D&D 5E Rules you ignore

Neither Chromatic Orb nor Identify consumes the spell component RAW.

I waive regular material components, encumbrance, arrows, rations and tons of other bookkeeping, but for me, it aint D&D if you don't have to slurp down a bowl of wine, wave an owl feather and snort 100gp of ground pearl to Identify something. The party's NPC mage admitted he was just pocketing the pearl to use for booze/wenches later, but what you gonna do. They've had a good racket going for 5 editions and arent going to stop now!

koga305

First Post
Neither Chromatic Orb nor Identify consumes the spell component RAW.

Identify
doesn't say, "The material component is consumed." An example of such a spell would be Heroes' Feast.
I got that - it's just a pain to have my players go through their spells, figure out which ones need material components, and figure out where to get them (in my world it's not super common to have stores that sell 100 gp pearls and whatnot). And the 50 GP cost to cast chromatic orb basically locks that spell away from a starting character.

And the 50 GP cost to cast chromatic orb basically locks that spell away from a starting character.
Funny you mention that...

I literally just made a starting Wizard to start playing in a Storm King's Thunder campaign and the DM waved the cost of the diamond. So I have a diamond tipped wand as a starting Wizard. LOL!

TBH, I'd do the same for any Wizard who chose a spell, like Identify, at start.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I got that - it's just a pain to have my players go through their spells, figure out which ones need material components, and figure out where to get them (in my world it's not super common to have stores that sell 100 gp pearls and whatnot). And the 50 GP cost to cast chromatic orb basically locks that spell away from a starting character.

Of course there's also the absurdity that you could go into literally any shop that sells pearls, and offer 100gp for their smallest one, and you've fulfilled the requirement...

Harzel

Adventurer
Of course there's also the absurdity that you could go into literally any shop that sells pearls, and offer 100gp for their smallest one, and you've fulfilled the requirement...

Hmm. Maybe. It says a pearl worth at least 100g.p. Depends on how you interpret "worth", (e.g., to whom?)

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Another rule i often ignore is when i let monsters use grappling or shoving with Multiattack action even though they aren't using the Attack action per se.

pdzoch

Explorer
Almost any rule that requires in game bookkeeping tends to be ignored (or forgotten): such as encumbrance, ammo, most spell components, etc. If the answer can not be resolved with a quick die role or yes/no answer, then it tends to fall into DM ruling on the fly to keep the story moving. Routine activities are all assumed to have occurred, such as eating during the day, maintaining appearance, dressing appropriately for the weather (and getting in out of the storm), adhering to character ideals (pray, practice professions, etc) etc.

Only when there is an unusual challenge, a plot requirement, or significant cost or repercussion do the bookkeeping/rules checking become part of the game play, but I have usually prepared for it ahead of time and the adventure provides plenty of clues that it will be an issue. Such as a known heavy box to deliver is expected to have an impact on encumbrance, even if the overly stuffed backpack the halfling wizard is carrying is winked at.

Between adventures, the bookkeeping falls back into play -- bills are paid, money is spent, etc. but time tends to be driven more by plot requirements than time values of administrative between adventure costs (which is why training time is generally ignored).

I tried several mechanism to better manage the bookkeeping in the game, mostly ammo, money and other resources. But it was still too easy to lose track as those resources shifted and shared so often. More than once has a potion been double drank during an adventure.

All in all, it works to the advantage of the players, but not to the detriment of the game or story. After all, they are the heroes.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Keep forgetting to give out Inspiration for cool things. I've told the table to point out and endorse others for it. Plus I'm starting a house rule that a roll off ( highest result wins) gets to start the evening with Inspiration. Encumberance is largely ignored, except for awkward/odd sized items, or really low strength characters. I use the modified crit damage they used on the Penny-Arcade/Pax streams. (Max Damage + die roll) I'm thinking of giving the Frenzy Barbarian the ability to burn off an Exhaustion during a short 1 hour rest at about lvl 5.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The rules I ignore all have one coherent theme to them: they involve the tracking of minutia that is tedious and, apart from in certain circumstances, is largely irrelevant. The big ones are. . .

Encumbrance
Tracking ammunition
Tracking food and water

Remove ads