D&D 5E (+) Share Your Custom Warlock Patrons Here!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Originally posted this on another forum. Figure it can't hurt to post it here. The idea was, more or less, "a defensive/supportive version of Hexblade." A Sword-and-Boardlock, if you will.

Patron: The Platinum Dragon​

Level 1​

Expanded Spells
The Platinum Dragon grants you access to new spells as you level up, fitting the inspiring warriors of justice that serve him. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.
1st -- bless, heroism
2nd -- find steed, spiritual weapon
3rd -- beacon of hope, crusader's mantle
4th -- aura of life, find greater steed
5th -- commune, holy weapon

Holy Warrior
At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle. You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, when you finish a long rest you can touch one piece or suit of armor, instilling it with your patron's power. You are proficient with that armor until you finish a long rest.

Divine Challenge
Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a divine challenge on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is challenged for 1 minute. The challenge ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the challenge ends, it has the following effects:
  • The target must make a Wisdom save each turn it attempts to move further away from you than where it started. On any turn where it fails this save, it cannot willingly move in any direction that would take it further away from you, though it may move closer or remain at the same distance. A successful save allows it to move freely for that turn.
  • The target has disadvantage on melee weapon attacks and ranged weapon attacks against any target other than you. Other forms of attack are not affected.
  • If the target dies, surrenders to you, or is incapacitated, you gain temporary hit points equal to twice your warlock level plus your Charisma modifier (minimum 1 temporary hit point).

Level 6​

Retributive Shield
At 6th level, you may designate with a brief anointing ritual one friendly target as your Ward for one hour, spiritually defending them against incoming attacks. When your Ward is struck by a creature's melee attack, as long as your Ward is within 30 feet of you, as a reaction you can make one weapon attack against the creature that made the triggering attack, even if you are not adjacent to the creature. This attack deals radiant damage, and can benefit from magical effects that apply to melee weapon attacks. If the triggering creature is also affected by your Divine Challenge, it must make a Wisdom save. On a failure it is stunned until the end of its next turn. As long as the subject remains your ward, you can make a number of these attacks equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Level 10​

Dragon Breath
The Platinum Dragon grants you a breath weapon similar to his own. You may use your action to exhale a frigid breath, as though you had cast cone of cold without expending a spell slot, except that this breath deals 4d8 cold damage and 4d8 radiant damage. Once you have used this frigid breath, you cannot use it again until you have completed a long rest. Both the cold and radiant damage dealt by this breath each increase by 1d8 at level 15, and a total of 2d8 at level 20.

Level 14​

Inexorable Challenge
Starting at 14th level, you can spread your Divine Challenge from a defeated creature to another creature. When the creature challenged by your Divine Challenge dies, is incapacitated, or surrenders to you, you can apply the challenge to a different creature you can see within 30 feet of you, provided you aren't incapacitated. When you apply the challenge in this way, you don't gain temporary hit points from the death, incapacitation, or surrender of the previously challenged creature.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
MASK
The Master of Thieves, The Lord of Shadows
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Weapon: Longsword
Familiar: a tarantula
Tome: a black leather book with black pages, the words within scribed in white ink
Mask fancies himself to be the god of shadows, crime, rogues, and thievery. While he is not a god, he is nonetheless a very powerful entity worshipped by thieves, assassins, bodysnatchers, and other mortals of ill repute. He is known for his constant scheming, his cool head, and his hatred of rivals--particularly the god Olidammara. When he wishes to be seen, he appears as a thin humanoid dressed in black leather armor, wearing a black velvet mask and carrying dual longswords. He makes his presence known through the flickering movement of shadows and the sound of footsteps in empty rooms.
I love this. I’d have his book be in black ink on black paper, and you can only read it in a shadow, which means that you must put yourself between a light source and the book to read it, or sit in total darkness.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Gaia: Avatar of the Earth and Forests
Alignment: True Netural
Weapon: A Spear
Familiar: A Badger
Tome: Earth stained parchment bound between an animal hide cover, held together with thin green vines.

Expanded Spell List
1st: Ensnaring Strike, Goodberry.
2nd: Animal Messenger, Spike Growth.
3rd: Erupting Earth, Mass Healing Word.
4th: Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Stoneskin.
5th: Awaken, Insect Plague.

Patron Features
Level 1, Giant Oak's Endurance
You can spend an action to expend and recover one Hit Die +CON worth of HP, You have resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage until the start of your next turn.

Level 6, Soul of Underground Beast
You gain the ability to wildshape into a Giant Badger, (This uses the same mechanics as the druid just use warlock level instead for the duration)

Level 10, Resilience of the Mountain
While in contact with the earth you gain a +2 bonus to AC and advantage on any CON checks you make.

level 14, Earthly Attunement
You register to magic and spells as either a Person/Humanoid, a Plant(creature) or a Beast and will be affected by them accordingly(IE: Dominate Person won't work on you if you're registering as a beast but Dominate Beast will), You can alter which one you register as by default by spending a 10 minute ritual concentrating, If you are aware a spell is being cast on you you can choose to register as a person even if your default is set to be a plant or beast.

I designed most of a warlock patron but couldn't really think of something for the 10th level patron feature, if anyone has any suggestions they think might be appropriate i'm willing to hear them

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Gaia: Avatar of the Earth and Forests
Level 10, ???

I designed most of a warlock patron but couldn't really think of something for the 10th level patron feature, if anyone has any suggestions they think might be appropriate i'm willing to hear them
How about this one?

Tree Stride: you can cast the tree stride spell without using a spell slot. Once you use this ability, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
How about this one?

Tree Stride: you can cast the tree stride spell without using a spell slot. Once you use this ability, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.
Maybe, I was struggling because each of the patron features from the book feels unique in some way generally, just giving them a 1/LR spell feels underwhelming IMO.
EDIT: i was considering an AC+2 bonus and/or advantage on CON checks while in contact with the earth, what are your thoughts on that?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Maybe, I was struggling because each of the patron features from the book feels unique in some way generally, just giving them a 1/LR spell feels underwhelming IMO.
EDIT: i was considering an AC+2 bonus and/or advantage on CON checks while in contact with the earth, what are your thoughts on that?
Heh, I'm kind of the opposite...I think that Advantage or flat numerical bonuses are underwhelming. Anyone can usually get Advantage on anything just by standing next to a cleric, and numerical bonuses are just--dull. But there's nothing wrong with either of your suggestions, I don't think they will break the game or anything. If that's something your players would use and appreciate, you should do it!

For my nickel, I'd rather have a cool magic trick or signature move that no other warlock could do...something to help set them apart from the rest. Tree Stride was just the first thing that came to mind. If your players wouldn't be impressed with that, how about the ability to summon swarm of insects?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Stars

The level 1 feature is under review, it might change to a blade of starlight

Level 6 is a short teleport that burns everything in a line from your starting to ending position with radiant damage on a failed save.

Level 14 you show someone the dread knowledge that has been shown to you. All of it. All at once. Big psychic damage, stunned, or half damage and no stun. We thought about exposing a creature to the void, dealing cold and necrotic damage, but this is more fun.

I don't recall the spells off-hand.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My 4e Star'lock's patron existed along the border between astronomy and astrology - not the Far Realm. He could use physical stuff (suck you into Jupiter's Great Red Spot) or bring a constellation to life and apply status conditions (the Dragon frightens you).

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I noticed there wasn't a thread for home-brewed Warlock Patrons*, and so I thought I would fix that.

If you have created your own Warlock patron, and if you feel like sharing it with your fellow gamers on ENWorld, maybe getting some feedback or suggestions along the way, I'd like to invite you to post it here in this thread.

-----
*Okay, I didn't look very hard. Thirty seconds on Google, tops.

It’s rather different, but here’s one I used in my Eberron campaigns. The guy playing the warlock in that game got really concerned when his previous patron revealed that its goal was to destroy the Church of the Silver Flame and replace it with a particularly nasty Cult of the Dragon Below. I gave him three new patron options to choose from and this is the one he picked:

T3-KNA
The Cyborg Queen, Techna

Subclass: any, reflavored as “Pact of the Future”
Alignment: any Lawful
Weapon: Whip
Familiar: Tiny Robot “Mayfly”
Tome: Handheld metal disc that projects a holographic image.

The Cyborg Queen is the reigning monarch of a possible future nation. Using the magitech of her own future time, she injects her chosen warlocks in the present day with nanites that grant them their pact magic (and certain other warlock class features if you choose her as your patron).

T3-KNA takes the form of a human female with metallic gray skin and twenty octopus-like robotic tentacles sprouting from the top of her head. Her eyes glow with a blue light.

Not mine but my DM's...

Baba yaga an egnomatic wandering 'witch' that saved people at random (but also sometimes hunted/killed people also at random) or so it seemed... if she saved you, you MIGHT get her blessing. If you do you loose some physical quility and gain your choice of 'hexblade, Fey or infernal' pact... yes 1 patron that had all 3.

You never HAD to do what she said, but it was known that anyone taking her deal would one day have her ask for a favor... no one was sure what was scarier her attacking you for refuseing... or her excepting it and walkingaway like it was no big deal.

when I was asked to kill the 'fake' queen of winter we found out she was the TRUE Mab, who was 'killed' descended into hell then regained her power by becoming a hag then a lord... she did so because she always knew this was possible and had absorbed part of the shadow fell into her and then made a series of special weapons that she hid like 'not phylactories'

not only did I say okay, but my party then fought our way into the winter court and killed the usurper.

Remove ads