So, after the Green Ronin announcement, I am...

After hearing Green Ronin's announcement, I am ...

• Thrilled! I was hoping for a Dragon Age RPG!

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Not what I was expecting, but interested.

Votes: 25 9.0%
  • Cautiously interested. GR could make something cool here.

Votes: 56 20.1%
  • Simply not interested, end of story.

Votes: 56 20.1%
  • Uninterested, and rather disappointed there was a timer for this.

Votes: 92 33.0%
  • I am a special snowflake and deny your poll options.

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • I am Chris Pramas

Votes: 20 7.2%

The Green Adam

First Post
Just a thought...based on this thread Mass Effect would seem a much more popular choice.

Too bad WotC has Star Wars. A Bioware/Green Ronin product based on the upcoming Old Republic MMO would rock all kinds of butt. ;)

AD
Barking Alien

Festivus

First Post
I am very interested in Dragon Age, the PC game, particularly with Bioware's track record for these sorts of things. I'll just beg and plead for a GM client one last time.

A pen and paper version of a computer game? I don't see myself buying it and can't get excited about it. Haven't we seen this with Everquest, World of Warcraft, and a few others already to mediocre success?

Cadfan

First Post
Apparently there's a prequel novel? Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne?

Anyone know anything about it?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Stolen-David-Gaider/dp/0765324083/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241579506&sr=8-2"]Amazon link.[/ame]

takyris

First Post
As a BioWarean, I'm bummed at the negative reaction. I'm not on DA, and the first I heard about this was today on Green Ronin's page. I was jazzed to hear that we were getting a PnP game from one of the best companies out there, specifically one that has been good at creating crunch mechanics that respect and build on the IP they're working with.

But that's the viewpoint of someone who's mostly a CRPGer these days, since the kids ended our gaming last year. I can understand how PnP roleplaying fans, who haven't been following DA, will just look at this and shrug.

I don't think it's just another D&D game, of course. But until we've got a game out there to show people, there's not much beyond "No, really, it's good!" to back that up.

RefinedBean

First Post
Anything that's good for GR is good for our industry, so yay! :)

Unfortunately, anything that EA touches turns to...well. Turns to SOMETHING.

So right now, I'll consider this a wash. If anything, this thread made me go to the Dragon Age website. The little video they showed didn't have a dragon in it, so I'm writing it off.

Cadfan

First Post
takyris- I don't think most people doubt that the game Dragon Age will be a good game. Even if it had absolutely nothing to recommend it except that it was an RPG with Bioware's general level of skill and production value, it would probably be a good game.

But seriously, I spent a little time today trying to figure out what Dragon Age was about. Came up with almost nothing. I did everything except trawl the Bioware forums and/or read the preview novel, which I think is fair.

And here's what I learned, not counting things I learned about game mechanics since they won't apply to the RPG.

1. Backgrounds are important and affect how people treat you.
2. Its got villages, militias, blacksmiths, and marauding undead.
3. Also ogres.
4. You can be a fighter, rogue, or wizard.
5. Wizards can get to be a bit dark.
6. Bioware swears up and down that the gameworld has 5000 years of history, that the plot involves intrigue, politics, and mystery, and that the game world is really deep and interesting.

That's about it.

I mean, if I've got the money on hand when the game comes out (which means not only the money for the game, but also to upgrade my computer), I'll probably buy it on the strength of the developer's name. But I really have no idea what makes the game world a unique place, or in any way different from your typical generic european medieval fantasy world. And that's after actually trying to learn, from your site, and from reviews.

Obryn

Hero
But that's the viewpoint of someone who's mostly a CRPGer these days, since the kids ended our gaming last year. I can understand how PnP roleplaying fans, who haven't been following DA, will just look at this and shrug.

I don't think it's just another D&D game, of course. But until we've got a game out there to show people, there's not much beyond "No, really, it's good!" to back that up.
Well, it's not quite that. I don't even think enthusiasm about Dragon Age plays into it, to be honest.

It's more like, "I have five or more editions of D&D, WFRP, Earthdawn, True20, and any number of other easily-adaptable fantasy and/or generic RPGs. What would a Dragon Age RPG give me that is (1) not easily reproducible in one of these; and (2) better enough that I'd want to both buy into a new system and convince my group to do the same, while putting our very enjoyable current games on hold."

It's a hard sell, is all. A new fantasy RPG in a market that's glutted with fantasy RPGs? I'm skeptical, to say the least. CRPG tie-ins don't necessarily help, either - remember the Everquest and World of Warcraft TTRPGs? They didn't light the market on fire. Even if it's the best setting ever made, why would I need a new RPG for it?

I don't think most of us have been given enough information to become excited about it. Right now, it's just another fantasy RPG with a tie-in.

Now, with that said, I have a lot of faith in Green Ronin. They make some damn fine games, and if anyone can pull it off, they can. I'm skeptical, is all.

-O

catsclaw227

First Post
What? Dark Tower as a major license? Could this mention mean we might see a 4E version of Dark Tower?
Actually, JJ Abrams and his producing partner have the film/TV license to Dark Tower. There's even recent news here, and here.

With regards to Green Ronin's license, I voted Meh... but after reading Scott's words, I would move my vote to "Cautious, but it's GR, so it should be something Cool".

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Do you mean viable as in commercially viable?

I've had some good ideas on how to write a "magical school" rpg, complete with scaling things based on maturity level much like the HP books did. But you're probably right, I'd be aiming it at young adults and I don't think that even my best idea in the hands of the biggest gaming company would be commercially viable given the likely costs of obtaining the license.

Might make a good indie game for me to put together someday, though.

I don't want to hijack the thread but since you asked I'll bite.

For sure it would not be realistic for Green Ronin (or pretty much any other RPG company) to pull off a financially viable Harry Potter RPG. I don't even know if WOtC could pull it off (we had the HP TCG and that didn't last too long). I feel the need to cover myself and say I am speculating and using an educated guess on financials.

1) Cost. HP is a mega brand and will cost a lot of money to license. I would guess it would require a 15% royalty with a minimum $100,000 a year royalty guarantee and possible minimum marketing spend. My guess is a company may be in hole for $750,000 in sunk costs before you've shipped book one (pre-marketing spend).

2) Approvals. When WOTC did the TCG Warner Brothers managed the property very closely and had a very tight style guide and brand bible. With any property managed like this it would be difficult for an RPG company to have the latitude to make an RPG that was open enough to give players ability to author their own stories and make the game their own. RPGs need a big world for people to play in or give players the tools to add to the world themselves. I don't think HP offers either of these options.

3) The property. These are great stories with magic, monsters, and colorful characters but because of #2 it is not likely to be a deep enough world to make for good roleplaying. It especially doesn't have the depth to capture the current table top RPG audieince beyond a passing curiosity so this would need to be a younger skewing RPG.

4) Audience. Because the primary fan base for HP licensed toys and games skews young (6-12 YO), to launch a pen and paper RPG based on the property you'll have to be in the big box stores (WalMart, TRU, Target, etc) as well as the book trade. To do this launch right and have enough marketing to drive awareness you need to tie it to a movie release (capture the halo effect from other licensees and the movie hype). This means you'll be spending a lot of money on marketing. My guess is it will require a $5 million dollar spend with a 1 month window of opportunity before your game is headed for the markdown bin (AKA DOA).

So in conclusion, no I don't think HP would be a viable RPG.

Dark Tower on the other hand has a ton of depth. I think it would make a great RPG setting because it has an interesting mix of sci-fi, Arthurian legend, old west, post apocalyptic futurism, fantasy, and real world. The band of gunslingers have been to multiple locales, worlds, time periods and there is tons of room to expand the world in a points of light type of treatment. You could have many classes and great NPCs. One of my favorite NPCs is the psychic vampire Dandelo who feeds of the emotions of it's victims.

Last edited:

Remove ads