D&D 5E Rune Knight Is The Best Fighter Overall IMHO.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've seen all 3* in play, so I think I have a fair understanding of what each subclass can do.

*I don't consider the echo knight because I haven't seen it in play but also because how poorly written the subclass is. It's a mess.

I'm not sure I would agree that the RK is "the best". They have a significant "bonus action traffic jam" problem, as several of their strong abilities require a bonus action to activate. For example, you are a level 10 RK and you are fighting a big boss. Well, you want the storm rune on (to give disadvantage to attacks the boss makes), you want giant might to be bigger and hit harder and you want the hill rune for damage resistance. All of these require a bonus action to activate!

however - the RK is without a doubt the best tank. The damage resistance rune only activates at level 7 but once you have that you're extremely durable. giant might makes you take more room (and thus better at blocking foes). And also, the runic powers are great to defend party members - the cloud rune, the storm rune are great, and so is Runic shield.

So in the tank role, I agree that the RK is the best. As a damage dealer, the BM is probably better.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I've seen all 3* in play, so I think I have a fair understanding of what each subclass can do.

*I don't consider the echo knight because I haven't seen it in play but also because how poorly written the subclass is. It's a mess.

I'm not sure I would agree that the RK is "the best". They have a significant "bonus action traffic jam" problem, as several of their strong abilities require a bonus action to activate. For example, you are a level 10 RK and you are fighting a big boss. Well, you want the storm rune on (to give disadvantage to attacks the boss makes), you want giant might to be bigger and hit harder and you want the hill rune for damage resistance. All of these require a bonus action to activate!

however - the RK is without a doubt the best tank. The damage resistance rune only activates at level 7 but once you have that you're extremely durable. giant might makes you take more room (and thus better at blocking foes). And also, the runic powers are great to defend party members - the cloud rune, the storm rune are great, and so is Runic shield.

So in the tank role, I agree that the RK is the best. As a damage dealer, the BM is probably better.
Which do you think is better at control? Of RK and BM I think it’s a wash in capabilities. Though in practice the RK control options don’t typically impact his damage output so he’ll probably be doing more of that.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Which do you think is better at control? Of RK and BM I think it’s a wash in capabilities. Though in practice the RK control options don’t typically impact his damage output so he’ll probably be doing more of that.
I'm not sure I know how to answer that either.

I should also note that the RK I played was, for a number of reasons, not "optimized" - he was a dex-build melee fighter, and RK works best with strength build (to take advantage of the size). However, the subclass is so strong it still worked great.

Another thing I'll note is that the RK "feels" like a great alternative to the EK as a "magical fighter" - but with the magic feeling more... suitable... for a fighter, from an RP perspective. You didn't take evening class in wizardry, you have the secrets of the giants

ECMO3

Hero

I agree about being bonus action starved, but having options is better, especially since Giants Might is limited use. I think you are generally not using both GM and Storm Rune in the same fight. Also for this reason I generally pass on the Hill Rune altogether. Hill is weaker out of combat than the other Runes and competes for your bonus action in combat.

IME a sword and board EK with defense fighting style using blur or PEG (potentially with mirror image on top of that) with shield spell and absorb elements is the best tank available in a single class fighter. At level 10+ I think that will generally outank a RK or any Barbarian build with the same abilities (although it requires a feat to do it). I think driving your AC high will generally be a lot better than BPS damage resistance with a lower AC, especially since an EK can get damage resistance from weapons with Blade Ward and still make an attack that turn. Without warcaster it is a bit weaker, but even without a shield you can still be an amazing tank and still I think generally be better than most RK builds will be. The only single class I have seen in play that can beat the EK at tanking is a Bladesinger with upcast false life and spell selection optimized specifically for a tanking role.

The Rune Knight is powerful in combat, but so are a lot of fighter builds. What makes RK better IMO is all the out of combat stuff you get (a tool, a language and advantage on a large number of skill and/or tool checks). If you start with an odd Strength, Dex or Con, pick skills to match the runes you will get and take skill expert as your 1st feat you can compete with a Rogue or Bard as a skill monkey build, while not being behind on the ASI tree and still having the combat abilities of a fighter and then some.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My friend played a pixie (home brew race) rune knight in a small series of old dnd adventures, it was pretty fun to see because I didn't know anything about it. He used some ability to make the boss miss him and hit another nearby target, pretty sure it killed one of the boss's minions. It is definitely an interesting subclass though I only saw it up to level 4 or 5.

ECMO3

Hero

If you play with a high Constitution RK is a lot better IME. Stone Rune is more control than any 3 battlemaster maneuvers combined and it activates off turn. Fire Rune also has more control than any single Battlemaster maneuver.
These Runes are better for two reasons - first the conditions, Incapacitated and Restrained are more powerful and "controling" than any of the conditions caused by Battlemaster combat maneuvers and second because they last more than one turn.

Storm Rune is going to give you or enemies advantage/disadvantage once a round at will for a minute - this is a half of what a lot of Battlemaster maneuvers accomplish for a turn and that is without a save. For example, Menacing Attack is one of the most powerful battlemaster combat maneuvers as far as control. It causes frightened for a round on a failed save. Frightened is better than just giving an enemy disadvantage on an attack, but save or be frightened one round is not a lot better than disadvantage without a save and being able to do that once a round for a minute.

The only things the Battlemaster maneuvers have is more uses on a short rest heavy campaign and the Strength or Dex instead of Con for DC. If you are playing with a low Constitution your save DC will be low, where you could still have a high save DC on Battlemaster maneuvers.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I agree about being bonus action starved, but having options is better, especially since Giants Might is limited use. I think you are generally not using both GM and Storm Rune in the same fight. Also for this reason I generally pass on the Hill Rune altogether. Hill is weaker out of combat than the other Runes and competes for your bonus action in combat.

IME a sword and board EK with defense fighting style using blur or PEG (potentially with mirror image on top of that) with shield spell and absorb elements is the best tank available in a single class fighter. At level 10+ I think that will generally outank a RK or any Barbarian build with the same abilities (although it requires a feat to do it). I think driving your AC high will generally be a lot better than BPS damage resistance with a lower AC, especially since an EK can get damage resistance from weapons with Blade Ward and still make an attack that turn. Without warcaster it is a bit weaker, but even without a shield you can still be an amazing tank and still I think generally be better than most RK builds will be. The only single class I have seen in play that can beat the EK at tanking is a Bladesinger with upcast false life and spell selection optimized specifically for a tanking role.

The Rune Knight is powerful in combat, but so are a lot of fighter builds. What makes RK better IMO is all the out of combat stuff you get (a tool, a language and advantage on a large number of skill and/or tool checks). If you start with an odd Strength, Dex or Con, pick skills to match the runes you will get and take skill expert as your 1st feat you can compete with a Rogue or Bard as a skill monkey build, while not being behind on the ASI tree and still having the combat abilities of a fighter and then some.
I think it depends what you mean by "best tank". The EK can be more durable, yes, 100%. But the RK is better at protecting the party.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think it depends what you mean by "best tank". The EK can be more durable, yes, 100%. But the RK is better at protecting the party.
EK using booming blade also often disincentivizes 1 enemy from moving away from him.

If he took warcaster that can be 2.

Maybe I’m missing something about the RK. RK gets size and thus can better grapple if that’s your thing. Also the larger size can help block corridors and such. He’s fairly durable too. But I’m not seeing what makes him better at tanking?

Stalker0

Legend
Playing a Rune Knight "Luchador" right now and having a lot of fun with it. Amazing grapple build with the strength and size boosts and then advantage on all athletics checks.

Zardnaar

Legend
EK using booming blade also often disincentivizes 1 enemy from moving away from him.

If he took warcaster that can be 2.

Maybe I’m missing something about the RK. RK gets size and thus can better grapple if that’s your thing. Also the larger size can help block corridors and such. He’s fairly durable too. But I’m not seeing what makes him better at tanking?

One of the runes redirects tracks. Our one in CoS used it to negative an attack and redirect it into a hags sister.

Remove ads