D&D (2024) Replacing Short rest with Recovery Action

Horwath

Legend
Right now, short rest vs. long rest is "in theory" a good mechanics for classes to have different management of resources per day.
In theory only;
we have a problem that mostly we can get a long rest if we are able to secure a location for an hour, then we can secure it for 7 more.
Unless the DM REALLY pushed the doom clock.

as per healing surge rule in DMG for HD usage, why not put entire short rest in one Action?

And then limit it to certain numbers per day.

I.E. you can use Recovery(short rest) a number of times equal to half your proficiency bonus(round up).

Then you get one usage at levels 1-4, two usages at levels 5-12 and 3 usages at levels 13-20.

To prevent spamming it later, we could have a 1-5 minute(s) "cooldown" to prevent it being used in same "standard" encounter more then once.

To delay casting classes next big spell being used after recovery, we could have a rule that on the round using it and the round after, only spells that can be cast are cantrips.

Note you can only get 1 long rest per day. PHB:

A character can’t benefit from more than one Long Rest in a 24-hour period.

So, if you just had your long rest, and immediately got a fight after breakfast, then you can secure a location for as long as you like, but you won't get another long rest until the day has passed.

If you have a smart DM, then you'll feel some form of time-pressure, which means that the short rest is your only option at that moment.

Recovery of short rest resources as an action, proficiency bonus times per day (maybe half prof bonus for warlocks,) was discussed in another thread I think.
I don't think that there would be many issues: Taking an entire action in the middle of a fight is a reasonable penalty and means that people are going to prefer to do this out of combat anyway.
The one thing that might have additional considerations is that if you allow full use of HD then taking this recovery action is going to be much more powerful than actually casting a healing spell in that action.

Horwath

Legend
Recovery of short rest resources as an action, proficiency bonus times per day (maybe half prof bonus for warlocks,) was discussed in another thread I think.
I don't think that there would be many issues: Taking an entire action in the middle of a fight is a reasonable penalty and means that people are going to prefer to do this out of combat anyway.
The one thing that might have additional considerations is that if you allow full use of HD then taking this recovery action is going to be much more powerful than actually casting a healing spell in that action.
you are still limited by your daily amount of HDs, so it should not be a problem.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd make it closer to 4e Healing Surge/Second Wind:

Breather: 1 Action, a maximum of 1/2/3 (fullcaster/half-caster/martial) + Con mod per long rest.
You recover all features based on a short rest and you can spend up to your PB Healing Dice to recover hit points, adding your Con mod after each roll.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Based on the recent books, I think it's pretty clear that the short rest is going away in 2024. Short rest abilities will become proficiency bonus per long rest abilities.

Stuff that recovers on a short rest (ki points, warlock spell slots, action surge, hit points by spending hit dice, etc) will indeed get a "Recovery". Like, a warlock will be able to regain all their spell slots a number of times per day equal to proficiency bonus. Any PC will be able to spend hit dice to recover hit points. However, this Recovery I think will take 1 minute to use, thus effectively preventing it from being used in combat.

Horwath

Legend
Based on the recent books, I think it's pretty clear that the short rest is going away in 2024. Short rest abilities will become proficiency bonus per long rest abilities.

Stuff that recovers on a short rest (ki points, warlock spell slots, action surge, hit points by spending hit dice, etc) will indeed get a "Recovery". Like, a warlock will be able to regain all their spell slots a number of times per day equal to proficiency bonus. Any PC will be able to spend hit dice to recover hit points. However, this Recovery I think will take 1 minute to use, thus effectively preventing it from being used in combat.
That can work too, anything but 1hr "short" rest.

Quartz

Hero
I'd rather give all Long Rest classes recoveries on Short Rests with extended recovery on a Long Rest. Basing everything around Short Rest helps prevent the 5 minute workday.

Remove ads