Regeneration and Subdual Damage

jaults

First Post
   OK... I've read the rules in the PHB and the DMG and I am still confused.

Let's say we are fighting a troll (63 HP, Regeneration(5)). We cause it 53 points of damage using fireballs, alchemist's fire and the like. It has 10 HP left. The fighter steps up, weathers the AoO and whacks the troll for 15 points of damage using his greatsword.
   The troll has 15 points of subdual damage and 10 HPs, so it falls to the ground unconscious. We leave, foolishly thinking the troll is dead.
   What happens now? Does the troll:
      a) stay unconscious for 1 round. At the beginning of the next round, the troll is staggered, because its regen has healed 5 points of subdual damage (so it now has 10 subdual). At the beginning of the 3rd round, it is fine, because its regeneration has knocked it down to 5 subdual...
      b) stay unconscious for an indeterminate time, until it makes the cumulative 10% "waking up" roll when unconscious. It will likely be fine when it wakes up, with 0 points of subdual damage.
      c) something else entirely...

Thanks!
      Jason

Mal-2

First Post
jaults said:
The troll has 15 points of subdual damage and 10 HPs, so it falls to the ground unconscious. We leave, foolishly thinking the troll is dead.
   What happens now?

The troll staggers back to its feet six seconds later, the sword wound already closing in its body. You shouldn't have made it very far unless the troll was playing dead. Even a few seconds of observation should have shown you that the troll wasn't down for good, assuming you could see the so-called fatal wound closing before your eyes.

Mal-2

wolff96

First Post
Re: Regen

Darkness said:
Also, why didn't you burn its remains after downing it?

Because it could be the first time that the characters have encountered/heard of trolls and their group tries NOT to metagame?

jaults

First Post
Well, actually...

...this was all hypothetical. Our characters are GOING to run into a troll tomorrow, and I wanted to make sure I knew what was going on...

Thanks for the answer!
      Jason

Donatello

Explorer
wolff96 said:

Because it could be the first time that the characters have encountered/heard of trolls and their group tries NOT to metagame?

Heh, is that why their first 53 points of damage were via Fire sources?

Remove ads