D&D 5E Rules you ignore

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
That said, I don't give out tons of inspiration, everyone gets 1 at the start of the session, and I award a couple more throughout the game.
I've played in about fifty 5E games with 3 DM's and this is more Inspiration than I've ever seen given out in a game.

Also, I tend to ignore the rule I can't remember. I forget which rule it is.

delericho

Legend
Keep forgetting to give out Inspiration for cool things.

Yeah, I've given up on Inspiration. Instead, everyone gets it at the start of the session, and that's it - there's no mechanism for getting it back.

(That said, that assumes our 'standard' 3-hour sessions. We occasionally have longer 6-hour sessions, though we haven't used 5e for those yet. If we did, I would give everyone two Inspiration tokens to use at any time during the session.)

Iry

Hero
Encumbrance: You can carry whatever seems reasonable for a person of your strength score. I only start to pay attention when you are carrying around a small shop on your back. This adds no fun to my games.

Equipment: You have whatever inexpensive mundane items make sense for your character. If that means you announce your cleric has a spare set of common robes? Okay! If that means your ranger keeps animal droppings... uh... okay?

I balance my checkbook in real life. I don't do it in my escapist fantasies.

Of course there's also the absurdity that you could go into literally any shop that sells pearls, and offer 100gp for their smallest one, and you've fulfilled the requirement...
Better yet, buy a small pearl for 5gp, sell it to a party member for 100gp and then buy it back from him for the same amount. The pearl must clearly be "worth" 100 gp since that was the last price that was paid for it, right?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Man, the unwritten rules are so good, but they're so hard to teach to new players.
Some come to the table already knowing the important ones, like 'don't be a jerk.' ;)

Now, that one can be tough to teach to experienced players...

(in my world it's not super common to have stores that sell 100 gp pearls and whatnot).
Imagine being the magic-supply retailer stuck with a consignment of 99gp pearls...

Thanerak

First Post
I allow drawing a weapon as part of an attack so fighters can throw their full attacks
combined with the free object interaction this allows weapon switching or attack drawing first weapon free draw to allow duel wielding.
I treat dropping as a non action.

and I forget to count occupied spaces as difficult terrain

Remove ads