D&D 5E Rules you ignore

Arial Black

Adventurer
When I run a game, every PC starts each session with a point of inspiration.

They are only allowed to use it if they can tag one of their personality traits, ideal, bond or flaw.

They can only get another (apart from when we start the next session) by tagging one of those traits, and saying how acting in accordance with the tagged trait caused a real disadvantage.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
When I run a game, every PC starts each session with a point of inspiration.

They are only allowed to use it if they can tag one of their personality traits, ideal, bond or flaw.

They can only get another (apart from when we start the next session) by tagging one of those traits, and saying how acting in accordance with the tagged trait caused a real disadvantage.

I'm trying that approach too. Even made sexy inspiration cards but they still don't seem to use them well. They want to use it when a roll goes badly which I think is against the spirit of the thing.

MiraMels

Explorer
I'm trying that approach too. Even made sexy inspiration cards but they still don't seem to use them well. They want to use it when a roll goes badly which I think is against the spirit of the thing.

It's against the letter of the rule as well. Rules-as-written, you can't spend inspiration for a re-roll. You have to spend it BEFORE you roll to gain advantage.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
It's against the letter of the rule as well. Rules-as-written, you can't spend inspiration for a re-roll. You have to spend it BEFORE you roll to gain advantage.
It's a rule i ignore too since i let them re-roll any d20 roll so it doesn't interfere with rolls that already benefit from advantage.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
I always forget to give characters with darkvision disadvantage on their perception checks when they are moving through a region of darkness without a light source (darkness should be treated as dim light, which imposes disadvantage on perception checks). Consistently forgetting to do something is the same as ignoring it, I suppose.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Another rule i frequently ignore is the cleric or paladin's inability to cast Somatic-only spells while welding a weapon and shield bearing his holy symbol.

@DBassJon can a Cleric or Paladin cast spells requiring somatic components when wielding weapon + shield emblazoned with holy symbol?
@JeremyECrawford I'd say yes if the holy symbol is being used as the material component of the spell, so yes if "S, M," but no if only "S."

Satyrn

First Post
Another rule i frequently ignore is the cleric or paladin's inability to cast Somatic-only spells while welding a weapon and shield bearing his holy symbol.

@DBassJon can a Cleric or Paladin cast spells requiring somatic components when wielding weapon + shield emblazoned with holy symbol?
@JeremyECrawford I'd say yes if the holy symbol is being used as the material component of the spell, so yes if "S, M," but no if only "S."
heh. I ignore everyone's inability to do so while using a weapon and shield.

• Expensive material components for spells - I've never seen a character abuse a spell like identify or chromatic orb so I see no reason to require material components. Most clerics in my main campaign can't cast revivify or raise dead so that's not an issue.

Neither Chromatic Orb nor Identify consumes the spell component RAW.

Player's Handbook page 203 said:
If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell.

Identify
doesn't say, "The material component is consumed." An example of such a spell would be Heroes' Feast.

Remove ads