D&D General "Red Orc" American Indians and "Yellow Orc" Mongolians in D&D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are wrsatz Romans in other products.

I can't recall the art that much either way as it's been to long.

I remember PCs raising an army and invading Thyatis and winning a few battles with 4000 troops.

Struggling to remember the name of said product but the Emperor's name was Thincol and he was having an affair with an immortal named Vanya.

This was 1995 or so perhaps.
I wasn’t concerned about the existence of ersatz Romans, but rather, if they were or were not presented in bigoted terms and imagery.

Because the product in question clearly used RW bigotry as a foundation of how certain cultures were depicted, any complaints of ripping/riffing off other civilizations loses strength if those other cultures are not similarly denigrated.

Zardnaar

Legend
Cicero was pissed at Brutus for a few reasons. Namely because Cicero had set the usury cap at 12% but also because it was illegal as hell for Romans in the capital to lend to provincials. Brutus arranged for his "friends" to make the loan but it was actually him. Remember, this is someone largely thought of as "honorable" who used his position to fleece and coerce the people of Cyprus for his own personal benefit.

Heh who was that rich oligarch who raised his own army and died vs Parthia?

I remember my classics lecturer telling me reading the ancient stuff "these guys were psychopaths".

Alot of pip culture stuff is loosely based on Tacitus and Suetonius iirc. Cruel world.

Do you go to a different country with different cultural views and dump all over them when you're there?

I am a "native" of the "country" of the Mystaran forums. I've been a participant in the Mystara Piazza since it was created, and I participated in the Mystara Mailing List and Mystara Message Board before that, going back over 20 years.

How is it that all of a sudden, I'm not a "nice and good Mystara fan" when I broach the topic of problematic depictions, such as racial epithets? Even when I try very hard to present it in an informative, well-researched way.

Last edited:

Either that or it's simply their variant of Generic Brand Video

Just about every company has one of those nowadays and 99% just have them because you're supposed to have one and no one at the company cares a bit about it.

I work in a medium company, ~11k employees worldwide, doing a boring product for a boring industry and of course we have our mission and values leaflet and ever couple of years pay a couple of ten thousand dollars to some PR company to refresh it. Mostly just slightly rewording the same empty statements and replace a background of a green forest with a background of a clean river, etc.

Really just a fig leaf that someone believes investors are requiring you to have. Or investors, that don't really care either, believing they have to require it from their investments

Earlier in the thread, I say as much.

The fact that the disclaimer is a bland, platitudinous boilerplate in no way stops me from voicing concerns, or from calling on Wizards to step up and bring their words to life.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I've been a participant in the Mystara Piazza since it was created, and I participated in the Mystara Mailing List and Mystara Message Board before that, going back over 20 years.

How is it that all of a sudden, I'm not a "nice and good Mystara fan" when I broach the topic of problematic depictions, such as racial epithets? Even when I try very hard to present it in an informative, well-researched way.
Right?
Funny* how that works.

*not really funny at all

Zardnaar

Legend
I am a "native" of the "country" of the Mystaran forums. I've been a participant in the Mystara Piazza since it was created, and I participated in the Mystara Mailing List and Mystara Message Board before that, going back over 20 years.

I'm not familiar with the rules that place gas but generally most places online it's "their house their castle".

If it's against the rules the mods will ping you. If I had to guess it's probably just to avoid arguements on the forums that just gonna piss people off kinda like no edition wars here.

The interior logic of the setting is not the most relevant context here. What we are talking about is the context of a set of representations produced in the United States, a country built on stolen land, and how the representations in this particular supplement connect to other popular and racist representations of indigenous people.
If the land is "stolen" then immigrants, migrants, and refugees have no right to move to the United States.

Remove ads