D&D General "Red Orc" American Indians and "Yellow Orc" Mongolians in D&D

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Still, I'm not here to argue whether Native American or American Indian is the only "right" term. Because they both have their place, with some indigenous individuals preferring one or the other. "Indigenous American" or "Indigenous North American" or "First Peoples" are other options which I sometimes tap. And, like others have mentioned, the ideal is to refer to the specific nation.

It's not the same in every country. A few generations ago, in Canada (or at least the french-speaking part of it) the common term people used moved from Indians to Amerindians. Nowadays we use the term First Nations or autochtones which basically means Indigenous in English. It's just mind-blowing to me how the term Indian could still be used. We have a law here called something like (translating again) the Indian Act and there's a ton of discussions about updating it and changing the name.

There's also the matter of the names that the french gave to several cultures and the name they gave themselves. Many people still use the european terms (like montagnais) whereas they refer to themselves as Innus.

I don't think there's an answer to that. I think any fictional culture we create will likely act as a Rorschach test in that different people will see a different group reflected in it. Who do the Ferengi of Star Trek resemble most? In the first episode they appeared in, they were specifically compared to "Yankee traders" who were a somewhat unsavory group of merchants and drug smugglers from the New England area of the United States.
You’re kind right. We got innate detector for our native and neighbor culture, and thus a simple name, wording, clothing will be easily notice, and we will feel : he’s one of us or he’s one of them. But its not always accurate. I quote this from wikipedia:

Shimerman addressed the issue when asked at a question-and-answer session at a Star Trek convention. He stated that:
In America, people ask 'Do the Ferengi represent Jews?' In England, they ask 'Do the Ferengi represent the Irish?' In Australia, they ask if the Ferengi represent the Chinese[...] The Ferengi represent the outcast... it's the person who lives among us that we don't fully understand.
[30]

So when we see a depiction of outcast, our innate detector scan for : is he depicted as one of us? If not, it’s certainly one of them!

Zardnaar

Legend
You’re kind right. We got innate detector for our native and neighbor culture, and thus a simple name, wording, clothing will be easily notice, and we will feel : he’s one of us or he’s one of them. But its not always accurate. I quote this from wikipedia:

Shimerman addressed the issue when asked at a question-and-answer session at a Star Trek convention. He stated that:
In America, people ask 'Do the Ferengi represent Jews?' In England, they ask 'Do the Ferengi represent the Irish?' In Australia, they ask if the Ferengi represent the Chinese[...] The Ferengi represent the outcast... it's the person who lives among us that we don't fully understand.
[30]

So when we see a depiction of outcast, our innate detector scan for : is he depicted as one of us? If not, it’s certainly one of them!

I thought the Ferengi were satire of unbridled capitalism.

Don't shoot me watched DS9 in it's entirety first time last year iirc.

A lot of the non-human species fill structural roles.

Eg Orcs in Forgotten realms North don't really resemble Native Americans (or at least they don't from the material I remember), but they fill a structural role on the frontier that Native Americans filled in old stories.

In fact one of the things they do is allow old kinds of stories like western frontier raids to continue to be told without specifically targetting the original group.

This isn't necessarily a good thing. It can be argued that continuing to retell these kinds of stories means continuing to reinforce the thinking behind them. And of course once you give something a structural role, it doesn't take much for people to start filling in those gaps with actual problematic content (which I think is probably what happened in the book in question in this thread).

Or in other words they become containers in which people fill in their own ideas of what they represent.

Last edited:

Ashtagon

Adventurer
Looked over some of that earlier thread and Wow. The fact that there are people who see GAZ10 as an "improvement" over previous representation is just 🤯😑. I should never be surprised at this point, but sometimes I still am.

Considering that 16th century Spanish colonisers (eg Antonio Montesinos) openly discussed whether or not American Indians even had souls and thus qualified to be considered as better than livestock animals, GAZ 10 is an improvement on that. Not by much, and certainly not by enough to ever boast about, but it's there. GAZ10 being an improvement doesn't speak of the quality of the book, but of how low the bar actually was.

Granted, that's not about portrayal in RPGs specifically. Depictions of American Indians in an RPG context before the D&D Gazetteer series are thin on the ground (I couldn't find any), but there are several wargames that cover them. I've highlighted a few below, but the portrayal varies from terrible stereotypes, through to awful barbarians to NPCs.

There's the Big Chief tabletop game, variously dated as 1938 or 1950, which contains all the bad tropes common to the time. The game 7th Cavalry (1976) features units called squaws and chiefs (illustrated with feather war bonnets); American Indian units are referred to in the rules as "hostiles", contrasted with "U.S. units". Apache (1981) has the following text: "rampaging Indian tribes pillage and burn ranches, settlements, stage coaches", and oytright refers to American Indians as "red men". Top Totem (1959) features a totem pole, which appears to be grossly misrepresented in terms of its cultural meaning.

Please note that this isn't praise of GAZ10. I am simply highlighting just how low the bar actually was.

Considering that 16th century Spanish colonisers (eg Antonio Montesinos) openly discussed whether or not American Indians even had souls and thus qualified to be considered as better than livestock animals, GAZ 10 is an improvement on that. Not by much, and certainly not by enough to ever boast about, but it's there. GAZ10 being an improvement doesn't speak of the quality of the book, but of how low the bar actually was.

Please note that this isn't praise of GAZ10. I am simply highlighting just how low the bar actually was.
So, you're saying that a fantasy rpg supplement from the 1980s is less racist than the ideology of people engaged in genocide four centuries ago. The effect of this is a an apology for something that is still racist, and is a part of an ongoing history of racism inaugurated all those centuries ago. Combined with how the piazza shuts down any conversation and analysis as to how it might be racist, it certainly seems like there are a bunch of fans who just want to stick their head in the sand and not having anyone complicate their relationship to their rpg toys.

Zardnaar

Legend
So, you're saying that a fantasy rpg supplement from the 1980s is less racist than the ideology of people engaged in genocide four centuries ago. The effect of this is a an apology for something that is still racist, and is a part of an ongoing history of racism inaugurated all those centuries ago. Combined with how the piazza shuts down any conversation and analysis as to how it might be racist, it certainly seems like there are a bunch of fans who just want to stick their head in the sand and not having anyone complicate their relationship to their rpg toys.

It's like people have different opinions. ENworlds a bubble so is that one.

Side effect of mod enforced rules is it creates bubbles.

Do you go to a different country with different cultural views and dump all over them when you're there?

Similar scenario.

The Glen

Legend
I've been reading this thread with some interest but I have to chime in as the OP has...forgotten a lot of details about the setting he's calling racist. Not once has he mentioned the Ethengar or Atruaghin, the Mystaran equivalents of the Mongolians and Native Americans, and the fact that orcs in Mystara assimilate the cultures of the people they fight against the most. There's another clan of orcs in the Broken Lands that emulate the Roman legions, but apparently copying the Romans is fine. The Ethengar book is considered one of the best gazetteers in the line, while the Atruaghin book was notoriously rushed.

By removing the context behind the races you remove what made those orcs unique to the setting. The Red orcs dress and act that way because they fought for centuries against the Horse Clan before they were separated by an act of divine magic. But the Red orcs still copy the culture of the people that fought them to a standstill. The yellow orcs still fight the Ethengar, and believe by using their tactics and copying their customs they will gain a measure of their opponent's power. The black orcs dress in vaguely Thyatian gear, march in formation, and try to fight like the Legions that they witnessed crush all before them years ago. Orcs copy cultures in Mystara. The beastmen races were created by a jealous Immortal to throw down the kingdoms of men and demi-humans, and she did this by reincarnating the souls of the evilest mortals into a new race who over the years evolved into the various humanoid races.

The Aztec styled humanoids are a bit more complicated because they worship Atzanteotl, the patron of corruption and betrayal. He came from a culture similar to the Aztecs, and tries to corrupt other races into his worship. Every race he corrupts he has take up the culture of his original people. The Oinkmarians are just one of the groups he's corrupted. The schattenalfen, the original Azcan of the Hollow World, and the Tiger Clan of the Atruaghin also fell under his sway, and all have adopted Aztec trappings. Aztanteotl then tells his different followers that they are his true worshipers and to kill anybody who claims that they are his true followers. Meaning all the groups hate each other. He's a bit of a jerk.

The Piazza has a standing rule if you don't like something then give an example of how to change the lore to make it positive. The setting is rife with continuity problems. Thorfinn has spent years getting the errors in cartography right. It's an incredibly welcoming and friendly board as long as people obey the rules. The first rule is if something is problematic, give a suggestion on how to fix it. People have dumped near doctoral theses on that page explaining the problem and their suggestion on the solution and gotten equality long diatribes in response. It's often funny, and quite entertaining. But they take the whole of the setting into consideration, without cherry-picking.

Remove ads