So, What's The Challenge Rating Of All Those Demon Lords?

Out of the Abyss is out today in selected game stores (it'll be out elsewhere on September 15th), and many folks have already gotten their copies. As details trickle in (Drizzt is not in the adventure), here's one quick tidbit courtesy of EN World member Evandis: the Challenge Rating of the eight demon lords who are rampaging around the Underdark! Head down to your local game store (assuming it's a Wizards Play Network store) today to grab the adventure, produced for WotC by Green Ronin.

Out of the Abyss is out today in selected game stores (it'll be out elsewhere on September 15th), and many folks have already gotten their copies. As details trickle in (Drizzt is not in the adventure), here's one quick tidbit courtesy of EN World member Evandis: the Challenge Rating of the eight demon lords who are rampaging around the Underdark! Head down to your local game store (assuming it's a Wizards Play Network store) today to grab the adventure, produced for WotC by Green Ronin.

Baphomet CR 23
Fraz-Urb'luu CR 23
Juiblex CR 23
Zuggtmoy CR 23
Graz'zt CR 24
Yeenoghu CR 24
Demogorgon CR 26
Orcus CR 26

outoftheabyss.jpg

Benji

First Post
I LOVE that people got so caught up about Driz and he's not even in the adventure. That's a lot of wasted effort and pain people put themselves through due to rumour. Maybe in future all of us (me included) won't make so many assumptions.

rets82

First Post
What!!? If Drizzt is not in it I'm not buying it! Rage rage!! OMG this is the worst thing that has ever happened. D&D is ruined forever!!

Am I doing it right?

Remathilis

Legend
Only if at least half of the party members are GWM paladins with magical great swords.

Hmm...

Two paladins, GWM types
A Life Cleric/Druid1
A Diviner wizard
An Assassin Rogue/Fighter 2 with Sharp Shooter

Diviner uses Portent to make sure assassin rogue hits with his bow (and/or lower the Demon Lords Init) for Guaranteed opening crit/assassinate, the paladins smite each attack with GWM, Cleric uses Bless and Lifeberries for popup healing, wizard using haste on the paladins and rogue.

occam

Adventurer
Personally, I'd swap [and shall] Juiblex and Yeenoghu. Maybe make Jui 25, even.

I know he's not "sexy", but Juiblex has been on the list [original MM] since before Grazzt [introduced in Lost Caverns and printed in MM2] or "Yeeno" [in DDG]...show a slime sum luv.

Yeenoghu was in the original Monster Manual, along with Juiblex. And Juiblex was a chump, the least powerful of the demon lords in that book. I think it's appropriate that he's still relatively weak.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm misremembering then...for some reason I thought he wasn't around until FF. In that case...well, I'll just move Juiblex up...make him not a chump ;)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeenoghu was in the original Monster Manual, along with Juiblex. And Juiblex was a chump, the least powerful of the demon lords in that book. I think it's appropriate that he's still relatively weak.

I don't know. Looking at their stats, I'd almost rather fight Yeenoghu than Juiblex. The gnoll lord is all about straight damage and pushing. Juiblex is all about higher DC restraining and poison and ruining your items. It has an eject slime attack that not only does a lot of damage, but armor suffers a permanent -1 penalty to AC and weapons suffer a permanent -1 to damage each time they are hit by it.

Remove ads

Remove ads