos is limited to the occasional toast over a mug of beer, a simple acknowledgement of the deity. There is generally a prayer to Dagnos when it comes time to brew the beer, and whenever considerable strength will be required for a task such as pulling out a tree stump, lifting a stone into place, or facing one’s spouse after an all-night bender with the other village farmers down at the pub.

A wise observer might, however, consider the doings of this wide network of traveling clerics more closely. Many forget that the Cult of Dagnos interprets “Be Strong” to mean that the common man should fight to be free of tyranny and oppression. In many instances, riots and battles to overthrow bad rulers began with the arrival of a cleric of Dagnos in the area. The “Seven Catapultings of Lord Cedwell,” set to a popular tune by the radical bard Boddo Balmoor, is an excellent example. The arrival of Dubvardo in the village of Pell Nun is the very first stanza of the song. What is not mentioned in the song is that Dubvardo traveled to the surrounding manor houses and incited the peasants (with the help of Boddo) to march on Pell Nun, bringing with them their own lords to assist in overthrowing another noble, the evil Lord Cedwell. Dubvardo was also the only person who knew how to work a catapult, but this is beside the point.

In addition to waging a quiet (and sometimes slightly drunken) war against tyranny, the Clerics of Dagnos have a deity to honor. Most towns will have an individual referred to as the Caskmaster. This person, usually but not always a cleric, coordinates information for all the clerics of Dagnos in the town. The position usually falls to whomever fails to show up at the election. “Caskmaster” is the only administrative position in the entire religion. Everything else is done by individual initiative. However, there are certain titles that are occasionally granted by Dagnos to some of his followers. When a cleric is accepted into the service of Dagnos, a mark appears on his right palm, visible only through beer, and even then only when the cleric wishes it to be visible. For most clerics, the mark is that of a cup, Dagnos’ holy symbol. However, after great deeds, the mark will sometimes change into a cask, and for a very few clerics, performers of legendary deeds, a pair of warhammers will appear crossed over the cask.

The clerics of Dagnos and the clerics of Lothos are bitter enemies, and the Cult of Dagnos has consequently been outlawed in many fiefs and principalities of the Heidenlaand Empire.

The most common password (other than the use of the mark on the hand for identification) is the use of the phrase, "We all belch sometimes, but you can belch most loudly for justice." The proper response is: "To belch is to be."

Chonicler

First Post
Xes Caradtor: male human Ftr1/Drd1; CR 2; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d8+1d10+4; hp 20; Init +2 (Dex); Spd 30 ft; AC 15 (+3 studded leather, +2 Dex); Atks +2 melee (1d6+1, quarterstaff), or +2 melee (1d6+1/crit x3, halfspear), or +0/+0 melee (1d6+1/1d6+1, quarterstaff), or +3 ranged (1d6/crit x3, halfspear); SA spells; SQ animal companion (hawk), nature sense; AL N; SV Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4; Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Animal Empathy +3, Climb +5, Jump +5, Swim +5, Wilderness Lore +4; Ambidexterity, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting.

Possessions: Explorer's outfit, masterwork quarterstaff, masterwork studded leather, five halfspears, waterskin, ten days' rations, 50' silk rope, bedroll, backpack, scroll case, and scrolls of cure light wounds (x2), entangle, and summon nature's ally.

Druid Spells Prepared (3/2): detect magic, light, read magic; shillelagh, summon nature's ally.

Background: Xes was born and raised in Marbolg. Showing no desire to become a merchant, he was enrolled by his parents at the age of thirteen into a school of wizardry. He was a poor student and had no real talent for arcane magic, nor did he possess the will to learn, turning most of his energy towards pranks and frivolity. On the night of his seventeenth birthday, he broke into a master's laboratory during the night, intending to play a practical joke, but in his carelessness accidently unleashed a rampaging demon upon the populace. Xes was exiled into the wilds for his foolishness and learned to live by his wits and gained maturity that he never learned as the spoiled son of rich merchants. In addition, he learned a fair amount of fighting expertise as well as a knowledge of nature while having to hunt for every scrap of food, though he would occasionally attack groups of rangers from the city when food was scarce. However, he holds no grudge against the city for his exile.

[Edit: Dropped wisdom by a point to make it a 28-point buy (oops) and cleaned up the background to read more smoothly, and added some details.]

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Cool PC, Chonicler. And between the Clr2 of War, Brb1/Clr1 of Strength, and the Ftr1/Dru1, I think we have muscle AND healing covered. :)

For Mythmere only...

Wow, that background is good stuff. I'll be sure to take it into account. And hey, it looks like Liberation might actually have been a good domain choice!! I must be psychic. ;)

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Froedrich Ostrander
Gnome Cleric 2 of Fjorn Thundercaller AL:CG
Str 10 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 16 Cha 12
AC 17 (5 armor, 1 Dex 1 Size) Flat 16, Touch 12
HP 17 (max@1st=8 + rolled 7 +2 con)
BaB +1 (+3 melee or missle)
Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +6 Initiative +5 Move 20'
Improved Initiative Turn Undead +1 Size bonus to AC +1 Size Bonus to hit
+4 Dodge Bonus vs. Giants Ghost Sound 1/Day Prestidigitation 1/Day Dancing Lights 1/Day
+1 vs. Goblinoids&Kobolds +2 vs. Illusions Low-Light Vision +2 Listen
+2 on Alchemy Speak w. Animals 1/Day +4 to Hide (Size) WF: Battle Axe (Domain)
1 Reroll 1/Day (Domain)

Spot (U) +3 Listen (U) +5 Search 1 +4 Concentration 11 +3
Prof-Brewer 1 +4 Diplomacy 1 +1 Know-Religion 1 +4 Scry 11 +5
Spellcraft 11 +3 Heal 11 +5 Know-Arcana 1 +2 Perform-Epic Poetry 1/+1
Prof-Riddlemaster 1 +4

Battle Axe +4 1D8 20/X3
Light Crossbow +3 1D8 19-20/X2 80'Inc
Dagger +3 1D4 19-20/X2 10'Inc
Hand Axe +3 1D6 20/X2
Throwing Axe +3 1D6 20/X2 10' Inc

Master Worked Battle Axe (Glimmerlicht)-300
Breastplate -200
Light Crossbow& 20 Bolts 37
6 Silvered Bolts -6
4 Daggers-8
1 Hand Axe -6
1 Throwing Axe (ring on pommel), reinforced under
blade, doubles as a grapnel hook.- 24 (I figured triple
Price was Ok for a modified weapon?
Warpony (Britengriseling)-100
Gear-10
Holy Symbol- Wooden
1 vial Holy Water -25
Potions: CLW 1D8+1 X 2 - 100
Warhorn (made from Rackenscald's twisted ram-like horn)
Satchel, pouches, 50 silk cord, flint&steel
Rosins and oils for weapons. Half dozen parchment
2 Inkpots&Quills, Shovel, Crowbar -20 or so

2 gems 10 GP each, 30 GP, 9SP, 5 CP
Usual Spells (4/4 <1 domain> )
0 Detect Magic X2
0 Light
0 Resistance

1 Magic Weapon (Domain)
1 Bless
1 Command
1 Random Action

Froedrich Ostrander hails from the North-East of the Realms. Galloping astride his yellow livried Warpony Britengriseling and bearing the Axe Glimmerlicht, Froedrich cuts an impressive if odd picture. The fact that the Barbaric priest of the war God Fjorn Thundercaller is less than 4 feet tall is a moot point, as several opponants have quickly found. Froedrick's crowning achievement in battle so far has been the defeat of the Ogre Rackenscald, who was terrorizing the small hamlet of Ulrfensfjord. Froedrick first bested the Foul Beast in a drinking contest and then (after the enraged Ogre attacked him) he slayed Rackenscald
in single combat (the Ogre did manage to kill several small saplings and at least one barrel in the fight in his drunken stupor).

OOC: Do you mind that I took Perform as a class skill (I suck@ it), but it seemed that such Clerics might spout epic (and silly) Poems and Limmericks. Let me know if this is OK or not.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Er...
there seems to be a discrepency in Stat points.
Garyh and myself are 28, while GE and Chronicler areat 30. Which total are we playing again?
(I'd love 2 extra for my Cha :D )

GoldenEagle

First Post
I think I did 28. I think the discrepency is because I made my stats with the 28 point system and then applied the halfling modifiers. As a result the 15 and 16 in dex had no extra cost. If this is incorrect let me know and I will adjust it.

GE

Mythmere

First Post
It's a 28 point buy. Is there an error in Chronicler's calculations? Regardless, I'm going to open a new thread shortly with the beginning of the adventure. We can get the stats resolved shortly, I imagine.

Uriel- the backstory is great. Geographically, Froedrich would probably hail from the western side of the Mistral Verge, in the Heidenlaand Empire. I'll post a world map at the beginning of the game thread, and I'm working on a smaller scale breakdown of the Heidenlaand. In Froedrich's case, I imagine that he would be either from the deep forests or from the foothills of the Moonfallows or Fellfastings. I take it from the pony that he probably comes from barbarian herders. And is thus gnomadic.

Chronicler- the backstory is fine. Is he Galtic (Gaelic) or Teut (Germanic)? If Galtic, he can be from the city of Marbolg; if Teut, from the city of Haarkongeld.

Garyh, unless you decide otherwise, Jarsan can hail originally from a barbarian village in the Fellfastings named Smael fyr Gwyg. It has a very nice log palisade, chickens, two oxen, and 75 inhabitants. The community prides itself on having given up headhunting and slash and burn agriculture last year.

GE, we're waiting on a name and brief backstory.

GoldenEagle

First Post
Millathos Faimane has traveled from city to city almost his entire life. Just before Millathos was born, his parents were in the service of a powerful wizard, Verduke, in the north when his father was killed in a tragic magical accident that his mother barely survived. Shortly after she died giving birth to her only child. The wizard, feeling obligated to care for young 'milos' tried to make him an apprentice. Immediately Milos took to magic, he is naturally gifted. After some years and a series of accidents along with a demonstrated lack of control (on both Milos' and Verduke's) Verduke banished milos from his sight. Milos took to the road and has provided for himself from that point. He takes care of himself. He deeply values loyalty and friendship and he knows who his true friends are (those that can stand his prectical jokes and almost irrepressable sense of humor). At 36 inches and 36 pounds he is distinguised more by his personality than his looks or "imposing" size. He knows when he is working and when he is playing and trys hard to enjoy both.

He is constantly chewing on a pipe which he doesn't smoke... "it just seems to fit" he says, "shouldn't all halflings have a pipe?"

He never stays in one place long and has just arrived in Mistral Verge when...

How do you want to handle familiars?

Last edited:

Remove ads