Sage Advice 3/21/16 Exploding druids and antimagic field vs zombies and cure wounds

The answer to the druid and metal armor is excellent. Not so much the ruling itself, but the clear way it explains that classes have both story and game elements, and some classes have more story elements than others.

The answer to the druid and metal armor is excellent. Not so much the ruling itself, but the clear way it explains that classes have both story and game elements, and some classes have more story elements than others.

There is a new Sage Advice column by WotC's Jeremy Crawford up at WotC's website. It takes a look at druids wearing metal armor, casting a bonus action spell, using dispel magic to dispel a magical effect like a vampire’s Charm ability or the creations of a spell like animate dead, readying dispel magic to stop another spell from taking effect, and using a shield with mage armor.

Attachments

• dungeons_and_dragons_40_ampersand_flat.png
    dungeons_and_dragons_40_ampersand_flat.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 8,228

Al2O3

Explorer
I like the comparison of druids wearing metal armor to vegetarians eating meat. Makes it easy to understand and easy to when considering if one wants to change (either as player or as DM not caring about that part of world-building).

I like the comparison of druids wearing metal armor to vegetarians eating meat. Makes it easy to understand and easy to when considering if one wants to change (either as player or as DM not caring about that part of world-building).

The comparison is decent, but not strong enough for me. A druid's feelings toward metal armor and shields is more like the Jewish or Muslim aversion for unclean meat and pork. Much more serious consequences there than just a vegetarian eating meat.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
I prefer the simple explanation of them exploding. It opens up a campaign arc of an evil gnome who is using illusions to trick Druids into putting on metal armor only to explode. The party has to track down the gnome before all of the Druids are gone.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The comparison is decent, but not strong enough for me. A druid's feelings toward metal armor and shields is more like the Jewish or Muslim aversion for unclean meat and pork. Much more serious consequences there than just a vegetarian eating meat.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are a) not a vegetarian and b) don't know any vegetarians.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If a vegetarian hasn't eaten meat for a long time, having meat in their digestive tract is quite likely to cause an exploding vegetarian, IYKWIM.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are a) not a vegetarian and b) don't know any vegetarians.

And you may be getting too generic, as there is a big difference between an average vegetarian and a vegan. I know vegetarians and if they accidentally eat some meat, they get on with their lives like it never happened. A vegan is who you sound like you are referring to, as accidentally eating meat would probably freak them out almost to the degree that pork would to a Jew or Muslim. Vegan is much more extreme and I should have included them in my comparison as well.

feartheminotaur

First Post
I'm gonna guess that, while that is a pretty good analogy, that a multinational corporation is going to avoid anything to do with a loaded subject like religion so as to not raise the ire of paying customers that adheres to either of those faiths or competing ones as well as those that reject faith outright. Religion and Politics. In professional (technical, marketing, development) writing you are trained to avoid both.

Vegetarians? Pffft. They don't count - and they tend to have a decent sense of humor.

Remove ads

Remove ads