Revised Ranger update

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I can play the same game, the number of people playing a class doesn't mean it's balanced, someone not having trouble doesn't mean it is balanced, people saying it is balanced doesn't mean it is balanced.
There is no evidence of it being balanced, as you are so eager to ask for evidence why don't you offer some evidence?

Yes there is. They did a lengthy extensive playtest to measure balance, tested it internally, then with a smaller paid consultant group of third party objective creators from a wide array of experience, then with with many surveys both to a smaller professional group of playtesters, then to a much larger audience in the largest public playtest of any RPG ever, and got as much data as any company has ever gotten to measure balance perspectives on the class. It came out balanced.

Once you get that, the burden is on those claiming it's not balanced to provide any evidence that is the case. We've seen none. We're 5 years in, the class is no longer ranking at the bottom for popularity like it used to, and complaints about it have decreased rather than increased, and people are asserting some balance issues and acting like that needs no support other than just asserting it? Nope. You have issues with the class, I get that. But you want to claim a balance issue with the class after this long? You will need a lot more than just making that claim.

Last edited:

Asgorath

Explorer
Two points on this.

1) How intelligent is an Intelligent creature? A flying snake has an intelligence of 2, while the stupidest mindless undead creature (the zombie) has an intelligence of 3, higher than the animal. In fact, most animals after a quick skimming, have an intelligence of 2 or 3. So, if we need to bring intelligence per the rules into this, that actually hurts both of our cases.

2) the bolded part, that is exactly how it currently works. You must order the beast to move. You must order the beast to attack. So, an errata that changes it to say that you don't have to keep ordering to to attack would still require that you order it to move. So, the errata, to make logical sense, would mean that once you order it to "kill everyone not in the pack" you would neither have to command it to move or to attack. And by that point, why not just remove the requirement that it takes you action to command the beast? Because, effectively it becomes the action "Activate Beast Companion" which then does not require further input and people would wonder about standing orders and the fact that you can train dogs at least to "Attack when I give this signal" which could be a non-action manuever. After all, how long does a command last for the beast if they just follow it after it was given?

This is why I feel like you will be disappointed by any errata. The fix you mention, if taken as RAW, creates a mess that simply rewriting the rule does not.

Right, we'll just have to wait and see what the errata says, but Jeremy Crawford has indicated that they were able to fix a number of issues with the class/subclass via the errata process and that seems to be the most logical change they could make. Personally, I have never wanted to play a Beast Master, and am very happy with my current Wood Elf Gloom Stalker with Sharpshooter. I feel perfectly content with my damage output during combat, and am more than able to participate in the non-combat portions of our game. Thus, I'm not particularly interested in whatever fix for the Beast Master they come up with, and am likely to not be disappointed as a result (either way).

Would I like the Revised Ranger's Favored Enemy? Sure. Would I like getting a bonus action Hide at a lower level? Sure. However, there's more to the game than combat and as I said, I'm doing more than enough damage in our group anyway.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
Traditionally, 1 intelligence was attributed to purely instinctive creatures like insects, 2 most animals, 3 to more intelligent animals like dogs, monkeys, and crows, and 4 to the most intelligent animals like great apes and whales, if that helps.

We are all aware of examples of trained animals in real life. Rangers can just take that to a new level. It makes complete sense that the beast acts in its own defence if attacked (even if that is just dodging or withdrawing), or that continues to follow the ranger's last instructions until it no longer makes sense for it to do so. This might include being bloodied or the death of the target. At that point the ranger has to use their action to strengthen the Beast's resolve or change targets. An overly mechanical approach seems silly.

A beast takes no actions unless the ranger uses their own action to command them. Once commanded, they continue to act until it is no longer appropriate to do so. Seems a simple fix even if it's a small one.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Traditionally, 1 intelligence was attributed to purely instinctive creatures like insects, 2 most animals, 3 to more intelligent animals like dogs, monkeys, and crows, and 4 to the most intelligent animals like great apes and whales, if that helps.

We are all aware of examples of trained animals in real life. Rangers can just take that to a new level. It makes complete sense that the beast acts in its own defence if attacked (even if that is just dodging or withdrawing), or that continues to follow the ranger's last instructions until it no longer makes sense for it to do so. This might include being bloodied or the death of the target. At that point the ranger has to use their action to strengthen the Beast's resolve or change targets. An overly mechanical approach seems silly.

A beast takes no actions unless the ranger uses their own action to command them. Once commanded, they continue to act until it is no longer appropriate to do so. Seems a simple fix even if it's a small one.

Seems simple, but causes a host of problems with the current RAW, and doesn't address the bigger disconnect.

You mention examples of trained animals? Picture a K-9 unit, perp starts running and cops order their dog to chase and take down the perp. How do they do it? A single word or a whistle, both of which fall under 5e's rules for "non-actions" in combat. Even if it is as much as a sentence, still a non-action.

So, if Ranger's "Take it to the next level" why does it take a full six second action of doing something (miming it for them?) to command the beast when a well-trained guard dog responds with a single word?

And the traditional listing of intelligence doesn't seem terrible useful in 5e. We've got Snakes and frogs at 1, both of which I would say are more that "purely instinctive" since both are hunters. Octopuses and whales are sitting at 3 despite being incredibly intelligent, and Apes have an intelligence of 6.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That is not how it works. You need to show that something needs an overhaul. It is wasted time to prove that something has to stay as is. The work hypothesis should be everything is ok if it does not interrupt the game. Otherwise you don't get anywhere.

I agree with this, however, don't you think we've shown plenty of evidence (at the very least) that the RAW Beastmaster needs to be overhauled? We've done a lot of arguing towards that point, but most of the rebuttals have been "no it's fine" or "fixes" which will constrain the Ranger's choices and builds even further if they wish to actually be effective, which I feel are not good fixes.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Personally, I have never wanted to play a Beast Master, and am very happy with my current Wood Elf Gloom Stalker with Sharpshooter. I feel perfectly content with my damage output during combat, and am more than able to participate in the non-combat portions of our game. Thus, I'm not particularly interesting in whatever fix for the Beast Master they come up with, and am likely to not be disappointed as a result (either way).

Dirty little secret?

I don't have a lot of interest in playing a Beastmaster either. I'm not into pet mechanics or pet stories as a player. I've been having a lot more fun playing clerics, paladins (Everyone in this online group was saying it was pointless to take a paladin higher than 6th level, so I wanted to solo level a paladin), fighters and barbarians.

But, I'm the GM for another group of people, and they love Pet stories and Pet Mechanics. So, I want to make sure I have the best possible class for them to enjoy, so these fixes are important for me to pay attention to.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Well, you asked why I found the melee ranger bad, the general class features are part of the melee ranger and a great reason of why I don't like the class, lots of features wasted to make the class better in some specific circumstances.

We don't use feats and they are optional, practically on 1/3 hits hunter's mark will go down without a feat. If you use them and want damage the best feats are GWF, Polearm master and sharpshooter and other classes can have hex, the gap with other classes will be bigger. I also find a bit disgusting that you need that one spell to try to keep up with other classes, if it is so important they should have designed the class better.

1d8 is good, but beyond the second attack that's all the extra reliable damage you get till you reach level 20. At that level other classes have some good powers, monk can have two more unarmed attacks, the berserker another attack, the battlemaster has his maneuvers, the paladin can make his weapon magical with +CHA to hit, or have advantage against one enemy, etc.

At level 11 a champion will have 3 attacks which can be also used at range, more initiative, general durability, better saves, action surge, etc, that makes him far better at combat. The melee ranger will be better tracking under some circumstances, moving over some plants and camouflaging, I don't find this very interesting. A barbarian can tank and will hit more often so damage is not that different unless we go to the berserker. The warlock thanks to spells and class features can deal more damage and tank better. A monk using Ki can deal more damage or have more AC, then you have the features of each subclass.

The good thing of the hunter focused on ranged attacks is that you can use volley more reliably and it should be more difficult to lose Hunter's mark if you have space to move. That makes him good at combat but as I said I don't like the class features.

Fair points all around. I just would have assumed by the statement “melee rangers are bad” you would have had better things to say about Ranged Rangers, instead of meaning that the entire class has problems do to some weak abilities.

Which, I don’t disagree with. I’ve found through old math I did a few years ago that Rangers are definitely built more around spreading damage around than they are single targets (Conjure Barrage and Conjure Volley are huge areas, as an example) which is somewhat against the grain of DnD “best practices” which prefers to focus damage on single targets. But, I like the imagery so the more limited damage output of Hunter Rangers doesn’t bother me too much. I do want better abilities from their 1st level stuff and from Primeval awareness of course, but I feel that is a separate issue from their damage output.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Nope, none of these are "my rules". And nope, you absolutely can have an effective animal companion as an archer - you just can't have a melee fighting animal companion. You keep claiming it's "designed" to be a melee combatant. I've disagreed with you before on that, so have others, and you've made no compelling argument that is the design intent. It's designed to be able to do a number of things. It's capable of being a melee combatant, but only if you fight alongside it like the description says. You want to do something different with it and I disagree that what you want is what it was "designed" for.

I’m sorry, if this is a joke it isn’t funny.

Way back in the thread, around post #249 it seems, I had a discussion with [MENTION=6796241]OB1[/MENTION] about how the Beast Companion for the Beastmaster ranger is clearly a combat option. Every ability they get in the Beast Master subclass is geared towards combat being a big indicator.

Even if you want to argue it is not meant as a combat ability, you have to accept that Find Familiar provides every possible utility option outside of combat that the companion does, and does so better since some of those abilities, such as seeing out of the companion’s eyes, cost the Beastmaster Ranger a spell, while the familiar just does it innately.

In fact, if you consider that the Familiar can, at level 1, use what is essentially a non-action for their master (because the familiar has their own turn) to provide the Help action, it is even more powerful in that respect than your lauded use of the level 7 ability of the Beastmaster to get the Help action via use of a bonus action.

So, the Beast is clearly meant for combat purposes, because if combat was secondary to their design, they would be outshone in their primary purpose by a level 1 ritual spell, and that is even more egregious than our current situation. But, you want me to provide more examples I’ll assume, because I can’t just make statements without examples to back it up.

Want your companion to scout ahead? It can be sent ahead to scout, but you will have no idea what it is that the companion finds unless you cast beast sense or Speak with Animals, and Speak with Animals only works if the beast returns to you, and relies on a creature with a potential intelligence of 1 to relay useful information. (Familiar can scout ahead, and you can see through it’s eyes for no cost)

Perhaps you want a mount? A viable option for Halflings and Gnomes, but only halflings and gnomes, so it is a poor thing to balance an entire class around (ah kobolds and goblins as well, but we are trying to remain within the PHB, since that was when the class was written). And that is the purview of the Paladin’s Find Steed spell, which is again superior in what it was designed to do, since it gives you a telepathic link, spell sharing, increases the mount’s intelligence (giving more options since there are two types of mount rules) and doesn’t take up your turns or actions. And paladin’s get this at level 5, only two levels after the Beastmaster.

Perhaps the companion will sneak somewhere and grab a small item? Possible, though again, commands will have to be very specific, and you will need a specific companion for that, since most companion options are far too large or do not have special movement types for that to be useful. Find Familiar can do the same thing. And actually, Find Familiar does it even one better, since a familiar’s form can be changed by casting the ritual again, while an animal companion static and unadaptable.

Grabbing an item and running away? Possible, but again, something a Familiar can do just as well. Better in fact, since it won’t take the master’s actions or bonus actions to accomplish in combat.

So, we are left with combat, where all of the subclass abilities tie back to. Where you have still been unable to tell me what a companion is supposed to do before 7th level. After all, you various suggestions of “stand and dodge, become an obstacle for the enemy” or “take the help action to give allies advantage” require the companion be capable of doing those as a bonus action for them to be worthwhile. Having the ranger use their turn to give an enemy disadvantage to hit a beast that isn’t attacking but might be a body block towards the wizard…. that is highly poor tactical play.

So, they will likely be used in combat, to attack. Why attack? Because it is the most efficient use of the Ranger’s action and because most combats don’t get resolved unless the enemy is defeated. Beasts have almost zero options for defeating an enemy via paralyzation or incapacitation via spells or effects, so they will be dealing damage. And barring one or two companions with Reach (which is a melee option anyways) and one or two companions with flyby attack (which is also a melee option) they will provide that damage by getting adjacent to an enemy and attacking them. Melee combat, or specialized melee combat via the few companions with different types of skills.

And so… since I have stated all of this before, and repeatedly, how have I not shown that the design of the Beastmaster Animal Companion was made with the idea that the Beast would be a melee combatant? I mean, why else would special mention have been made of increasing the companions AC and HP, their attack rolls and damage? What purpose would there have been in the level 11 ability to have the companion attack twice? At level 3, when you get the companion and the class features that come with it, what other things are you supposed to do with your companion other than attack? Dash? A useful combat action for getting somewhere but that getting somewhere is only useful if you do something afterwards. Dodge? It would be a rare day when I saw a character be fully useful for multiple levels of play by only taking the dodge action, and the few uses of that strategy could be done equally as well or better by the ranger themselves. Help? This is the True Strike cantrip, an ability that has been rated poorly fairly universally, since losing a potential attack for a better chance of hitting with a different attack is only worthwhile if the boosted attack is far more devastating than the first. A beastmaster can hit accurately for 1d8+1d6+dex mod with the usage of a single spell, or make two attacks via dual-weilding. It may be worthwhile to spend an entire turn to gain advantage, but it is a very specific set-up and not a commonly held tactic. Disengage? Only useful for running from the enemy, or running through the enemy, and again, getting somewhere is only useful if you do something once you get there.

Attack. Attack is the only generally viable option. It is the only option that could conceivable be worth taking in most fights for four levels of play. It doesn’t require any special circumstances, any special party compositions. Even your best arguments against my claims that beasts are melee combatants require the beast to be attacking, until the Ranger is level 7.

If all this is not enough, if all of this still amounts to me not “making a compelling argument” then you must have some amazing insight that I am lacking, some key to this whole puzzle that you aren’t sharing.

You're making it about yourself and not the positions or arguments. You claimed your position had support from many others. To know that, we have to look at the claims others were making as well. Nobody else was insisting on also being an archer (though I suspect Eric V will try to claim his was) - it was just you. So either you had the support of others and your position was not exclusive to being an archer and shifted later to that, or you were wrong when you claimed you had widespread support. It's one or the other. Either you shifted your argument, or you made a false claim earlier. You can pick whichever one it was. But my focus is on the argument, not you.

Why should I have had to specify something we weren’t talking about before we were talking about it?

If we were discussing increasing the number of rituals that druids get so that their ritual caster feature felt more prominent, should I also state that I do not want them to lose all of their evocation spells in trade? Why should I make the assumption that that is where the other side will press? Until very recently you never said that your rules (because this archer discussion came about as a critique of your fighting style suggestion) were working under the assumption that the ranger could not be a ranged combatant.

And I have no problem with the Ranger being melee if that is what the player wants. My problem comes with locking out their options, because fixing the beastmaster should not come with reducing the ranger’s choices. And I feel like if your “fix” for the Ranger subclass is to reduce their potential options to your vision of what should be allowed, then it is probably not a very good fix.

But you want to reduce all of this to a binary choice. Either I was wrong or I was lying. Either the Ranger is a Beastmaster or the Ranger is using a bow. Nevermind those have nothing to do with my critique of your fighting style, nevermind that they have nothing to do with the strength of the companion. You want to reduce this argument until I have no ground left to stand upon.

Ah, but your focus is not on me right? You haven’t accused me of shifting goalposts, you haven’t accused me of not reading posts, you haven’t accused me of being a power gamer. You’ve only addressed my arguments. Except for the ones you’ve ignored (still waiting for any actually ranged beasts, 30 ft or further).

Honestly, I am getting incredibly frustrated by constantly defending myself to you, when you refuse to address my points or even acknowledge that I have been making arguments.

Yes there is. They did a lengthy extensive playtest to measure balance, tested it internally, then with a smaller paid consultant group of third party objective creators from a wide array of experience, then with with many surveys both to a smaller professional group of playtesters, then to a much larger audience in the largest public playtest of any RPG ever, and got as much data as any company has ever gotten to measure balance perspectives on the class. It came out balanced.

And was followed two years later by the company releasing a document which said, among other things, “you’ve seen us try a number of new approaches to the ranger, all aimed at addressing the class’s high levels of player dissatisfaction and its ranking as D&D’s weakest class by a significant margin” and “The planning phase goes back to our review of playtest feedback. We review data and read anecdotes on Reddit, forums, and social media.” and of course “The class’s individual features also filled the top-ten list of lowest-rated individual character features”

This coming from the company, who by the second quote, clearly did more research, more surveys, and probably got more reports from that company they hired. All showing that the Ranger needed work.

Once you get that, the burden is on those claiming it's not balanced to provide any evidence that is the case. We've seen none. We're 5 years in, the class is no longer ranking at the bottom for popularity like it used to, and complaints about it have decreased rather than increased, and people are asserting some balance issues and acting like that needs no support other than just asserting it? Nope. You have issues with the class, I get that. But you want to claim a balance issue with the class after this long? You will need a lot more than just making that claim.

And according to WoTC that is mostly due to a larger increase in the player base of millions of new players, and the release of different subclasses which work better than the PHB subclasses.

None of which means that the original complaints and the original data was wrong, and considering they never fixed the problem, does not mean that the class does not need an overhaul.

We aren’t making these calls of balance issues out of the blue. I was making calls on balance issues with the Beastmaster back in 2015. The Ranger and the Sorcerer have been my two biggest class complaints since 5e came out. The only reason I’m back to arguing it now, instead of a year ago, was that I was under the assumption that the Revised Ranger was still being worked on, that they were still pursuing the fix they said they were pursuing two years ago. Why complain about balance issues when all I’d really be complaining about is how slow they are working?

But now they’ve gone and killed the project, and JC decided to insult those of us who’ve been talking about the Ranger’s issues this entire time. So, I’m back to the arguments, retreading the same ground over and over again, and doing my best to present the evidence again and again. Which is far more than simply “making a claim” since I am backing up my assertions.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I’m sorry, if this is a joke it isn’t funny...If all this is not enough, if all of this still amounts to me not “making a compelling argument” then you must have some amazing insight that I am lacking, some key to this whole puzzle that you aren’t sharing...Honestly, I am getting incredibly frustrated by constantly defending myself to you, when you refuse to address my points or even acknowledge that I have been making arguments.

Yeah, I can tell, because you've gotten to the point of making this discussion personal. Which is where I end my part of it.

I agree with this, however, don't you think we've shown plenty of evidence (at the very least) that the RAW Beastmaster needs to be overhauled? We've done a lot of arguing towards that point, but most of the rebuttals have been "no it's fine" or "fixes" which will constrain the Ranger's choices and builds even further if they wish to actually be effective, which I feel are not good fixes.

I do think that the beastmaster ranger needs a few fixes.
I also think that minor fixes are sufficient.
Beast should continue with its assigned task until it gets a new one.
Beasts should also get hitdice in addition to hitpoints.
Deathsaves of course.

Maybe a bit more but that already helps a lot.

Remove ads