Scifi/fantasy to watch with mom

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
My mom recently moved in with me. We've been watching Lost in Space and The Book of Boba Fett together. Any genre shows that are mom friendly (mild language, no sex or nudity) you can suggest would be helpful. She has trouble with non American accents. She doesn't really care for superhero shows. We will certainly watch Strange New Worlds when it starts. I don't have Apple TV + but I have the other streaming services.

aco175

Legend
Can I ask how old you and your mom are (ish). Reason I ask is that I'm in my 40s and mom is in her 70s, so things I would feel comfortable seeing with her now is different than when I was a teen or in my 20s. Also, my mon would likely not watch any of this stuff, like my wife.

Maybe Umbrella Academy, but I think there is more strong language and lots of gore. I like the 80s songs.

Mad_Jack

Legend
How big is she into sci-fi?

Warehouse 13 is an old classic series light(ish) on the sci-fi and heavy on the comedy. The Librarians (and the three movies that spawned the series) is more action/fantasy but definitely family-friendly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My mom recently moved in with me. We've been watching Lost in Space and The Book of Boba Fett together. Any genre shows that are mom friendly (mild language, no sex or nudity) you can suggest would be helpful. She has trouble with non American accents. She doesn't really care for superhero shows. We will certainly watch Strange New Worlds when it starts. I don't have Apple TV + but I have the other streaming services.

So, there's a couple shows you might try.

Eureka - (Peacock and Amazon Prime) a generally positive show about the sheriff in a town full of mad scientists.

Leverage - (IMDb TV) not exactly sci-fi, but has a bit of high tech to support its premise. Excellent show about a crew of theives and grifters using their skills for good.

Librarians - (Hulu) There is a Library that holds magical artifacts of legend and history, to keep them from falling into the wrong hands. The Librarians are the ones who deal with the problems they cause, and bring them back for safekeeping. There's a series of made-for-TV movies starring Noah Wyle that precedes the series, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Babylon 5 - (HBOMax) Future space opera, in which the war between light and dark plays out on the galactic stage, amidst several varying alien cultures, focusing on events on the last of the Babylon Stations.

The 4400 (original, 2004, Netflix) - across US history, 4400 people are abducted, and all returned at the same time to Seattle, many of them having gained super powers. Note - this is not a typical superhero show - there's no capes, no massive battles of people who are nigh invulnerable or anything. It is more like, "Hey, I get visions of the future" and "Hey, I can heal people".

The 4400 (current, CW) - similar premise, but with a decided bent toward social justice - most of the 4400 returnees are of various minority communities. This is new, so I don't know if it'll go beyond the first season.

Ryujin

Legend
How big is she into sci-fi?

Warehouse 13 is an old classic series light(ish) on the sci-fi and heavy on the comedy. The Librarians (and the three movies that spawned the series) is more action/fantasy but definitely family-friendly.
To that I would add "Eureka", if it's streaming anywhere.

The Mandalorian is fun.

The Expanse is great, but does have belter accents occasionally.

Babylon 5 is fantastic.

Firefly is fun, but does have accents.

I can't recommend Buffy enough.

Greg K

Legend
Leverage - (IMDb TV) not exactly sci-fi, but has a bit of high tech to support its premise. Excellent show about a crew of theives and grifters using their skills for good.

Librarians - (Hulu) There is a Library that holds magical artifacts of legend and history, to keep them from falling into the wrong hands. The Librarians are the ones who deal with the problems they cause, and bring them back for safekeeping. There's a series of made-for-TV movies starring Noah Wyle that precedes the series, but it isn't strictly necessary.
Both of these are also available on the free app for Dean Devilin's ElectricNow. I know that there are apps available for Android TV and Roku TV (I don't know about others like Fire TV).

Greg K

Legend
The 4400 (original, 2004, Netflix) - across US history, 4400 people are abducted, and all returned at the same time to Seattle, many of them having gained super powers. Note - this is not a typical superhero show - there's no capes, no massive battles of people who are nigh invulnerable or anything. It is more like, "Hey, I get visions of the future" and "Hey, I can heal people".

The 4400 (current, CW) - similar premise, but with a decided bent toward social justice - most of the 4400 returnees are of various minority communities. This is new, so I don't know if it'll go beyond the first season.
If we are including 4400, then there is Manifest on Netflix. It is also about returnees of a lost flight return with an ability referred to as "Callings" which are voices or visions to perform some task. The outcome is not always what they expect (and yet they are connected).

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If we are including 4400, then there is Manifest on Netflix.

I was not impressed with Manifest, myself. Similarly, while Warehouse 13 looks like it should be right up my alley, one character is a classic form of misogynistic nozzle such that he ruins the show for me.

Greg K

Legend
I was not impressed with Manifest, myself. Similarly, while Warehouse 13 looks like it should be right up my alley, one character is a classic form of misogynistic nozzle such that he ruins the show for me.
Is it the greatest show? No, but I found it enjoyable enough to make it through both seasons and I will check out the third.

Remove ads