D&D 5E Skills in 5E. Do we want them?

How would you like Skills to be in D&D5E?

• Same as they are in 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Votes: 40 24.0%
  • Limited skill lists based on Class and Level (like 4E)

Votes: 48 28.7%
  • No skills - just Class and Level based Abilities (like C&C)

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • A simple skill list like Pathfinder Beginners.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • More Skills.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Something else - please detail.

Votes: 37 22.2%

Frostmarrow

First Post
I like skills the way they are described by Mearls in September.

There are no skills persay. Abilities are what you roll for everything. However, certain activities receive a bonus based on , say, either feat choices or special ability choices.

Instead of class skills, classes give a set ability bonus for certain abilities. Fighters strength and constitution, wizards intelligenct etc.

Race
human str cha con
dwarf str con wis
elf int dex wis

Class
fighter str dex con
rogue int cha dex
bard int cha wis

Role
sage int cha wis
explorer dex con wis
scout int wis dex

Something like this. Pick Race+Class+Role. All your abilty scores start at 8. Add +3 for every instance a certain ability score comes up.

Human+Fighter+Sage gives you Str 14, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 14
Elf+Rogue+Explorer gives you Str 8, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 11

Maybe an advanced model gives you +2 per mention but in return allow you to pick feats that make you just as competent anyway.

nightwalker450

First Post
I like the idea of removing level from the skills.
+3 for Trained, +2 for mastery, +1 from racial.

Make sure that we don't tie number of skills to stats (ie Intelligence), since the skills are not all based on intelligence.

Also I'd prefer that we get rid of the concept of cross class skills/non class skills. All characters should be able to learn skills regardless of their class.

Aldarc

Legend
If the L&L articles are any indication, skills will likely not operate as "skills" but as modified ability checks, in which you do not get +2 to Skill X, but +2 to Ability Checks pertaining to Skill X. There may be a skill tier system (i.e., novice, journeyman, expert, etc.) that ensures automatic success with certain tasks demarcated by a designated tier of difficulty, but then requires ability checks if the skill required is above that level of difficulty. It's essentially a way to avoid skill point inflation and the race to acquire basic skills simply to be adequate. But there may also be "talents" that allow you to improve your ability checks and improve your ability to perform certain related tasks (e.g. Climb: climb faster, climb without falling on fail, aid others climbing, climb horizontally, etc.). This proposed system sounds exceptionally simplified and elegant.

Wormwood

Adventurer
This proposed system sounds exceptionally simplified and elegant.
Played a retroclone last week with new D&D players using a system nearly identical to this (essentially the same system we used back in 1984). Worked so well that I actually resent my next 4e skill challenge.

Number48

First Post
I have devised a magical way to deal with so many of the problems with skills, but still keep a semblance of them because, dammit, we want our characters to know things and be different.

Primary and secondary classes (and tertiary, probably). Primary class = this is how I kill things. Secondary class = this is how I interact with people and the world around me. Everything that we would currently put under skills would go to your secondary class choice as well as non-combat class abilities.

The secondary class would give you a certain amount of things that you sometimes succeed at and a certain amount of things you always succeed at. Maybe these are chosen from a limited list for that class, maybe the only choice is which class you take. Some classes have a lot of sometimes but no always. Some classes have a few always, but almost no sometimes. In addition, the player would be encouraged to describe their ability in the way that makes sense for them. Open locks could be picking it with little tools, or it could be a whispered spell, or even a stroke of magnificent luck.

The best part about this system is that it would give you the ability to truly make that character you envisioned. Want a sneaky wizard? Magic damage and roguish skill/ability set. Want that nobleman? Fighter damage and aristocrat skill/ability set. Want the tricksy guy who knows some charms? Roguish fighting with a magical skill/ability set.

The best part is that the combat class offers virtually nothing to noncombat and the noncombat class offers virtually nothing to combat, making all combinations equally valid, equal in power.

Making the character starting from higher level wouldn't be too tough. Every level, choose the combat ability you gain, choose the noncombat ability you gain, write down the automatic abilities you gain then pick a feat or an ability increase if you get one that level. Fairly easy but complex enough to suit a nuanced game. I envision feats still being around, but you'd have to decide to spend your one feat on something for only one of your classes. This is where the campaign-specific differences come in. For a one-off game, take all those combat feats. If you're playing in my weekly campaign, I might suggest a goodly amount of noncombat feats.

In keeping with letting the player choose their own fluff, I want the skill-type abilities to be more general. Academica: Stuff you learned in school, or maybe that your summoned imps tell you. Geometry, Astrology, History, etc. Getting There: Any check in a situation that involves getting from here to there. It might be acrobatics, athletics, jump or climb as long as it involves moving from one spot to another, but you can describe is a ninja leap, a teleport or turning to shadow and slipping over. So the skills/abilities are more about the type of result than the method to obtain a result.

Now, how do I get all my ideas to Monte?

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Should skill chance of success be fixed, dynamic or changing?

Fixed: A set chance of success that doesn't increase with level (65%).

Dynamic: Skills increase but som does the difficulty. Chance of success stays roughly the same (~65%).

Changing: Skills increase with level. Chance of success starts low and becomes high (35%-90%).

Hassassin

First Post
Should skill chance of success be fixed, dynamic or changing?

Fixed: A set chance of success that doesn't increase with level (65%).

Dynamic: Skills increase but som does the difficulty. Chance of success stays roughly the same (~65%).

Changing: Skills increase with level. Chance of success starts low and becomes high (35%-90%).

Chance should always be variable, since some tasks are inherently easy (climb a knotted rope), while others are hard (climb a stone wall with few hand/foot holds).

The question is if skills should increase with level or not. I don't see a good reason why not, since weapon skills do.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Chance should always be variable, since some tasks are inherently easy (climb a knotted rope), while others are hard (climb a stone wall with few hand/foot holds).

The question is if skills should increase with level or not. I don't see a good reason why not, since weapon skills do.

There are three difficulties. Things you can do (no roll), things maybe you can do (roll skill check) and things you can't (no roll). If you can't do it you must improve your situation via other means.

Now there are some things introduced in 4E that I don't like (Roles + Powers mainly), but other aspects of the game that I am quite ambivilant about. Skills are one them. The thing is that the fully integrated Skill list was only really introduced in 3E, which at the time seemed like an epiphany had finally been reached in the game. Every other game around was a skill-based by that time, so why shouldn't D&D finally catch up?

However, Castles and Crusades changed my mind about it somewhat. The thing is, D&D isn't a skill-based game by tradition - it's a Class and Level based system and the only true Skills we saw for the Thief went up by level. Some people think this is unrealistic - but then they can freely choose to play RuneQuest if they prefer otherwise. Moreover, skill ranks and lists themselves are, in truth, just as much of an abstraction as 'Class and Level' are. It's just a different way of doing things.

Now if you manage to base a system on the Six core Abilities with a bonus determined by Class and Level (in a manner similar to Castles and Crusades SIEGE Engine, or 4E's 1/2 Level bonus), it does make the game a little bit simpler. Moreover, if you remove Skills and Feats from the core rules - and rely strictly upon Class Ability options presented within the Class description itself - it does cut out two rather massive chapters of the book and reduce the complexity (and page count) quite substantially.

Controversial? Maybe, but here's a poll and thread to say what you think!

Meh, the skills chapter in 4e is THE shortest chapter of the PHB. Simple, direct, folds in your old thief skills and a few other things into a few broad strokes that quickly tell you a good bit about what your character is about and how he approaches the world. Its very little complexity added compared to the amount that is gained.

You can argue that no skills at all remove a layer of abstraction and puts the player more in touch with the fantasy world, but you can also ask questions like "why do we have attributes?". The answer is because we want to create imaginary fantasy selves that have their own inner life, and we want to be able to have hooks on which to build that fantasy person.

This is why I like the 4e style short list of 'skills'. I put quotes around that for a reason, because they aren't really skills. Nobody in the real world is good at "Athletics" or "Thievery" or "Perception" as a skill. Those things are code words for the kind of person your character is. Is he one that confronts problems with vigorous physical action? Is he one that is sly and quick with his hands? Is he watchful and observant? What is his typical M.O.? Does he get what he wants by lying and bluster (Bluff), conciliation and negotiation (Diplomacy), or threats and cajoling (Intimidate)?

I think if there's a real criticism to be made against the way 4e did it is simply that the idea isn't fully formed. I think instead of having skill modifiers in 17 skills it would be better to simply note which way the character does things. Is he a Bluffer, a Negotiator, or an Intimidator by nature and when there's a social interaction let that dictate the flow the interaction. If the situation dictates a different approach then said character's Charisma is simply less effective.

This works for knowledge too. Is the character more studious, more intuitive, or more perceptive/insightful. Rarely does someone who is studious know all about one field and nothing about others. Certainly not in a medieval sort of world where all knowledge was held to be part of one whole (the term 'University' is a medieval scholastic term referring to the teaching of the universal knowledge, there were no separate subjects in the medieval university, everyone had one course of study). Other people use intuition and common sense reasoning instead of book learning, and others rely on careful observation and study. Again, the approach and the situation can determine how effective a given character's intellect is in a given situation.

We can repeat this exercise with people's approach to physical challenges. Do they bull through with strength, do they win through with persistence, or do they rely more on agility?

Maybe not all of these things DO need to be broken out from ability scores, particularly the physical skills feel pretty redundant, but I think the social ones are particularly interesting in what they can tell you about your character. So maybe in essence what we need is something that in the end looks more like 'traits' than skills per-se. Once you do that you can relegate the details of "which things does my character know" to something like 4e's backgrounds where you can simply define a general area of knowledge your character has based on his profession or upbringing. If a player needs to get more precise and narrow that down and create a PC who's an expert on Birds or something then they just write it down and the DM always gives you accurate information on that specific thing.

Remove ads