So who all plans on playing DDO?

Will DDO be part of your life?

• Absolutely! Ill play this game every day of my life.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Possibly, depends how it turns out and adapts the rules.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • No, i dont do that stuff.

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • Whats DDO? and for that matter whats an MMORPG?

Votes: 3 3.4%

RithTheAwakener

First Post
After playing D&D for so long i figure i have to play this MMO. And after i heard that over 150,000 people applied for the beta, i assume that a bunch of potential players must be on this thread! So, if you plan on playing, what kind of character are you hoping to make and why?

Bagpuss

Legend
After playing Guildwars I don't see the point in paying a monthly fee on top of the box price to play an online PC game.

Graf

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
After playing Guildwars I don't see the point in paying a monthly fee on top of the box price to play an online PC game.
The point could be summed up as: "continuously taking in fees enables the creators of a game to continously add new content". AKA you get what you pay for.
(Not a value judgement about guildwars. But the most popular games, as measured by player base, have monthly fees.)

Numion

First Post
RithTheAwakener said:
After playing D&D for so long i figure i have to play this MMO. And after i heard that over 150,000 people applied for the beta, i assume that a bunch of potential players must be on this thread! So, if you plan on playing, what kind of character are you hoping to make and why?

:confused: :confused:

DDO? MMO?

Jupp

Explorer
I will try it for sure, the question is if I will keep playing after the free month. After all those MMOs I've tried throughout the years only UltimaOnline was able to hold up my interest for more than a few months. After some time all MMOs tend to degrade either in an elitists race for the best gear or into a PK fest of the lowest kind....or both together :D . And I have yet to see an MMO where there is a really interesting background, rich story and quests other than the 08/15 FedEx job or the "Kill all monsters, then come back" task.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Jupp said:
After all those MMOs I've tried throughout the years only UltimaOnline was able to hold up my interest for more than a few months.

Ditto. And that was (for me) back when it was still a 2D isometric game (Renaissance). I had an account for something liek foru months, and 50 MB of dedicated bandwidth (my house was a hub for one of the first wireless networks available in Kansas). It was great fun, but mainly because my three roommates also had accounts and we had our WAN set up in one room.

And I have yet to see an MMO where there is a really interesting background, rich story and quests other than the 08/15 FedEx job or the "Kill all monsters, then come back" task.

UO had a few - the Trammel/Felucaca story arc with the cities under actual seige and the like was fun, as were some of the guild sponsored quests. I've always wished that somebody would convert the world/s of UO to a table-top RPG. I see many people who start this project but never finish it :(

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Might give it a try... Kinda depends whether I get bored of WoW before it comes out...

Also figure the ruleset could (should?) be very different to PnP DnD if it's going to be fun... so I guess a lot depends on what they do with that?

Quest driven game sounds promising...

Jupp

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
Ditto. And that was (for me) back when it was still a 2D isometric game (Renaissance). I had an account for something liek foru months, and 50 MB of dedicated bandwidth (my house was a hub for one of the first wireless networks available in Kansas). It was great fun, but mainly because my three roommates also had accounts and we had our WAN set up in one room.

I had an UO account from 97 to 01 or so. UO was cool because of the events that were held by the Origin staff, Lord British playing in the game from time to time and because of the very cool people I met there. Honestly I only played the game for so long because of the people playing the game. When this 3d stuff came out I stopped playing. It just wasnt the same anymore. Also you really felt that Origin and Lord British wasnt part of the game anymore. It just lacked...something.

Edit: Yep, the Felucca/Trammel stuff was pure goodness. Prolly the best event UO has ever seen (Aside from the big End-of-Beta event and the server wipe there)

Last edited:

Khairn

First Post
I'll be playing it for certain, but how long I stay is still to be determined.

With D&D Online, Turbine is breaking a couple of MMORPG paradigms (xp for completing quests not for killing mobs, D&D multi-classing etc) and making something that does not fit into the standard MMO format. They are also making efforts to really support the "table top RPG" play-style which should be interesting to see.

By using Eberron as its world setting (city of Stormreach in Xen'drik) it's also connected to one of my campaigns which is kinda neat.

I'm really excited to see how the end product looks and plays.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Jupp said:
I had an UO account from 97 to 01 or so.

I played in about that same time frame, actually - I think on the cusp of 98/99. I know that at least two of my roomies had regular accounts up until Fall of 2000. Out of curiosity, what shard did you typically play on?

UO was cool because of the events that were held by the Origin staff, Lord British playing in the game from time to time and because of the very cool people I met there.

Agreed. My favorite thing were still player-organized excursions to the 2nd Age, however. That said, UO went downhill after Origin fired Lord British. With Garriot out of the way, the game had no real creative direction behind it. I remember the fallout of that lawsuit was taking place right around the time that I quit playing.

[Edit: Never mind. It seems that I can't send PMs.]

Remove ads