D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

babinro

First Post
For me, 4e is far and away the best experience I've had with D&D.

The rules focus on fun combat and positioning while expanding on the RP elements layed out by prior editions.

Don't get me wrong, I wish a huge number of elements in 4e would change. The game is largely broken in design because of math problems but it still runs way better than my other tabletop experiences.

Gort

Explorer
4e isn't perfect, but dear god, DMing 4e at high levels was an absolute breeze compared to earlier editions. Actual class balance! Enemies I can use straight out of the book! Woo!

Wormwood

Adventurer
This. A million times, this. The monster design and the ability of a DM to gauge monster threat is so much better than it has been in any previous edition. And the amount of work to make encounters is far less!
There is something so wonderful about running level 30+ monsters---actual gods and demigods---who are completely playable right off their (half-page) stat-blocks.

That's something I've *never* been able to do in D&D before.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'm not one to love any game system; not in my make up. However, I can tell you one thing that I loved the heck out of on 4E:

For the first time since high school, back in the early 80's, hauling my 1E books around, I actually had fun sitting down and writing a whole adventure on grid paper and a notebook, with a pencil. (And it was the same type of Pentel, fine lead, size 7 that I used then. :D) The players enjoyed that adventure, too.

Easy, good prep is great. Fun prep is priceless.

wrecan

First Post
I agree with jerome. The best part of 4e is the ease of designing encounters. Now instead of spending half my prep time statting monsters, I spend half my prep time coming up with great plot twists and double-reversals. My players enjoy the change as well.

EnigmaRamus

First Post
I love 4E, deeply. I am new (about 7 months) to D&D. When I first started I was warned that I might not like the newest edition and that I should look into it and the others a bit before investing, and was told about PF as well. I read some Amazon reviews and read around various spots on the web and became convinced that 4E sucked. I got the PF Core book, and the 83 Mentzer Red Box... spent a couple of months with those, did a little BECMI playing, thought it was the game for me, then was advised that 4E wasn't the steaming pile of crap that parts of the internet would make you think it is.

Long, complex story short, I now have all of Essentials and a big ol pile of Core books and am beyond satisfied. After looking into 1st AD&D, BECMI, PF and other clones, I'm convinced that 4E is the absolute best version of D&D for me and I am extremely grateful for its existence... wouldn't want to imagine D&D without it. 4E saves and heals!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I love 4E, deeply. I am new (about 7 months) to D&D. When I first started I was warned that I might not like the newest edition and that I should look into it and the others a bit before investing, and was told about PF as well. I read some Amazon reviews and read around various spots on the web and became convinced that 4E sucked. I got the PF Core book, and the 83 Mentzer Red Box... spent a couple of months with those, did a little BECMI playing, thought it was the game for me, then was advised that 4E wasn't the steaming pile of crap that parts of the internet would make you think it is.

Long, complex story short, I now have all of Essentials and a big ol pile of Core books and am beyond satisfied. After looking into 1st AD&D, BECMI, PF and other clones, I'm convinced that 4E is the absolute best version of D&D for me and I am extremely grateful for its existence... wouldn't want to imagine D&D without it. 4E saves and heals!

Awesome! :)

Since I grew up playing D&D and have gone through all the editions before ending up at 4e and loving it, its hard for me to imagine what it must be like for a new gamer who never grew up with the game. Especially in a world with MMO's and videogames. Something that wasn't as big a factor when I was a kid in the 80's.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences of trying out the different editions and what really drew you to 4e.

EnigmaRamus

First Post
I'd love to hear more about your experiences of trying out the different editions and what really drew you to 4e.

I gave look overs of books from all of the mentioned editions, especially BECMI, which was my original favorite choice (bought a Rules Cyclopedia as well, which I've since sold for what I had in it, $50... it was mint too). I actually played a few games of BECMI and enjoyed it, but really didn't like the limitations on some classes at early levels, nor the lack of limit on them later on.

PF Core Rulebook I just read, and read, and read, and read, and read and... I felt like I would never be able to master that to the level I would like in a reasonable time frame, and also knew that my son (presently 10) wouldn't want to have to read such a vast amount of complex info to learn it for not only playing our games, but ultimately DMing for his friends.

4E... loved that the classes were each more capable starting out, and none seemed to rule the roost at later levels. Loved the relatively simple, and sensible rules. Loved that I could more easily grasp how to create adventures / encounters with the levels and creatures and whatnot. I could definitely see my son being able to handle this. Loved the monster tokens... totally solved the issue of not having any kind of budget for minis. Loved that I could get the Essentials books and kits, plus a battle grid, for about $130 and have everything we needed to go from then on, with anything else being supplemental that's awesome, but not necessary to have... though I spent every $ of Christmas money on Core hardcovers... just wanted it to satisfy curiosity and round out some fluff and settings.

Remove ads