Revised Ranger update

Asgorath

Explorer
We don't use feats and they are optional, practically on 1/3 hits hunter's mark will go down without a feat. If you use them and want damage the best feats are GWF, Polearm master and sharpshooter and other classes can have hex, the gap with other classes will be bigger. I also find a bit disgusting that you need that one spell to try to keep up with other classes, if it is so important they should have designed the class better.

1d8 is good, but beyond the second attack that's all the extra reliable damage you get till you reach level 20. At that level other classes have some good powers, monk can have two more unarmed attacks, the berserker another attack, the battlemaster has his maneuvers, the paladin can make his weapon magical with +CHA to hit, or have advantage against one enemy, etc.

At level 11 a champion will have 3 attacks which can be also used at range, more initiative, general durability, better saves, action surge, etc, that makes him far better at combat. The melee ranger will be better tracking under some circumstances, moving over some plants and camouflaging, I don't find this very interesting. A barbarian can tank and will hit more often so damage is not that different unless we go to the berserker. The warlock thanks to spells and class features can deal more damage and tank better. A monk using Ki can deal more damage or have more AC, then you have the features of each subclass.

The good thing of the hunter focused on ranged attacks is that you can use volley more reliably and it should be more difficult to lose Hunter's mark if you have space to move. That makes him good at combat but as I said I don't like the class features.

Hex is okay, but it's disgusting that Rangers have to use Hunter's Mark to be competitive? I don't follow. I've never heard Monks classified as the top-tier damage dealers, but sure, everyone knows that Barbarians, Fighters and Paladins do the most single-target damage. They generally also have to be in melee to do that damage, so good luck against a flying dragon or some other creature smart enough to not engage your melee combatants.

The Gloom Stalker's has a nice level 11 ability, it lets you take a 3rd attack if one of your two regular attacks misses. Is that as good as a straight 3rd attack every turn? Nobody else but the Fighter gets that, so this seems pretty powerful.

Vanish gives you a bonus action to Hide every round, which gives advantage on one attack per turn for free (unlike the Vengeance Paladin's ability, which is once per short rest). Is that as good as Reckless Attack? Not sure about you, but I'd rather be shooting my bow from as far away as possible than being in melee.

From my perspective, there's more to the game than just combat and characters that are highly optimized for combat only often struggle to be relevant in the other parts of the game. My party doesn't have a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin and as a result my Gloom Stalker is easily the highest damage dealer on average thanks to Sharpshooter. We had a fight recently where I could stand about 300 feet back, and thanks to the fact the enemy had a light source, I had advantage on every single attack and was putting out 40+ damage per turn at level 7. The Ranger does not feel weak in combat to me. Does the Beast Master need some help? Undoubtedly. I also don't really care that a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin with GWM could out-damage me.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've never heard Monks classified as the top-tier damage dealers

I don't know if they've ever been ranked at top tier, but for a single ki (which recovers on a short rest) they can make 4 attacks at level 5. 2d8+2d6+(dex mod x 4) is fairly signifigant, and Open hand gets to knock prone or get rid of reactions when they do it.

IF it follows after a stunning strike, that means multiple critical hits in a row. I can see someone ranking Monk's high on the damage tiers with all that.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I do think that the beastmaster ranger needs a few fixes.
I also think that minor fixes are sufficient.
Beast should continue with its assigned task until it gets a new one.
Beasts should also get hitdice in addition to hitpoints.
Deathsaves of course.

Maybe a bit more but that already helps a lot.

I agree those will help quite a bit, I’d maybe increase the hp to 5 per level if we are doing just minor fixes.

But, I don’t think it should take the beastmasters action to get the beast started. Just give the beast it’s own initiative.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yeah, I can tell, because you've gotten to the point of making this discussion personal. Which is where I end my part of it.

Then this will be my last reply to you, which I only make because otherwise I will feel like I am agreeing with your assessment.

I never accused you of not reading my posts.
I never accused you of lying, or switching your argument.
I never attacked your integrity.

I never did anything accept address the weakpoints in your arguments and your changes to the rules.

You are the one who made the most personal jabs during this discussion. So, if you feel like you've accomplished what you wanted to accomplish in this discussion, then I bid you adieu, and hopefully without any hard feelings.

D

dco

That is not how it works. You need to show that something needs an overhaul. It is wasted time to prove that something has to stay as is. The work hypothesis should be everything is ok if it does not interrupt the game. Otherwise you don't get anywhere.
Look at 4e. The constant revision because some people abused rules that worked in 99 percent of all cases and only broke if you interpreted rules in a very twisted way.
Not sure about the relationship of all that with thinking if something is balanced or not.

Yes there is. They did a lengthy extensive playtest to measure balance, tested it internally, then with a smaller paid consultant group of third party objective creators from a wide array of experience, then with with many surveys both to a smaller professional group of playtesters, then to a much larger audience in the largest public playtest of any RPG ever, and got as much data as any company has ever gotten to measure balance perspectives on the class. It came out balanced.

Once you get that, the burden is on those claiming it's not balanced to provide any evidence that is the case. We've seen none. We're 5 years in, the class is no longer ranking at the bottom for popularity like it used to, and complaints about it have decreased rather than increased, and people are asserting some balance issues and acting like that needs no support other than just asserting it? Nope. You have issues with the class, I get that. But you want to claim a balance issue with the class after this long? You will need a lot more than just making that claim.
And with all that data they released the revised UA ranger and they said what they said.
Popularity doesn't mean balance.
I claim what I want, that's all, I don't need anymore we can simply agree or disagree, didn't try to convince you but I needed to correct the fallacies about the need of playing experience, popularity, no one thinking is is unbalanced, etc.

Fair points all around. I just would have assumed by the statement “melee rangers are bad” you would have had better things to say about Ranged Rangers, instead of meaning that the entire class has problems do to some weak abilities.

Which, I don’t disagree with. I’ve found through old math I did a few years ago that Rangers are definitely built more around spreading damage around than they are single targets (Conjure Barrage and Conjure Volley are huge areas, as an example) which is somewhat against the grain of DnD “best practices” which prefers to focus damage on single targets. But, I like the imagery so the more limited damage output of Hunter Rangers doesn’t bother me too much. I do want better abilities from their 1st level stuff and from Primeval awareness of course, but I feel that is a separate issue from their damage output.
Exactly. For example I prefer to use a rogue as a ranger, at level 11 the Rogue could deal 1d8+5+6d6 damage, the ranger needs to hit 3 enemies or use a spell to be comparable. Beyond combat 1 extra skill, expertise, cunning action, reliable talent, etc, makes it a better all around ranger unless you want the spells to talk to animals and things like that.
For me the biggest problem are the lvl 11 power for hunters, the need of H. Mark to keep up, the beastmaster that doesn't work very well and the general ranger class powers which are very specific and a bit weak. In my opinion the revised ranger was a waste of time, the balance turned to the other side.

Hex is okay, but it's disgusting that Rangers have to use Hunter's Mark to be competitive? I don't follow. I've never heard Monks classified as the top-tier damage dealers, but sure, everyone knows that Barbarians, Fighters and Paladins do the most single-target damage. They generally also have to be in melee to do that damage, so good luck against a flying dragon or some other creature smart enough to not engage your melee combatants.

The Gloom Stalker's has a nice level 11 ability, it lets you take a 3rd attack if one of your two regular attacks misses. Is that as good as a straight 3rd attack every turn? Nobody else but the Fighter gets that, so this seems pretty powerful.

Vanish gives you a bonus action to Hide every round, which gives advantage on one attack per turn for free (unlike the Vengeance Paladin's ability, which is once per short rest). Is that as good as Reckless Attack? Not sure about you, but I'd rather be shooting my bow from as far away as possible than being in melee.

From my perspective, there's more to the game than just combat and characters that are highly optimized for combat only often struggle to be relevant in the other parts of the game. My party doesn't have a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin and as a result my Gloom Stalker is easily the highest damage dealer on average thanks to Sharpshooter. We had a fight recently where I could stand about 300 feet back, and thanks to the fact the enemy had a light source, I had advantage on every single attack and was putting out 40+ damage per turn at level 7. The Ranger does not feel weak in combat to me. Does the Beast Master need some help? Undoubtedly. I also don't really care that a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin with GWM could out-damage me.
All can attack at range, a melee ranger without spells compared to a monk or barbarian will only do 1d8 more to that flying dragon in the case he chose colossus slayer.
I don't know what is a gloomstalker as I never buy extra books, it looks good but doesn't change the other subclasses, in any case food for thought for homebrews and works differently than an extra attack, thanks for pointing it out, will try it substituting volley and whirlwind attack.
Hide is good but you need somewhere to hide and in combat a GM that lets you hide in front of an enemy unless you have surprise. Not our group.
The things out of combat are not very good, I can be a rogue with more skills, double proficiency on them, take a 10, hide, dash and disengage as a bonus action, don't need to specialize in melee or ranged combat, better damage unless you use hunter's mark and damage focused on one enemy which is usually better. Uncanny dodge and evasion sooner, if I go arcane trickster I have access to illusions and invisibility which are better options that spending one minute camouflaging yourself, etc.

Pauln6

Hero
Seems simple, but causes a host of problems with the current RAW, and doesn't address the bigger disconnect.

You mention examples of trained animals? Picture a K-9 unit, perp starts running and cops order their dog to chase and take down the perp. How do they do it? A single word or a whistle, both of which fall under 5e's rules for "non-actions" in combat. Even if it is as much as a sentence, still a non-action.

So, if Ranger's "Take it to the next level" why does it take a full six second action of doing something (miming it for them?) to command the beast when a well-trained guard dog responds with a single word?

And the traditional listing of intelligence doesn't seem terrible useful in 5e. We've got Snakes and frogs at 1, both of which I would say are more that "purely instinctive" since both are hunters. Octopuses and whales are sitting at 3 despite being incredibly intelligent, and Apes have an intelligence of 6.

Oh yeah I agree that they failed to stick to the simple formula in 5e. I don't worry about it too much. In my head, the old scores still apply, although given our improved understanding of animal intelligence, I might be more inclined to stretch the range out to 5 for the smarter animals.

Some of the logic of the beastmaster is down to balance. If level 3 is the new level one then that could be why it takes more effort to get the beast to do as it's told at lower levels. ;-)

I do think some more feat and spell support for beastmasters would be nice too though.

Asgorath

Explorer
I don't know if they've ever been ranked at top tier, but for a single ki (which recovers on a short rest) they can make 4 attacks at level 5. 2d8+2d6+(dex mod x 4) is fairly signifigant, and Open hand gets to knock prone or get rid of reactions when they do it.

IF it follows after a stunning strike, that means multiple critical hits in a row. I can see someone ranking Monk's high on the damage tiers with all that.

Or, as a Gloom Stalker with Sharpshooter fighting in the dark, you can stand far enough back that you have advantage on every single attack and get 4d8+30+(dex mod * 3) on the first round and then 2d8+20+(dex mod * 2) on all subsequent rounds. That seems pretty solid, especially since you're invisible to all enemy attackers who are relying on darkvision to see you.

Asgorath

Explorer
All can attack at range, a melee ranger without spells compared to a monk or barbarian will only do 1d8 more to that flying dragon in the case he chose colossus slayer.
I don't know what is a gloomstalker as I never buy extra books, it looks good but doesn't change the other subclasses, in any case food for thought for homebrews and works differently than an extra attack, thanks for pointing it out, will try it substituting volley and whirlwind attack.
Hide is good but you need somewhere to hide and in combat a GM that lets you hide in front of an enemy unless you have surprise. Not our group.
The things out of combat are not very good, I can be a rogue with more skills, double proficiency on them, take a 10, hide, dash and disengage as a bonus action, don't need to specialize in melee or ranged combat, better damage unless you use hunter's mark and damage focused on one enemy which is usually better. Uncanny dodge and evasion sooner, if I go arcane trickster I have access to illusions and invisibility which are better options that spending one minute camouflaging yourself, etc.

There are ranged Barbarian and Paladin builds that do top-tier damage? I wasn't aware of that. Melee Rangers may very well be behind the strongest of the melee classes/subclasses, but that seems to be true of all dual-wielding variants. However, at range, Rangers seem quite solid, even if we're not considering the XGtE subclasses. Speaking of that, if you're not prepared to use the new subclasses that WOTC have designed after the initial feedback that the Ranger might be on the weaker end of the spectrum, I don't know what to tell you. The Gloom Stalker is pretty great, I'd probably argue it's bordering on overpowered if you're fighting in the dark all the time, but even outside of that it's extremely strong.

Hiding is actually quite easy. Just find a place with some cover, and then bonus action Hide behind it. Do all your fights take place on a mile-wide paved square or something? Surely there's a corner or alcove or wall or some other obstacle that you can duck behind and get full cover, then use your bonus action to actually Hide. I DM for a game with a Rogue who does this all the time. Wood Elves can even take the Hide action if they are only lightly obscured by natural things such as fog or foliage etc, which means you don't even need to be behind total cover. If your DM isn't letting you do that, then that's a problem you and your DM need to resolve.

Yes, you can build a skill monkey class to be "better" at out-of-combat things than a Ranger, my point was that they'd still be way better than a Polearm Master/GWM Vengeance Paladin who can do nothing but fight. Same can be said for any super-optimized-for-combat character. Will that character do well in combat? Absolutely. Will they be able to participate in out-of-combat activities as much? Probably not. As I get older and the more I play 5E, the less interested I become in treating D&D like a video game RPG and focusing on nothing but combat. As I said, would I be happy if my Ranger had the Revised Ranger's Favoured Enemy or Vanish at level 6? Of course. However, I'm really enjoying the Gloom Stalker subclass and am finding myself more than able to keep up with the rest of my party during combat.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
To sorta stop this derail:
Monks are top-tier early game damage dealers, where Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows gives them unprecedented numbers of attacks, but as gameplay progresses they drift more towards controlling the board with judicious use of Stunning Strike.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Or, as a Gloom Stalker with Sharpshooter fighting in the dark, you can stand far enough back that you have advantage on every single attack and get 4d8+30+(dex mod * 3) on the first round and then 2d8+20+(dex mod * 2) on all subsequent rounds. That seems pretty solid, especially since you're invisible to all enemy attackers who are relying on darkvision to see you.

Yeah, but that only works in the dark, if all the lightsource is far enough away from you.

In a brightly lit room, or even a place with simply dim lighting you don't get the advantage and you aren't invisible.

Not saying Gloomstalker isn't tons of fun, but when you rely on the environment to be in your favor you have to also look at the other side. A Hunter with Sharpshooter in daylight can get 3d8+20+(dex mod * 2) on every turn after all, and that's still solid, even if in the Gloomstalker's preferred setting they can outperform the Hunter.

Remove ads