• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I wonder if by using different subcontractors to make their APs WotC won't be able to build in-house experience with APs like Paizo has. In others words, they won't learn from their errors and successes to make better products because other people will always write the AP.

At Paizo they made a lot of adventures for Dungeon mag and wrote The Shackled City AP before arriving at Age of Worm and Rise of the Rune Lord. If they feel confortable doing an experimental AP like Hell's Vengeance (where PCs will be evil), it is in part because of the expertice they accumulated over the years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder if by using different subcontractors to make their APs WotC won't be able to build in-house experience with APs like Paizo has. In others words, they won't learn from their errors and successes to make better products because other people will always write the AP.

At Paizo they made a lot of adventures for Dungeon mag and wrote The Shackled City AP before arriving at Age of Worm and Rise of the Rune Lord. If they feel confortable doing an experimental AP like Hell's Vengeance (where PCs will be evil), it is in part because of the expertice they accumulated over the years.

You make a good point, for sure. But based on what has been said above, WOTC is being very hands on in this process, so something will develop. And the institutional experience of the contractors, like Green Ronin, can mean a lot.

Kramodlog

You make a good point, for sure. But based on what has been said above, WOTC is being very hands on in this process, so something will develop. And the institutional experience of the contractors, like Green Ronin, can mean a lot.

Are you sure WotC is very hands on? Storywise, I have no doubt about that, but the post that showed who does what showed that contractors do a lot. It also shows a potentially complexe relation between WotC and the contractor. That can lead to confusion.

Also, APs are another beast altogether. Even people with experience (e.g. Paizo) can produce below average material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Are you sure WotC is very hands on? Storywise, I have no doubt about that, but the post that showed who does what showed that contractors do a lot. It also shows a potentially complexe relation between WotC and the contractor. That can lead to confusion.

Also, APs are another beast altogether. Even people with experience (e.g. Paizo) can produce below average material.

Based on what Baker and Baur have said, yes, in regards to feedback, particularly play testing. It is a different kind of institutional knowledge, for sure, but not nothing.

Kramodlog

Based on what Baker and Baur have said, yes, in regards to feedback, particularly play testing. It is a different kind of institutional knowledge, for sure, but not nothing.

Have they said anything? I was a bit surprised how Baker did very little promotion for PotA. Not sure if Baur did more for Tiamat's fun adventure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have they said anything? I was a bit surprised how Baker did very little promotion for PotA. Not sure if Baur did more for Tiamat's fun adventure.

Also, per Baker's blog, he thinks Chris Perkins should have top billing for the amount of work he did on Princes of the Apocalypse.

Remove ads