Richard Baker on Orcus and Deity Slaying

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Oh Lady of Pain one of the most kick-ass characters ever in D&D. I am looking forward to seeing how they fit her and Sigil into 4e.

I suspect/hope they keep her in-particular un-stated for just the reasons you said above.

Yeah part of her power comes from simply refusing to allow gods within Sigil. I think the second most powerful person/thing in Sigil is the one wizard or necromancer (forgot his name) with all the skulls and true-names (forgot his name funny enough).

dm4hire

Explorer
She was all powerful, but to maintain the peace in Sigil she couldn't be worshiped or it would break the truce that allowed for all alignments to mingle there in peace. Anyone caught trying to worship her was either killed or banished into the maze. It was noted that she did fight a god or two in the initial fight for Sigil, but they never really got into it. Helped keep the mystery going.

She'd have Orcus toeing the line, going "Yes ma'am."

Fallen Seraph

First Post
dm4hire said:
She'd have Orcus toeing the line, going "Yes ma'am."

Hehe, just got a mental image of her hovering through the streets of Sigil, and having Orcus walk behind her, with head down, sniffling like a little kid.

skullking

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Hehe, just got a mental image of her hovering through the streets of Sigil, and having Orcus walk behind her, with head down, sniffling like a little kid.

Until he butts her in the ass!

AZRogue

First Post
That's strange. I must have really misread something when I first got the original boxed set, then (which I no longer have, more's the pity). I remember basing an entire campaign around the Lady of Pain sending agents out across the planes because she was, effectively, powerless, helpless, and a big target if she left Sigil itself. So she worked through proxies.

This was a while back, and my only Planescape campaign, though, so I'm sure it's just my memory.

dm4hire

Explorer
Yeah she basically walked in and smacked everyone around and said this is how it was going to be. I think the biggest reason she couldn't leave Sigil was she'd made so many enemies by doing that, that if she left they would all attack her. So as long as no one worshiped her under the agreement no god could come into Sigil keeping her safe, but at the same time trapping her within the city. She is the ultimate being of neutrality with a really really, I mean really big ruler she can smack you with.

AZRogue

First Post
dm4hire said:
Yeah she basically walked in and smacked everyone around and said this is how it was going to be. I think the biggest reason she couldn't leave Sigil was she'd made so many enemies by doing that, that if she left they would all attack her. So as long as no one worshiped her under the agreement no god could come into Sigil keeping her safe, but at the same time trapping her within the city. She is the ultimate being of neutrality with a really really, I mean really big ruler she can smack you with.

I think I must have misunderstood the reasoning behind her being trapped in Sigil, then, as that makes sense. I remember her use of proxies and that was the defining factor of the campaign; that and the Doors, of which the PCs came across a listing of several on their home plane though they didn't at first realize their significance. Either way, it was a very long, and very fun campaign that was a blast to run. We went with a FR campaign after that one to get back to some basics and that's when 3E came out and so never got the chance to revisit, really. If a 4E Planescape book came out, I would use it in a second.

And now back to your regularly scheduled, on topic, thread. :)

dm4hire

Explorer
I agree with Planescape, it was my all time favorite. December is the Manual of the Planes and I'm hoping it is covered. Sigil would fit in nicely with the Points of Light theme and to be honest marketing wise it is about time for Planescape to come back. Most settings outside of Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance only go for about two years or so. Plus Planescape would fit nicely for epic and beyond to which the Lady of Pain would be a great way to keep the party in control, especially if they leave her statless.

I can see the party now when receiving their orders from one of the proxies. "The Lady wants us to kick who out of Sigil? Um, won't that make him mad at us?"

"That's your problem, not hers. Unless..... you want it to be her problem?"

"Right, well let's get to it then."

Last edited:

Remove ads