D&D 5E Should D&D Next be having the obvious problems that it's having at this point in the playtest?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I'll repeat: This is exactly what playtesters are for.

It's completely unrealistic to expect WotC to test each monster against each possible fight permutation. That's why there is this gigantic open playtest! I'm not really sure what you think the playtest is for, if not to ferret out these issues- and especially during alpha testing, there are going to be TONS of these things that come up. Our purpose (as playtesters) is to find them, report them and let the designers fix them... then check next packet for improvement or backsliding. We are the guys who are running the test battle you want. The open playtest is not just an excuse to give the game away for free; it's actually, by God, to test the system.

Again, Mearls has stated we're in alpha. Expecting a smooth, finished system in alpha is just silly. Even if we were beta testing, we should expect to uncover problems, and instead of going, "zomg problems!" we should report them in our feedback so they can be fixed. That's what we are for. The playtest documents aren't just a free new game.

Playtesters are the second set of eyes that are supposed to filter the errors after the initial group has filtered their share. The designers shouldn't slack off and rely on the playtesters to all the errors.

We are talking about some obscure creature from the Monster Manual 6, we are talking about a creature that has been around since day one and is the iconic creature that a "group" of high level PC's are supposed to fight.

I'm sorry if all your faith is in their ability and you don't want to see it challenged but so far they are all over the shop and it's not looking good.

S

Sunseeker

I think what the OP is saying though is that... well since they have publicly said they are on further play tests, why are we still having problems of the fundamental game? If they are starting to do other stuff why are we still in limbo after a bit more than half a year later still having major balance issues with the core game? At least that's my question. It doesn't give me very much confidence that they are already going on to test stuff that they will have to change significantly after getting feed back from these playtests.

I'm not sure why people keep making this claim, when damage numbers are a simple externality, not a "fundamental game" thing. I mean noone has actually mentioned anything fundamentally wrong with DDN. The entirety of the problems cited have nothing to do with the fundamental structure of the game.

That's all well and good, but why are they going and starting -SEVERAL- playtest packets ahead of us when they are just going to change the stuff we are telling them here?
I hate to Rules Lawyer here, but "several" means nothing, a long-time follower of Mark Rosewater from the MTG side of Wizards, you learn that "double the number of dinosaurs" is pointless if the original number of dinosaurs is ZERO. Furthermore, WOTC hasn't said they're several packets ahead, only several WIP's(or similar language), they don't even MAKE a playtest package until they're ready to give it to up.

It makes no logical sense no matter which way you spin it. Especially from the revisions I have seen this play test go through. There are some sweeping changes to the game. Why aren't they focusing on the here and now. They need to STICK with something and get it absolutely right before moving on.
This is absolutely NOT how BETA tests work. You develop a rough framework for the game, you start adding on this and that, some of those things develop faster and easier than others. It's not a linear progression from A to Z, sometimes F gets finished before D but after Q. AND: if WOTC "stuck with something" until they got it "absolutely right", it would negate the whole point of the playtest! You can't playtest Fighters without having Wizards in the game, you can't playtest 1-5 without some vague idea of where 10-20 might be.

This is why the play test will fail is because they are on some materials that's way ahead of this packet, then they get feed back, change whats in this packet, which will trickle down to the more complicated stuff, but then WAIT they already have some of the core fundamental aspects of that in place which they will have to change because of what we said.

God it's such a crappy way of work flow. You are essentially doing twice the work.
It's VERY common, almost every beta test works this way. Even before they release the test package, the devs are already finding new bugs, errors and trying out new ideas. So by the time we actually get to see the test package, developers are already two or three steps ahead of us, having found a great many of the problems with the system as-is already. And yes, sometimes even things that seem to be set in stone will get changed in later test packages, and then once the game comes out, those things might not even be included at all! This is pretty typical for bets tests.

I'm a little worried that maybe Wizards is leaving too much up to the playtest and then blame the people if the game doesn't turn out right. "This is what you people asked for so it's not our fault it failed".
It's possible, and to be fair I wouldn't blame them if they did! It's exactly what we asked for, we wanted more say in the development, we wanted more communication with developers, so when we ask for the moon and they deliver it to us, it certainly is our own fault when we find out it isn't made out of cheese.

It's not unrealistic, it's establishing a functioning base mechanic before jumping off to something else. Other gaming companies do it so why does Wizards think they need to go a different route. Right now the playtest looks like a jumbled mess that will take them ages to get out of. I mean they have already jumped to level 20 before taking care of level 1 to 5.
A base mechanic for WHAT? I mean you all keep claiming DDN lacks these mystical "base mechanics" and "fundamental" things...but you haven't mentioned anything specifically other than damage levels, which are neither base mechanics nor fundamental, and are very easy to tune up or down with little to no impact on the game at large.

Why does Wizards go a different route? I don't know, why does anyone every bother to try anything other than the norm? Maybe because...they want to? Because they think it's better? Hey it's nice that you think these other guys have the right ideas...but here's a surprise, the world of ideas aren't limited to what those guys have already done.

Honestly I do not feel as badly about the playtest as you do, it doesn't feel jumbled or like a mess. The majority of the packet is pretty clear, and oh no...there's room to abuse a 9th-level spell? Well it's a 9th-level spell, so no surprise there(thank god for 4e and getting rid of this sort of crap entirely).

Uhm... the combat system is definitely there (and I agree also that damage is not hard to adjust and will be adjusted), but I couldn't honestly say that the other systems are in place, because major things such as the spellcasting mechanic (of the Wizard), how martial damage dice is used by others than Fighter, and how skills work, have all changed in the last packet (skills and martial dice also changed in practically all the previous packets). Therefore there is no sign that their current version will be the last.
I'm not sure what's wrong with the spellcasting mechanic other than it's an interesting hybrid of previous systems. ANd I suspect that with how much we've seen martial damage dice change, it's possible they may not be a Core, fundamental element, and might simply be an interesting option WOTC is playtesting early.

Playtesters are the second set of eyes that are supposed to filter the errors after the initial group has filtered their share. The designers shouldn't slack off and rely on the playtesters to all the errors.

We are talking about some obscure creature from the Monster Manual 6, we are talking about a creature that has been around since day one and is the iconic creature that a "group" of high level PC's are supposed to fight.

I'm sorry if all your faith is in their ability and you don't want to see it challenged but so far they are all over the shop and it's not looking good IN MY OPINON.

Fixed that for you. I really would appreciate if you would stop presenting your opinion as fact. It's detrimental to the discussion.

Here's an example from my betatesting past.
I tested SWTOR early on, it was a very rough game and there were particularly glaring issues in it's development. I was upset and felt like we were getting yanked around by the devs when non of the "obvious" stuff changed and lots of weird other things were made even worse. So I quit for about a year. When I came back to testing I was astonished at the game I was looking at. Not simply because it was so much better, but because it was so different. Aside from still being Star Wars, it felt like an entirely different game.

With "sometime in 2014" as a release date, which will no doubt be moved to 2015, WOTC may produce a product that is utterly unlike anything we are playtesting now.

You sound like you are getting burned in the way I did, so I really suggest you take a break from it. Kick back, take a back-seat and just watch from a distance, or don't watch at all. Check back at the end of 2013 and see where WOTC is on the project. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Nope.

One of the constant problems throughout all editions of D&D, especially pre-4th, is how high-level play mechanics were (not) developed: they always felt like a tacked-on part of the game that didn't work well with how lower-level games played and felt.

4th edition had another kind of problem: putting aside the fact that material was under-developed for high levels (especially monsters), high levels exacerbate the problems of 4th ed, that is the way combat took a zillion years.

If you develop high-level play only after low-level play is almost locked up, you will get the same results.

High levels MUST be developed in parallel to low levels, NOT after.

Sage - your post makes it looks like I agreed with the quote above mine in your post - which is not the case. Please edit - thanks!

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Nope.

One of the constant problems throughout all editions of D&D, especially pre-4th, is how high-level play mechanics were (not) developed: they always felt like a tacked-on part of the game that didn't work well with how lower-level games played and felt.

4th edition had another kind of problem: putting aside the fact that material was under-developed for high levels (especially monsters), high levels exacerbate the problems of 4th ed, that is the way combat took a zillion years.

If you develop high-level play only after low-level play is almost locked up, you will get the same results.

High levels MUST be developed in parallel to low levels, NOT after.

I disagree immensely.

You gave to be able to walk before you can run so trying to run while learning to walk isn't a great idea. Also, you could end up wasting a lot of time worrying about high level when you haven't gotten the core mechanics solid. What happens if you have to completely scrap the high level material because you had to go back and change the core material. You don't worry about finishing the roof before you've got all four walls of your house up. It makes more sense to establish a solid foundation and it's clear that Wizards is not doing this.

SageMinerve

Explorer
Sage - your post makes it looks like I agreed with the quote above mine in your post - which is not the case. Please edit - thanks!

So sorry about that, I got mixed up putting the two quotes...

Edited my original post to show the right person as the author of that quote.

Again, sorry about that!

SageMinerve

Explorer
I disagree immensely.

You gave to be able to walk before you can run so trying to run while learning to walk isn't a great idea. Also, you could end up wasting a lot of time worrying about high level when you haven't gotten the core mechanics solid. What happens if you have to completely scrap the high level material because you had to go back and change the core material. You don't worry about finishing the roof before you've got all four walls of your house up. It makes more sense to establish a solid foundation and it's clear that Wizards is not doing this.

Well, you seem in this quote to consider low-levels and high-levels as two separate things, almost two separate games!

Why should high levels and low levels be developed as two separate things? Why consider high-levels as not part of core?

And if indeed it is two different things (which I disagree with), what's the limit? Lvl 10? 15? 20? Why put an arbitrary limit between core levels and high-levels?

It is IMO the error that's always almost always been made before, as I wrote in my previous post.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Well, you seem in this quote to consider low-levels and high-levels as two separate things, almost two separate games!

Why should high levels and low levels be developed as two separate things?

It is IMO the error that's always almost always been made before, as I wrote in my previous post.

Because they are two separate things. I don't think too many people want high level to feel like low level because there would be no point in level if they all felt the same. People want higher levels to feel like higher levels whether it's getting more actions in a round to dealing with greater numbers. Making level 1 through 20 is very redundant and will put player's and GM's off.

SageMinerve

Explorer
Because they are two separate things. I don't think too many people want high level to feel like low level because there would be no point in level if they all felt the same. People want higher levels to feel like higher levels whether it's getting more actions in a round to dealing with greater numbers. Making level 1 through 20 is very redundant and will put player's and GM's off.

As far as the "feel" is concerned, I agree that high-level can, does and should feel different than low-level play. However, that doesn't imply that high-level play shouldn't use core mechanics and / or that it shouldn't be developed alongside low-level mechanics so that one seamlessly flows into the other as a character goes up in levels.

S

Sunseeker

No...it really isn't considering that's how, oh, I dunno...the incredibly vast majority of games with levels are designed?

Threads on these boards have demonstrated that people have a lot of different ideas on what "high level" and "low level" play is, and it gets even worse when you try to figure out where it begins or ends. For some games "high level may be anything over level 6, for others, it might take to level 15. Some people want a distinct change in the game, from being low-level adventurers, to being high-level empire builders. Other people want a more "heroic" feel to the adventuring, being the right-hand of a powerful King or God, slaying unimaginable monsters in much the same way they did before.

Of course levels 1-20 aren't going to be identical. But they may not be distinctly different either. Rolling 3 dice is not all that distinct from rolling one.

Stormonu

Legend
I think your expectations are unrealistic. WOTC is not just retooling an existing edition as Paizo did. It is attempting to build a whole new one and combine popular elements of previous editions. Further, you are comparing a completed, established, refined game to a BETA.

And I think this may be a mistake, if that's what they're doing. We don't need a "new" D&D - we just need an improved D&D.

Remove ads