D&D 5E SCAG -- Worth it?

MrWildman

Explorer
I've noticed more threads and builds using SCAG content (spells & cantrips especially).
I tend to do sandbox/homebrew worlds, so the book didn't really register on my radar at first. But now I'm wondering . . . what's the consensus? Should I get the book for the cool new crunch (and the entertaining fluff, of course), or am I really not missing out on anything?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
It has some good new player options like the cantrips, Bladesingers, the dwarven berserkers, a new monk and sorcerer subclass. A few other things I might not be thinking of, like subraces (duergar and svirfneblin and half-elf and tiefling options). Even if you homebrew, the setting stuff could provoke some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MrWildman

Explorer
Dwarven Berserkers?
Okay, now I'm intrigued. Are they like, a Barbarian variant?
Also, what options could they add to Half-Elf?
Hmmm . . . maybe the book is worth a second look after all, huh?

flametitan

Explorer
I believe the subclass is called the Battlerager. It's a barb subclass built around wearing a suit of spiked armour to do extra damage.

Lanliss

Explorer
I actually have the scag, so I will give a list of new race and class options.

Dwarf subrace: Duergar
Halfling subrace: Ghostwise
Gnome subrace: Svirfneblin (Deep Gnomes)
Half Elf variants, depending on their Elvin heritage
Tiefling Variants, with various fiendish abilities

Barbarian Path: Battlerager, Dwarf only by RAW, but that can be tossed
Wear spiky armor, throw your body at your enemies. Gain temp HP while raging.

Barbarian path: totem warrior
Bonus totems, Elk and Tiger

Cleric domain:Arcana
Magic God, get arcane spells in the domain list

Fighter Archtype: Purple Dragon Knight
Been told it is Warlord-esque

Monk: Way of the long death
Necromancer murder fists, deal necrotic damage and steal temp HP

Monk: Way of the sun soul
Become super saiyan, get ranged attack that levels the same as your martial arts.

Paladin: Oath of the crown
Very kingly, with oath spells like Command and Banishment.

Rogue: Mastermind
Also warlordy, good at disguise and battlefield control.

Rogue: Swashbuckler
Good at solo combat, uses CHA a lot.

Sorcerer: Storm
Pretty much what it sounds like. Get weather and lightning abilities.

Warlock: Undying patron
Necromantic Lich patron, with necromantic spell set.

Wizard: Bladesinger, Elf only by RAW, but that can be ignored
Fightery wizard, when Bladesinging(limited number of uses) add INT to AC.

A bunch of spells that do things, mostly useful things.

Also a bunch of lore and new backgrounds.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
As [MENTION=6801219]Lanliss[/MENTION] showed, it does have good crunch. It even has a chapter on how to use it outside of the Forgotten Realms. I would consider it worth it if you are interested in adding more to your game.

Even if you aren't using the Forgotten Realms, they've provided advice on how to use most of the new character options. The character options are:

Subraces
Gray Dwarves/Duergar
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnome/Svirfneblin - You can get this for free from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion though
Half-Elf variants - Replace your two bonus skills with certain elf features depending on subrace (including drow and aquatic)
Tiefling variants - For tieflings that aren't all about Asmodeus--basically for 2e-3e tieflings

Subclasses
Battlerager (Barbarian) - Dwarf. Includes entry for new type of armor
Totem Warrior - Adds two new totems to choose from
Arcana Domain (Cleric) - Actually pretty awesome
Purple Dragon Knight (Fighter) - For non-Forgotten Realms campaigns they suggest "Banneret" as the name. Inspirational leader type.
Long Death (Monk) - Evilish/necrotic feeling monks
Sun Soul (Monk) - Goodish/radiant feeling monks
Oath of the Crown (Paladin) - Take the traditional paladin, split it in two, make one half lean more towards good (Oath of Devotion from PHB) and one half lean more towards law (that's the new Oath of the Crown).
Mastermind (Rogue) - The "social rogue." I don't mean social character that happens to be a rogue. I mean if you took a rogue and made a social type, this is that.
Swashbuckler (Rogue) - Cool concept. Some conceptual interaction problems with limited rogue weapon proficiencies, but other than that it's neat.
Storm (Sorcerer) - Coolest sorcerer in the game, IMO.
Undying (Warlock) - Patron is either immortal or undead, you have powers of life and death
Bladesinging (Wizard) - Elf or half-elf, warrior mage

Cantrips
Booming Blade - Adds to melee weapon damage and provides some control
Green-Flame Blade - Adds to melee weapon damage, and deals damage to secondary target
Lightning Lure - Lighting whip that pulls
Sword Burst - Very similar to thunderclap from EE, but different save and damage type

Backgrounds
(Backgrounds hardly count as crunch, because the rules give you explicit permission to build your own by combining any 2 skills, any two tools/language, any equipment package, and any feature--but they do give you new features to choose from, so I'm including them for completeness)
City Watch, Clan Crafter, Cloistered Scholar, Courtier, Faction Agent, Far Traveler, Inheritor, Knight of the Order, Mercenary Veteran, Urban Bounty Hunger, Uthgardt Tribe Member, Waterdhavian Noble

I got the book because I wanted that stuff. Green-flame blade itself is an essential part of my games because it allows any character to get a scaling melee attack with a feat (like ranged cantrips allow anyone to gain a scaling ranged attack). You can download that particular cantrip in a free preview they put up.

Other information that isn't specifically Forgotten Realms is the racial pantheons for Dwarves, Elves, Drow, Halflings, Gnomes, and Orcs (these are traditionally shared amongst multiple D&D worlds and settings).

Pretty much everything else in there (so 80%+) is Forgotten Realms specific. It also is specific to the 5e Forgotten Realms, so if you are playing in an earlier era (as I am) and care about continuity, you can get some value out of it, but you have to go over it with a fine toothed comb. They tried to make the 5e FR feel mostly like 2e-3e era, with a dash of 4e material, and it is set over 100 years in the future from 3e.

The book has some nice art in it.

I wanted it primarily for the crunch (even though I'm philosophically opposed to crunch bloat...). All of it is useful for non-FR D&D campaigns. You could easily drop it into Greyhawk or your homebrew world, and they even give suggestions for how at the end of the book. (The little Ghostwise halfling sidebar is the only piece of crunch that is Forgotten Realms specific.) I'd get the book just for material.

Most of the setting information is of limited usefulness to me because when I play Forgotten Realms it's set in an earlier era, but I like a lot of the material on the Forgotten Realms deities.

Hopefully that can help you decide whether it works for you.

[EDIT - I see I was beaten to the post. Well I spent a while on this so I'll leave it up anyway.]

pukunui

Legend
I'll add my voice to those saying it's worth it, even if you're not planning on running a game in the Realms. Most of the lore might be superfluous in that case, but there are a number of adventure seeds sprinkled throughout that you might find inspirational. I'd also argue that the crunchy bits are worth it on their own, though.

Remove ads