D&D General "Red Orc" American Indians and "Yellow Orc" Mongolians in D&D

Remathilis

Legend
It might be easier to let buyers people use the comments section on DMsGuild or wherever to report issues, then have someone on staff go verify them in the individual book (to avoid trolls), then go edit the product's description to reference the issues.
Crowdsourcing the feedback might do some of the initial heavy lifting, but sorting out wheat from chaff as far as legit criticism would still be a full time job. Far more possible though than sensitivity reader(s) going though the whole of 40 years of D&D books.

Zardnaar

Legend
Deplatforming might, but the very fact that you're confusing deplatforming with "not amplifiying" really illustrates my point re: people thinking unless an opinion is being actively amplified, it's being "suppressed".

I'm not suggesting deplatforming. I'm suggesting we stop promoting opinions based on algorithms and metrics on social media, particularly where opinions are promoted because they "increase engagement" (which usually means they're extreme and/or controversial - reasonable opinions tend not to "increase engagement"). Even if you just made it so stuff only went to people if people manually sent it to them (effectively putting their name on it) you'd potentially make a huge impact.

(Re: the SPLC in particular there's no question deplatforming makes their job - tracking extremists and extreme groups - harder, because it means those people are no longer happily outing themselves on social media.)

Yeah I forgot that aspect. Doesn't stop it ramps up the extremism and harder to monitor.

So people think they're helping but argueably they're not and making the problem worse.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I like the idea of "punching Nazi's". There are a lot of folks I don't trust to identify who is actually a Nazi though. [Edit: Clearly consequences vs. no consequences is different from physical violences vs. no physical violence.]
So are we talking about some sort of certification and licensing process? Because a Nazi Puncher badge would be so much more impressive than my Notary certificate.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Crowdsourcing the feedback might do some of the initial heavy lifting, but sorting out wheat from chaff as far as legit criticism would still be a full time job. Far more possible though than sensitivity reader(s) going though the whole of 40 years of D&D books.
Through the type of freelance work sensitivity reading typically is? No. But the answer is right there in your post: it is a full time job. So make it one.

Zardnaar

Legend
I like the idea of "punching Nazi's". There are a lot of folks I don't trust to identify who is actually a Nazi though. [Edit: Clearly consequences vs. no consequences is different from physical violences vs. no physical violence.]

I've seen street posters advocating that. Bad idea that's what they want. Escalates the violence ultimately making people pick sides.

Washington Post had an article 75% of the rank and file if the army supported the last client in chief and 95% of the officer core.

Not sure on the police but defund the police probably not a large % of support there.

Open brawlng in the street was a strategy in the 30's. "Law and order" or "get tough on crime" is a popular strategy.

Zardnaar

Legend
Through the type of freelance work sensitivity reading typically is? No. But the answer is right there in your post: it is a full time job. So make it one.
O
Hence the: "There are a lot of folks I don't trust to identify who is actually a Nazi though."

Well it's not just that. Nazis punch back is a bigger problem and being blunt they're better at it. They've been preparing for it since the 70's or so.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
"Law and order" or "get tough on crime" is a popular strategy.
These are actually not at all popular strategies anymore (at least not in the U.S., where support for the idea has been waning for years) because they have created an explosion of exploitative prisons and outrageously racist judicial outcomes. We're trying to figure out our way out of this mess now.

"Defund the police", btw, isn't "fistfights in the streets"; it's "how about instead of buying the PD another tank we spend the money on... I don't know, mental health care, addiction treatment, and houselessness support?"
(For those outside the U.S., yes some of our police departments have tanks. No, I don't get it either.)

This all outside the purview of this thread however.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Well it's not just that. Nazis punch back is a bigger problem and being blunt they're better at it. They've been preparing for it since the 70's or so.
Have you seen modern nazis? These aren't jacked skinheads anymore. They're scrawny babymen whose primary weapon is a gif of a poorly drawn frog.

Remathilis

Legend
My point is paying someone the going rate to do that kind of work on 40 years of old material is probably not in line with the sort of sales that material gets annually. If it's going to cost them most/all/more than their profits from a book to have a reader provide feedback, they may decide the cost isn't worth it. Unless their is a backlash large enough to bite into their current book sales or the costs are minimal compared to expected revenue, I don't see them doing any more than the current generic advisory they have now.

It sucks, but it's Econ 101.

Remove ads