So, wizards fight like fighters?

Aaron

First Post
Let's suppose a wizard and a fighter have the same Str score.

Does that mean that, at the same level, they have the same chance of hitting an opponent AC with a weapon attack?

I still can't realize what's behind getting rid of the different babs.

Bandreus

First Post
They just ereased different babs to streamline the rules. This way you don't have to look at different tables to sort out the different bonuses a class gets at different levels.
You just add your ability score modifier + 1/2 level modifier and you have the base bonus for everything

And while a wizard and a fighter with equal STR could have equally effective basic attacks, fighters are supposed to be able to use a number of exploits (including at-will ones) witch of curse set him a part from the wiz for what concerns the STR part of a fight

baberg

First Post
Well, yes and no.

If the attack is made with a weapon both are proficient in (Fighters get almost everything by default, Wizards only have dagger and quarterstaff), they're the same race (Dwarves get a bonus to axes, for instance), assuming no other feats enter into the mix, and assuming you're talking about a basic melee attack, yes, a Fighter and a Wizard have the same chance of hitting.

But that's a helluva lot of assumptions.

Aaron

First Post
Bandreus said:
They just ereased different babs to streamline the rules. This way you don't have to look at different tables to sort out the different bonuses a class gets at different levels.
You just add your ability score modifier + 1/2 level modifier and you have the base bonus for everything

And while a wizard and a fighter with equal STR could have equally effective basic attacks, fighters are supposed to be able to use a number of exploits (including at-will ones) witch of curse set him a part from the wiz for what concerns the STR part of a fight
I see, but I'll admit that's something I need some time to get used to.

A wizard that swings his sword like a proud fighter?

Not very D&D for me.

Aaron said:
Let's suppose a wizard and a fighter have the same Str score.

Does that mean that, at the same level, they have the same chance of hitting an opponent AC with a weapon attack?

I still can't realize what's behind getting rid of the different babs.

Depends on the weapon. With a dagger or a quarterstaff a fighter will only have a +1 to hit higher then a wizard if they both have the same STR and are both using a basic melee attack. That also assumes that the Fighter took the appropriate Weapon Talent, and that there are no other factoring elements like feats. Any other weapon and the fighter will have anywhere from a +3 to a +4 to hit over a wizard.

baberg

First Post
Aaron said:
A wizard that swings his sword like a proud fighter?

Not very D&D for me.
No, the Wizard swings his sword like a competent fighter, a fighter with basic training in melee.

A proud fighter wouldn't be using a basic melee attack, he'd be using Sure Strike for an extra +2 bonus, or be using Power Attack for a -2 attack but +2 damage bonus (or both, for a net +2 damage). And he'd only be doing that against normal foes. When you bust out the big baddies the proud fighter will be doing 3[W]+ damage to each foe by using his daily powers.

Starting to sound more like D&D?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
baberg said:
Well, yes and no.

If the attack is made with a weapon both are proficient in (Fighters get almost everything by default, Wizards only have dagger and quarterstaff), they're the same race (Dwarves get a bonus to axes, for instance), assuming no other feats enter into the mix, and assuming you're talking about a basic melee attack, yes, a Fighter and a Wizard have the same chance of hitting.

But that's a helluva lot of assumptions.

And assuming they've got the same Str, since that is used for basic melee attacks.

That seems to be a pretty big assumption too!

Looking at the (pretty unoptimised) KotS 1st level pregens, I see the 1st Fighter has +6 with his maul, while the 1st level wizard has +2 with his quarterstaff. Sounds about right, no? The dwarfs 16 Str vs the wizards 11 Str factor into that.

thatdarnedbob

First Post
baberg said:
No, the Wizard swings his sword like a competent fighter, a fighter with basic training in melee.

A proud fighter wouldn't be using a basic melee attack, he'd be using Sure Strike for an extra +2 bonus, or be using Power Attack for a -2 attack but +2 damage bonus (or both, for a net +2 damage). And he'd only be doing that against normal foes. When you bust out the big baddies the proud fighter will be doing 3[W]+ damage to each foe by using his daily powers.

Starting to sound more like D&D?

No. In D&D the wizard is better than the fighter at everything except low-level swordplay. None of your fancy fighter powers there.

baberg

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
And assuming they've got the same Str, since that is used for basic melee attacks.

That seems to be a pretty big assumption too!
Agreed, but the original poster stated that in his initial criteria for "the same chance".

When I clicked into this thread I saw the title and thought "Who could confuse a Defender role with a Controller role?" I had wild visions of a Fighter standing back next to the Wizard lobbing smoke grenades and jugs filled with acid while shouting "Wall of Fog! Acid Orb!"

Remove ads